Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes
Default I'm Not Gonna Lay It Down

Have you ever stalled your bike at a green light? I do it at least twice a year. Once I was in front of three other riders. Just pull in the clutch and thumb the starter, and peal away smartly before the person behind you rolls over you.

Well I did it today on my second ride of the year. Nobody was behind me, and no traffic on the crossstreet. I signaled a right turn and made a complete stop at the red light. I checked for traffic, turned the handlebar to the right, let out the clutch, and the bike stalled.

I never stalled the bike before while making a turn from stop. If you've never done this, here's what happens: the bike falls over. The bike was a few inches from hitting the ground when I thought "I'm not gonna lay it down." With all my might, I stopped the bike. Pure adrenaline was running through my veins. I tried to lift the bike upright, but couldn't. I held the bike inches from the ground for at least thirty seconds. My right arm was starting to tremble, but I could not lift the bike.

Now this is a light where I can never trip it with the bike upright but now it changes green for me. A car on the cross traffic stops at the light and looks at me and probably wonders what the hell I'm doing. With my left hand, I lift up my visor and ask if he can help. The light turns green for him and he pulls over. He gets out and helps me lift the bike. Here's the clincher: I say "Thanks a lot." He says "No Worries" and runs back to his car.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Been there before. It's almost like it happens in slow motion and you do everything you can to save it. Awful nice of the other driver to call you by name.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I have the opposite problem, Once in a while I spin up the back tire, hasn't happend in a almost 2 years, but when I moved up from the ninja to the CBR the first few rides were kinda sketchy. I had ridden bigger bikes before that and never had that problem, but when it was my big boy bike, well yeh closed my sphincter up a few times.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Funny story. Glad it worked out.

We've all been there at some point or another.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:16 AM   #5
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Thanks for sharing
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I know the feeling. I did that with the Buell once....it got about 2 inches from the ground and I powered that sucker back up. Only difference was there were about 50 people standing there watching.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

I've certainly stalled in dumb places, but I haven't had much trouble keeping the bike up... light bike + strong leg muscles ftw.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

This kind of happened to me once though no one came around to help. Fortunately I was in a parking lot so I wasn't holding up traffic or risking being run over. I gently laid on the ground so I could get my leg out from under and then picked it back up. I was pissed. But it didn't do anything since I controlled how it went down. Good thing was I know I can pick up my bike and I didn't even use the "proper" way.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Did this on the cross country trip with Drewpy... Gas station somewhere in BFE shitville... same gas station where there was a 17 year old kid with a totally restored late 70's Camero... Will and I were jealous.

Anyway, I wasn't able to save it. It was like... "got it, GOT IT.... don't got it."
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #10
Digifox
Cl4p-Trap

Moto: Your mom.

HAHA Stalled ALOT when I had the tune all fucked up....And once i overheated a little and stalled (nearly 100F outside sitting in school traffic about about 45Min)

But never have I almost dropped it.