Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #11
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
BTW lots of racers start off on 600s.... At least in this country they do... Other than the Red Bull rookies, is there a smaller professional racing class? I remember the old 250 2-stroke class but that wasn't for the faint heart either.
more top racers start on mini's, 50

hayden and edwards
then there are the euros, like all of them.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I think there are WAY too many words for a nOOb to read, comprehend and make be expected to make a logical decision about something that has nothing to do with logic.

It's your damn money, buy what you want. I'm REALLY tired of people telling what I should spend my money one. And, I have no expectation of the government telling me what I should spend my money on. Why the hell would I tell someone else where something falls on the list of "shit that will kill you?"

I don't know who is more naive, the guy that buys a supersport as a first bike to show off for chicks OR the guy that blathers on to the nOOb on the supersport how they won't die on a Ninja250.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I know 2 current teen racers that started on ninja 250s. The one, Harrison Ringle won national championships the last two years. He now has offers to move up to a sponsored 600 ride, but I dont think he wants to yet. I think he decided to race 650 twins this year...
Isn't that VERY regional lthough? I've never seen or even heard of a 250 cc class in this area. My point is that across the country it would be very difficult to find a "serious" class of professional racing. Most, if not all racers in the ama 600 supersport class are about 16 or less.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I think there are WAY too many words for a nOOb to read, comprehend and make be expected to make a logical decision about something that has nothing to do with logic.

It's your damn money, buy what you want. I'm REALLY tired of people telling what I should spend my money one. And, I have no expectation of the government telling me what I should spend my money on. Why the hell would I tell someone else where something falls on the list of "shit that will kill you?"

I don't know who is more naive, the guy that buys a supersport as a first bike to show off for chicks OR the guy that blathers on to the nOOb on the supersport how they won't die on a Ninja250.
Exactly my feelings.... I have honestly seen this several times, a kid gets brow beaten by other riders to buy a "starter" bike. Those same "buddies" go riding with him and Ofcourse leave him in the dust, forcing the kid to override the bike just to try and keep up. Off the top I can remember 2 ninja 250s and a Seca that have been wrecked this way. The amount of work that Tiffany had to put in just to keep up on her 250 was hilarious... :-) I will never agree that the crappy suspension/brake parts on a starter bike is a positive.....
Old 03-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Exactly my feelings.... I have honestly seen this several times, a kid gets brow beaten by other riders to buy a "starter" bike. Those same "buddies" go riding with him and Ofcourse leave him in the dust, forcing the kid to override the bike just to try and keep up. Off the top I can remember 2 ninja 250s and a Seca that have been wrecked this way. The amount of work that Tiffany had to put in just to keep up on her 250 was hilarious... :-) I will never agree that the crappy suspension/brake parts on a starter bike is a positive.....
Yup.

I mean, I appreciate a small bike for the giggle factor. And, I don't mind my daughter riding hers around town. But, fuuuuuuuu getting on the freeway in its stock form. I don't want them on something that I wouldn't want to ride myself.

No one appreciates being preached to. And, after being preached to and left behind they will only take it as someone trying to make them look dumb or slow.

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #16
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:

No but a 250 wont slam you head on into a tree at 160 mph, it will do it at 90.

And for what its worth, I have always tried to steer folks towards the older 650 twins, they are more than powerful enough to keep someone entertained for a few years, but are still forgiving enough that you can screw up a little and still maintain composure, while at teh same time not screwing up a 10k bike because you flung it off the side of a mountain
Old 03-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
No but a 250 wont slam you head on into a tree at 160 mph, it will do it at 90.
Either speed will kill you.

Either speed control will be difficult, maybe more difficult on a 250 with a stock suspension.

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 03-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #18
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

But the small displacement bike will allow you to get away with a sloppy throttle hand when learning. Especially in weather.

I dont necessarily think a 250 is a must. But a parallel twin 500 or 650 is way better learning tool than a 600 ss....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #19
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Either speed will kill you.

Either speed control will be difficult, maybe more difficult on a 250 with a stock suspension.
Truth! Not to mention the shit brakes... When Tiffany got her GSXR600 I made her ride it in "C" mode for the first month or so. It will never happen but maybe a way to take a I4 and make it run on 2 cylinders like a parallel twin at first?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
But the small displacement bike will allow you to get away with a sloppy throttle hand when learning. Especially in weather.

I dont necessarily think a 250 is a must. But a parallel twin 500 or 650 is way better learning tool than a 600 ss....
That is the one point I will always concede...although I've seen some crazy shit happen when a kid gets off a 250 and onto his first ss bike.... Whoa nelly!!