Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 09-19-2010, 12:31 AM   #11
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

Cause it's not a ford item. It's 3D Carbon somin... sold as an aftermarket ford assc that is dealer installed. This is a common practice with all kinds of things.
What is an assc?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:57 AM   #12
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:

But nice honda Derf... can't say anything bad about Hondas.... where are those built?
Major component assembly is done in japan, drivetrain, body, etc then shipped to california for final assembly. Yeh honda has treated me well, I had an old integra that lasted to 180k when it was finally stolen. I also had a toyota celica that finally started having trans problems after I started to offroad it, other than that it was great. Then I had a plymouth acclaim that had lots of small problems until I sold it at 85k, granted most of those problems were because it sat from 94-99 without being started, then in a little over a year I put 45k on it.

After that I bought 2 focus's (one was my wifes) which were great until they hit 100k and I went through the gambit of car repair. between the 2 cars:

3 Crappily designed thermostat housings
3 head gaskets
3 fuel pumps
3 axles
3 (see a trend here) water pumps
3 altenators
3 steering columns
3 brake master cylinders
3 (another 3!) manual shift linkage cables
1 (no more 3's) gas tank
6 gas caps
2 windshield wiper motors
1 tourque converter
1 manual shift inkage
1 engine mount
1 non working door (it was a back door but thats why we sold the car)
neither glove box would stay up
2 broken hand brake cables
neither one had a cig outlet that would work longer than a few hours without blowing a fuse
electric seat motor blew
front brakes would only last between 15 and 20k miles

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Luckily we had 2 of them and after my car was deemed not worth it to fix anymore (128k), I put it in the driveway and used it for salvage parts. My wifes car had 124k miles and the back door sropped opening, then failed inspection so we traded it in for the fit, and got $1600 (lucky we got that much) for it.

Nothing against the fiesta, I just hope you didnt have the same experience I've had with it. I've heard of some bad stuff with them already, sync system freezes, keyless entry stops working, cruise conrol issues, dual clutch auto tranny problems, CEL throwing a code for brake service, fuel pump control thingie thinking the airbags deployed, decel fuel shutoff sometimes takes too long to kick in resulting in a stalled car. Thats it, not sure how prevalent each of those problem is but thats the stuff I have heard of so far.

Go here for fiesta related questions, they can answer you most stuff

http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums/
Old 09-19-2010, 02:51 AM   #13
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
3 Crappily designed thermostat housings
3 head gaskets
3 fuel pumps
3 axles
3 (see a trend here) water pumps
3 altenators
3 steering columns
3 brake master cylinders
3 (another 3!) manual shift linkage cables
1 (no more 3's) gas tank
6 gas caps
2 windshield wiper motors
1 tourque converter
1 manual shift inkage
1 engine mount
1 non working door (it was a back door but thats why we sold the car)
neither glove box would stay up
2 broken hand brake cables
neither one had a cig outlet that would work longer than a few hours without blowing a fuse
electric seat motor blew
front brakes would only last between 15 and 20k miles
Wow, that's pretty hilarious. To think I almost bought a Focus SVT a few years ago.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:58 AM   #14
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
What is an assc?
short for accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Nothing against the fiesta, I just hope you didnt have the same experience I've had with it. I've heard of some bad stuff with them already, sync system freezes, keyless entry stops working, cruise conrol issues, dual clutch auto tranny problems, CEL throwing a code for brake service, fuel pump control thingie thinking the airbags deployed, decel fuel shutoff sometimes takes too long to kick in resulting in a stalled car. Thats it, not sure how prevalent each of those problem is but thats the stuff I have heard of so far.

Go here for fiesta related questions, they can answer you most stuff

http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums/
That is a heck of a list. I haven't heard anybody have those kinds of problems with a focus. You must have my strand of luck. You buy Friday afternoon assembled cars too?

To date, we don't have any of the issues listed above. Not even the ones that the online relm told us we would have without a doubt. Nope... not there. The problem with the Fiesta is that it's been a long running car in europe. So some of the info on the web is miss leading. Further, as I said, those built in germany these built in mexico... who knows what the differences are.

I have looked at that site, but it's so big. I just don't think I have that kind of time for ANOTHER big site.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #15
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I'm member #33 on thier sister site focaljet. The focus was great until about 40k miles, then little stuff started going wrong, I got lucky that I bought the extended warranty that was good til 60k but after that I got screwed. There were also a ton of recalls, and even after the recalls were done, the fixes weren't great fixes. That is the problem with buying a first model year production car, the bugs arn't quite worked out yet. And what is scary is that both cars had the same problems at around the same mileage, if you look at the issues section from focaljet, 2000 model year there are quite a few people who's cars were built between jul 99 and may 00 that had many of the same problems
Old 09-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #16
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Wow, that's pretty hilarious. To think I almost bought a Focus SVT a few years ago.
Your lucky you didn't man. Those things are terrible for reliability. I knew three people that bought them and they traded them off within 2 years because they were junk.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #17
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Real nice gas. It has a for cylinder correct??? I don't know if I could ever go back to a four after owning 2 six cylinders.
You could if it is turbo charged

Nice ride Gas Man. We just shipped one of these to Germany for testing. Did you get the one with PowerShift?
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #18
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

Nice car man. We may end up with one eventually. I always hated Ford but they've caught my eye lately. Enough so that I picked up a 2010 Fusion SEL on the first of May. Now my GF has her eye on the Fiesta to replace her 08 Accent.

It looks like a great car but I dont want to test drive one just yet. I want to keep the Accent for a while longer and test Drives just put bad ideas in my head.

Absolutely love my Fusion though.
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #19
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
short for accessories....
Accessories = Accs..not assc. Assc = Association.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #20
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Nice car, but I don't think I could stomach $20K on a sub-compact. Regardless of features and performance, that's a lot of money for not a lot of car. We paid $14K OTD for my wife's Yaris and only $16K for her leftover '09 Camry LE.
You paid 14k OTD for a base Yaris?

You gotta good deal on the Camry tho..

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote