Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 10-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #101
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Nice job, Chris! You know what I envy most about you? Your ability to stop what you are doing to take pics!!! I'm serious! You and CEO... I've done some work to my bike, like replacing the rear shock for example and I wish that I had taken pics like you to show other people how it's done. Dammit, that's it! I'm changing my front tire this weekend and I'm going to take pics of the steps... Besides, I just got my Mojo Blocks which "supposedly" makes my $80 Harbor Freight kit as safe as a No-Mar rig!!! We'll see!
I was thinking the same thing!

Good job on all the pics, that has to add some additional time to the project.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:19 PM   #102
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Ok, the real question....

Whats in the blue box on the wall?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:56 PM   #103
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Nice job, Chris! You know what I envy most about you? Your ability to stop what you are doing to take pics!!! I'm serious! You and CEO... I've done some work to my bike, like replacing the rear shock for example and I wish that I had taken pics like you to show other people how it's done. Dammit, that's it! I'm changing my front tire this weekend and I'm going to take pics of the steps... Besides, I just got my Mojo Blocks which "supposedly" makes my $80 Harbor Freight kit as safe as a No-Mar rig!!! We'll see!
Ya know and if you remember this is NOTHING compared to my bike build. I did this for the "customer" and to share. I have been sending updates on the bike. There is no rush and I have a great budget that wont limit me. But I am trying to come in way under budget. Cause they gave me a budget that was way higher than expected.

As far as time. This is nothing. When I do a how to. I will spend a solid 2-3 hrs in just the how to. Not including the job itself.

Also, I use my old d.camera in the garage only. I don't need high res and I dont care about my grease paws all over it that way.

Tigger... you should do a how to for the job. This will help direct you in taking your pics. Get pics of tools in action with notes of what tools used for each step. I have done TONS of how to's. People really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Great pics! Obviously this bike had been seriously neglected.
Yeah, but not anymore... not while in my garage. But with all its neglect. It still runs very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Ok, the real question....

Whats in the blue box on the wall?

It holds stuff like axle grease, grease gun, mobil 1 syn grease, loctites, never sieze, light bulbs, a c-clamp, silicone, tire repair kit, gas detector liquid (snoop), and maybe a few other things... that's just off the top of my head.

Do you need a pic?

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #104
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Nice job man. I spy some Biker Bob's bags on that lift.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #105
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Yes sir you do. I love that dealership. They always treat me like gold.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 10-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #106
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Update from Friday:

Well I'm a bit disappointed in the HD service manual. It gives me next to nothing on trouble shooting these pieces of the speedo/gas problems.

I pulled the dash

Drained and Pulled the tank

Pulled the sending unit from the tank

And this is the only piece that they give any info on for checking the parts

The clip on the back of the swivel of the gauge sending unit was loose. I checked the range operation with ohms and it seems to be in the range specified in the book. The wiring don't look bad at first glance. Need to check for proper voltage on bike and check fuel gauge operation. But with what numbers? The manual gives me nothing.

Same goes for the speedo not working. Nothing for troubleshooting in the manual. Tells you how to remove it but that's it.

Saturday update:

Well I got it figured out. Spoke to the mechanic at the dealer. he gave me a couple a tips. I also found out that if you want electrical help you need to purchase a seperate electrical manual. They are published yearly so I bought one for my set of 2009s. But onward to this project.

First... on the gauge sending unit. He agreed the loose clip I tighted on the pivit pt may be causing some issue. But he said in 2002 or 2003 there was a service bulletin to trim the excess off the float arm. The 1/4" excess hangs up on either full or empty on the inside of the tank.

So I did trim it

Test it by moving the float by hand... Works. Re-installed with a new gasket (old one was dry rotting) and new replaceable sealing screws.

BAM... works with a full tank of 93 octane mixed up with some seafoam.

Second, the mechanic informed me that when cleaning a HD speedo sensor that you must never touch it with your hands, where clean rubber gloves, and clean with brake clean and soft cloth (like microfiber or diaper towel). So if it wasn't screwed up before (proven later it was) then cleaning it with a shop rag would damage it. (I dont get it that but will use caution when handling one in the future. He says its most likely the sensor cause I told him it was covered with shavings when I removed it. So I picked up a new one, which also is a improved (supersuicided version). (pointing at new one)

Got it wired in and yes officer I know how fast I was going.

So I buttoned up the project and calling this one a success. Got everything fixed, tuned, and polished up. All at 50% the budget I was given.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 10-25-2009, 01:01 AM   #107
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Great job Gas Man. I might need to hire you to help my Dad finish his bike... he is just running into problems finding the right stuff. It's a 67 Sportster.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:05 AM   #108
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Idk a great deal on those older bikes. That being said they are simpler to work on. But like each bike I work on, it's a learning expierence. The education that each bikes gives me, makes me want more of it. I guess its this obession or passion that makes me go back, even when the bike may fight me. I love the sense of ackomplishment when I'm done.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:21 AM   #109
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Idk a great deal on those older bikes. That being said they are simpler to work on. But like each bike I work on, it's a learning expierence. The education that each bikes gives me, makes me want more of it. I guess its this obession or passion that makes me go back, even when the bike may fight me. I love the sense of ackomplishment when I'm done.
We don't agree on much, Chris, but you are spot on here. It's why I enjoy mechanical things over people. A mechanical item can always be fixed with patience, know how, hard work, etc. Good job bro!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #110
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

We agree sometimes Tigger. At least as much as I do with most here.

You know you're all ok in my book. Thought we established this a while ago.

Run Amsoil Product