Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 09-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
r!der
snowboarder

Moto: 05 GSXR 600
Default Track Day Groups

Curious as to how you advanced riders determined you were ready to make the move from the intermediate to the advanced group.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

I could be wrong on this, but I believe it's actually the control riders and/or track management that determine when you're ready to bump up.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
r!der
snowboarder

Moto: 05 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
I could be wrong on this, but I believe it's actually the control riders and/or track management that determine when you're ready to bump up.
Kinda like that but initially its the rider that makes the decision. But you're right, if you are in the wrong group and its obvious the control riders have the ultimate say and WILL bump riders down or up.

I guess I kinda know the answer but asked anyway. I just have to stop being a pussy and give it a try. I already rode with an instructor that wanted to follow me for a bit to determine whether I should bump up. I lost him for a bit (I gotta say, there was a bit of traffic and he was pretty new to the track) ,when he came back to the pits, he was surprised I had been riding in the intermediate group all day.

I guess my concern is the wide range of laptimes even in the advanced group and people treating it like "raceday". Then again, I think that gap is even bigger in the intermediate group.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I knew the first time I closed on a "intermediate rider" at twice his speed...J/K

I actually club raced before I started doing track days, just jumped right in with the sharks, and that made track day group selection real easy. You can always fall back a class once you find out where your running at that weekend.

I always go with intermediate class as I usually track day on street tires, no warmers, everything taped and wired up, but I will swap on my race plastics and get serious with tire choices and run race class or "expert" from time to time.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

STT you just have to ask and be approved to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Trackaddix you just tell 'em you run advanced when you register.
Usually not many people in that group.
At my track day, i figured it out by times, and I could run the whole session at the pace I was running and not get lapped by anyone, but they would be on my tail at then end of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Personally, I loathe the intermediate group. I would recommend you go for the Advanced group. It is more about control, and the ability to handle being passed than speed. There will always be someone faster - but those that are faster typically have the ability to pass safely and manage their own personal space on the track.

Entirely too much other bullshit goes on in the Intermediate group - it's a group filled with those too fast [in their own mind] to be called slow, and sandbaggers (those good enough for Advanced, but their ego can't take being passed).

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

One of the organizations out here mounts transponders to your bike without charging extra. SO we were getting our lap times after an hour of each session. So I decided to move up from level 2 to level 3 because I was putting down times faster than the slow level 3 guys while in level 2.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Entirely too much other bullshit goes on in the Intermediate group - it's a group filled with those too fast [in their own mind] to be called slow, and sandbaggers (those good enough for Advanced, but their ego can't take being passed).
Yeah That pretty much sums it up. I am not ready, controlled, or fast enough for advanced group yet, but am getting tired of the shit that goes on in intermediate. I want out, I need to get faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
For me, moving from beginner to intermediate wasn't about being called "slow," but rather the fact that I didn't want to ride in a small group of people and not be able to pass slower riders. That's the way STT did it when I did track days a few years ago. Only way you could pass in beginner was if the instructor deemed it ok to do so, and one whole group would pass another. I hated that and wanted to ride at my own pace so I moved up to intermediate. I definitely wasn't ready for advanced, but couldn't handle the way they did things in the beginner group.

All that being said, I'll go into the beginner class again after I buy a bike cause I haven't been on one in 3 years, but doubt I'll stay there long.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote