Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
If you wear a glow in the dark yellow vest that says security guard on it, then it is your duty to help those in need and if you don't you fail at life. Now if their policy is to not get involved, fine, then take those vests off and wear a jump suit with your name on it and call yourself a bus station attendant. As soon as you advertise to the public that you are there for security purposes, god damn it you better back that shit up. This specific situation is called a denial of responsibility and most of the people in this thread agree. If you cant protect people you have no business pretending that you can.
it's like mall "cops" though - you know they're lame. We know they're down there to point to the elevators and tell you where to find the bus schedule. I would NOT expect them to help me in any sort of emergency regardless of what their stupid vests says. so you would have been ok with the situation if they wore a vest that said "information man" instead? I still say that even if a bystander had jumped in, it would have gotten worse. I'm sorry one person got hurt. I'm relieved it wasn't more.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
it's like mall "cops" though - you know they're lame. We know they're down there to point to the elevators and tell you where to find the bus schedule. I would NOT expect them to help me in any sort of emergency regardless of what their stupid vests says. so you would have been ok with the situation if they wore a vest that said "information man" instead? I still say that even if a bystander had jumped in, it would have gotten worse. I'm sorry one person got hurt. I'm relieved it wasn't more.
Actually yes. But we go back to the policy of the security guard company though. It SHOULD have been their policy to help and maybe they should have at least armed those so called security guard with tasers and they should have tased that motherfucker until they bled from their eyes, ears and nose. As mentioned above though, now it's open season at the bus station.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Up here "mall cops" would step in, and some of our Campus Security have Asps/use of force training.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
it said she was on a bus going through the tunnel.
I thought she was standing against the wall? My bad, just refocus my rage on every single person who walked by or saw it and did nothing.

Quote:
It is horrible what happened - but not stepping in really WAS the best course of action.
Nope, sorry, that's complete bullshit. When you see a 15 year old girl getting her face smashed in, you stop it. This is not two drunk guys outside a bar stroking their egos with the use of force, its a kid, getting her face stomped in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
If you wear a glow in the dark yellow vest that says security guard on it, then it is your duty to help those in need and if you don't you fail at life. Now if their policy is to not get involved, fine, then take those vests off and wear a jump suit with your name on it and call yourself a bus station attendant. As soon as you advertise to the public that you are there for security purposes, god damn it you better back that shit up. This specific situation is called a denial of responsibility and most of the people in this thread agree. If you cant protect people you have no business pretending that you can.
Agreed, these guys aren't worth the air they suck up on a daily basis. Don't give me that bullshit about how these guys weren't trained to deal with violent confrontations either. It is their PERSONAL responsibility to educate and appropriately arm themselves be it with weapons or knowledge. When you submit an application for any kind of guard then you better know how to handle yourself, if not, then you're an idiot and waste of space.

This whole "someone else protect me" thing is seriously fucked up. Its a weak mentality that speaks to and results in a lot of serious societal problems. Every man and woman has a responsibility to themselves to step up to the plate in certain situations...and that means preparing yourself. Jesus, even if its just a women's kickboxing class....DO SOMETHING YOU PUSSIES!!!
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
This whole "someone else protect me" thing is seriously fucked up. Its a weak mentality that speaks to and results in a lot of serious societal problems. Every man and woman has a responsibility to themselves to step up to the plate in certain situations...and that means preparing yourself. Jesus, even if its just a women's kickboxing class....DO SOMETHING YOU PUSSIES!!!
Totally agree!

In trouble? - just call the cops!... and they'll be right over after a while to take pics of your body to do the paperwork.
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
I thought she was standing against the wall? My bad, just refocus my rage on every single person who walked by or saw it and did nothing.

Nope, sorry, that's complete bullshit. When you see a 15 year old girl getting her face smashed in, you stop it. This is not two drunk guys outside a bar stroking their egos with the use of force, its a kid, getting her face stomped in.

Agreed, these guys aren't worth the air they suck up on a daily basis. Don't give me that bullshit about how these guys weren't trained to deal with violent confrontations either. It is their PERSONAL responsibility to educate and appropriately arm themselves be it with weapons or knowledge. When you submit an application for any kind of guard then you better know how to handle yourself, if not, then you're an idiot and waste of space.

Until they get charged with assaulting a minor, and spend 3-5 behind bars.

We have transit cops here that have full police powers. If those guys interrupted the beating, not only are they taking a chance at getting stabbed or shot, they are risking going to jail for assaulting a minor.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
Until they get charged with assaulting a minor, and spend 3-5 behind bars.

We have transit cops here that have full police powers. If those guys interrupted the beating, not only are they taking a chance at getting stabbed or shot, they are risking going to jail for assaulting a minor.
That, weighed against standing by while someone was damned near kicked to death in front of them. Has sociopathy become the norm rather than the exception these days?

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

I don't understand the notion that taking action to prevent a girl who is already on the ground and getting kicked in the head repeatedly would somehow 'make things worse'.

A shoving match or 'fair fight', sure. But to just watch a potentially life-threatening situation like that going down with ZERO effort to stop the repeated kicking?

A job-description is no excuse for lack of humanity.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

[QUOTE=Kerry_129;335271]I don't understand the notion that taking action to prevent a girl who is already on the ground and getting kicked in the head repeatedly would somehow 'make things worse'.
[QUOTE]

If someone had stepped in, the violence would have escalated - possibly to the point that nobody knew who the bad guy was...like I said - I would HOPE that I would step in, but in reality, I probably would have moved farther away. Call me a pussy - yup. That's me. I'm not macho, even on the internet. Given that all of this happened in a split second - how do you know who the bad guy is? Unless you're trained. Passer-bys don't know what happened, they don't even have time to react. What if she stole the purse from them and now she's getting the shit kicked out of her - then you start beating on the 'victim' - well hell.
How about if we just all get vest that identify "bad guy" or "good guy" then we'll all be ready ... just in case.
it's easy to watch a short video and comment on 'what should have happened' For people who've been in this situation (or worse - how do we know there weren't 2 or 3 concealed weapons in this scenario) - you really do NOT know how you will react. You'd like to THINK you know - and you'd like to hope that you'll behave in a humane rational way - but the reality might be completely different.

Until you've been in that situation, you really do NOT know.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Quote:
Until you've been in that situation, you really do NOT know.
Absolutely agree.

Again - stepping into an ongoing fight, beating on the aggressor, simply trying to physically restrain them... I can see valid arguments against not doing these things.

But to not AT LEAST put your twice-as-large body between a 15 year kid lying on the ground and the out-of-control bitch continuing to kick their head in? ZERO excuse for not at least attempting to passively shield her. Not 'not my job', not 'might escalate the situation' - nothing other than being an apathetic human being, IMO.