Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 09-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic
Cool 2011 Ford Fiesta SES <pic heavy/like always>

So with the wife's Lincoln MKZ lease ending this summer, in April we pre-ordered her a 2011 Fiesta. We watched it on Top Gear in 2008 when they did a review on the Euro version in 2008. We loved it then and thought... "once again the euro's get all the cool stuff."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zy78tFPQwQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYIyCmcuQno

Now granted there are some differences but still all very the same.

So we picked it up Monday. Wifey luvs it. I'm thinking... it's good. Thursday I drove it so that I could get the windows tinted. Grab a few pics before I shove off in the morning... sorry about the rain...

Now this is the hatch SES with 301 package (pre-tint) and the body kit & spoiler, which is great

Nice dry shot and even after some rain driving

I found a few very distinct first impressions...

The completely keyless system a breathe of fresh air. A lift of the restraints of keys that we have all become a custom to. The simple button push and pull works great. I push the start and the motor fires quietly to a purr. It is a very quiet motor that gives very little vibration.

It has things that you wouldn't see in this segment of cars. Ambient lighting... and lots of it. Plus it does like 10 colors!!
Cup holders <thumbnails enlarge if clicked>

dash

front floors are done with this little LED

rear floors

Interior shot, that didn't turn out so well.

She also has the metalic assc that gave her a different shift knob and these metal entry kick panels

The interior in general is great. The seats are comfortable, supportive and conforming. The radio/sync is somewhat straight forward regardless of the amount of buttons. The hardest part is getting use to the sync. I have yet to even tap into Ford's 3rd and best version out to date.

However, the shift is almost truck long in its throw. This is not a wrist action shifter by any means. I can only hope that the aftermarket companies will make a short throw shifter.

The sloped rear roofline does effect the long distance sight out the rear view mirror, but I think with a good final adjustment to the seat I can work around that. The side mirrors with built in convex mirrors and side blinkers are nice. Double safety in my honest opinion as a motorcycle rider. I have convex mirrors on every car/truck/suv I drive. That along with proper mirror adjustment will cut down on accidents.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product

Last edited by Gas Man; 09-18-2010 at 05:43 PM..
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

The rear reflectors need to be blacked out bad, they stick out like a sore thumb on the dark color, like 2 big red blobs. The front door windows are huge and give you a fish tank feel, but easily fixed with some window tint. The less bright color shows off the body lines better. Now coupled with some tinted windows (limo windshield strip, 20% rear/35% fronts) you can concentrate on those agressive body lines.

She's got a wide ass to boot

The lines are just so nice, edgy, and modern looking

After driving it for 2 days I'm impressed. It's no sports car or anything, but it had no problems whizzin down the eway the other night chasing my bud in his new 300, doing speeds over 100mph.

I couldn't help but to admire the car everytime I stopped during my work day.

Then when I got home I was again admiring the front LED accent lights. Something that you usually only see on high $30k ++ cars.

Gives it a great look at night. And I already have 2 HID kits on order as well.

Low beams

High beams

The suspension has achieved the impossible. It's tight, sensative, and gives great feedback from the road. With that recipe you would think it would be rough and that the bumps would push or knock you and the car around. Well, you would be wrong. I said they achieved something that most only dream of obtaining. It has a sport tightness that you wouldn't expect from a car of this class, yet it sucks up these crappy Michigan roads with ease. Ford has done it, hats off.

We're both really happy with it. The car's sticker was $19,245, add on the $1800 for the body kit & spoiler (parts, prep, paint, install), minus family discount and competitor cash ($1k), plus tax... $20k flat OTD.

I simply don't know of other cars that give you so much bang for your buck. Plus it has its competitors whipped in the looks department. It's edgy and gets lots of positive attention every where you take it. Even when I stopped by the Chevy dealer, the sales team nearby were on it in a flash checking it out. Ford raised the bar big time.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 09-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Real nice gas. It has a for cylinder correct??? I don't know if I could ever go back to a four after owning 2 six cylinders.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

That is one sweet ride. Where is the final assembly/

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

I don't get it, you have to pay the dealer to paint and install a Ford OEM body kit? Why doesn't it come like that from the factory?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Real nice gas. It has a for cylinder correct??? I don't know if I could ever go back to a four after owning 2 six cylinders.
Yes, a 1.6L I-4 making a whoppin 120hp. Not much compared to my HHR SS (275hp/375tq) or the TB SS that she was driving till this came in at 400/400. But it makes up for it in other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
That is one sweet ride. Where is the final assembly/
Unfortunately south of the border. I know I know. It sucks beyond sucking. I can only hope componants were made here. I should ask some of my Ford folks, cause the wife knows a few of the engineers that helped design the car. Wierd that when Top Gear episode was done they were made in Germany. IDK why the switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I don't get it, you have to pay the dealer to paint and install a Ford OEM body kit? Why doesn't it come like that from the factory?
Cause it's not a ford item. It's 3D Carbon somin... sold as an aftermarket ford assc that is dealer installed. This is a common practice with all kinds of things.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 09-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Nice write up, you make me want to do a better picture session and write up on my cars...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Yeh I was looking at the fiesta when I bought my wife a new car a few months back, I loved the car, the way it looked, and all the features it had too, but after my experience with my last two fords (both focus's that had major problems before they hit 100k) I just couldnt go back to ford. She wound up buying the honda fit, very similar to the fiesta, weaker engine, steelies instead of alloys, but some extra standard features inside.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Honestly I will say this... it doesn't matter which you get. Off the top of my head...

91 Pontiac 6000... had it till 295k so I replaced much but never opened the motor or trans.
00 F150... bought used from company, no real things ever done to it and had 230k on the clock when I got rid of it.
02 Saturn SC2... NO problems
04 F150... only a few little things like check engine light needing software update, rear end clutch packs replaced
04 Chevy Equinox... no problems
07 Lincoln MKZ... battery died 3 months after new, replaced. NO other problems.
07 Chevy TB SS... new rear end, xm antenna replaced, couple door seals replaced, window motors lubed... nothing major.
10 HHR SS.... saga continues
11 Fiesta... 275miles in...

Not bad...

But nice honda Derf... can't say anything bad about Hondas.... where are those built?

Run Amsoil Product
Old 09-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

I haven't been impressed with the Civic as of late. They look like they are using cheaper shit every year. Not sure of the fit. Accord seemed well built.

I recently leased a 2010 VW golf after the Malibu lease ended. I wanted the new Chevy Cruze, but I needed a car and couldn't wait 6 more months. The VW (the agreed price was 16k, similar to a fit) is built like a vault and drives like a nimble 560 SEL Mercedes. One of the best small cars I've ever driven.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 09-18-2010 at 11:46 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote