Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-09-2010, 04:02 AM   #11
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

I've been on Cpap for 5 yrs. Where we live, (semi-rural, brownouts and sporadic outages are common; ergo, blown machines are common )the circuitry is a small computer, and no, an apc doesnt supply enough power.
Part of the deal is monthly replacement of filters and same-day replacement of blown units. Quarterly replacement of masks and hoses.
I've gone through 3 units; mine are the expensive Bi-pap units @$3k a pop ($5200msrp). Do the math.

Last edited by OTB; 01-09-2010 at 04:08 AM..
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:07 AM   #12
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Is surgery an option?
For some; success ratio about %40 according to my doc, painful, and if you gain weight, you're right back to where you were....

I'm fortunate in that once I found the right mask, it works great and I don't ever notice it. Asleep for 7-8 hrs and wake up refreshed.

Had to go through about 10 different masks till I found one that was right for me.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #13
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000

Wow Trace, that kinda sucks (get it?...k, lame joke)...

Unless you gained a shit load of weight (don't think so) or smoke (nope), you must have developed like central/obstructive apnea since I saw you last. Granted, I might not have heard any snoring b/c I had ear plugs in I think. ( we shared a room once ...all innocent you pervs).

It's insane with the monthly rate and all, just make sure if you get a used machine all is working well. The thing with those devices, if they aren't working, your not breathing in your sleep with a mask on your face.

Besides all the insurance stuff, this is a positive step in that once you start using the Cpap, you'll find yourself much more rested and refreshed during the day. You won't be tired with all that CO2 circulating in your blood when you wake up.

Plus, now Carolina can indulge in those gas mask fetishes that all us girls (esp. military) have but never act on
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:52 AM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
I've been on Cpap for 5 yrs. Where we live, (semi-rural, brownouts and sporadic outages are common; ergo, blown machines are common )the circuitry is a small computer, and no, an apc doesnt supply enough power.
Part of the deal is monthly replacement of filters and same-day replacement of blown units. Quarterly replacement of masks and hoses.
I've gone through 3 units; mine are the expensive Bi-pap units @$3k a pop ($5200msrp). Do the math.

Ha! Score one for the Tigger! J/K.. Seriously, I figured it was something like that. These insurance companies can be stupid at times but I found it hard to believe that they would be such easy marks.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #15
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

My boss has had the surgery, he regrets it.

He can't eat certain foods now because it directly effects his nasal pasages. Spicy food burns the inside of his nose and he said it was extremely painful while it was healing.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #16
OTB
The Man

The first few times I used it; I felt like I was being smothered (mask over face) and that my lungs were going to explode (13psi pressure). I had some chafing and soreness till I found the right mask. I went from being a side/belly sleeper to sleeping on my back.

I used to wake up a million times a night; I would fall asleep in the middle of dinner or in the middle of a conversation. I fell alseep many times while driving the car and once ON THE BIKE.....in the middle of the afternoon.

My blood pressure was 210/120.....

My wife said I snored like I was going to shake the house apart and I would stop breathing for 30-40 seconds at a time. She would shake me to get me to start breathing.

Every joint hurt; I couldn't wake up in the morning; I felt like I was running a marathon all the time and I had constant headaches.

Now I sleep like a normy....

BP as of yesterday was 119/70.

I can go all day with nodding off.

My wife sleeps through the nite.......

I wake up in the morning and feel GREAT!

I pack the CPAP where ever I go; I have a large tank bag where it goes on overnight rides.

I put it on , push the button, and within 30 seconds I fall asleep.

Give it a chance and you'll never notice it, but it will change your life for the better.

I am just grateful I have something that can be treated so easily.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #17
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

OTB is spot on. I started using a CPAP machine in November.

The main reason the insurance companies rent the machine at the beginning is the purchase cost and the fact that not everyone who gets a machine will use it. While the memory card in the machine is great for diagnostics if you need a "tune up", it is also tells the insurance company if you are using the machine every night. If, like lots of other people, you can't live with the machine and stop using it, the memory card will tell the tale and the insurance company can recover some of the money they spent. If you use it regularly, they will eventually purchase it. Its actually a pretty smart approach by the insurance companies.

I've been using my CPAP for two months, and I can tell a significant improvement in my overall health. I am still having some issues with mask comfort. As I am finding out, mask choice is a trial and error process.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

my dad has one, has had it for a long time.

Z says i need 1 too, and she's prolly right. i snore, i just don't wake up.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #19
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

One of my employees has one. Same deal, ins pays monthly. His work has actually improved alot.

Best part of the entire deal? He got a new nickname ("Maverick"). And now he has a sign on his office that says Highway to the Danger Zone....
Old 01-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #20
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

A friend of mine had the surgery and he says it was the best thing hes ever done. He went from never being able to wake up and always being tired to waking up without an alarm clock at the correct time every day and he gets a full night sleep. He says that he can't eat spicy food because it burns his sinuses but not being tired more than makes up for that drawback.