Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 12-27-2010, 01:46 AM   #41
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

Well, maybe its time to give the power to the American scab workers. Whatever the job is, there is probably someone willing to do it for a lot less than the current person is, and it will make it much more feasible for a company to make a profit here.

It worked in Gung Ho

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #42
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
Well, maybe its time to give the power to the American scab workers. Whatever the job is, there is probably someone willing to do it for a lot less than the current person is, and it will make it much more feasible for a company to make a profit here.

It worked in Gung Ho
yeah but those are all the illegal mexicans
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #43
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Exactly. When does it stop?

Exactly as well. We can't just be a nation of consumers. How do we expect to survive when we don't make anything?

Of course it makes sense. They can capitalize on polaris moving their stuff to mexico.

The difference... HD does assembly in those countries to sell those assembled bikes in those countries to avoid those countries hefty import taxing. Good move by HD to increase sales in those countries and great move by those countries for securing jobs in their own country. We should take notes.

Don't blame nafta, don't blame the corperations... just blame the govt. A hefty import tax would level the playing field. Stock holders just want more profit, so just make it more profitable to keep jobs here!
The Central and South American Sportsters are being sold right here in the good ole US of A and count on the parts Made in India to make there way here to the US . Protectionism always Fails ask the USSR oh wait you can't. Countries that can't sell their products here won't sell our products there.
If we want American Companies to be competitive American worker has to be competitive. That means we lower his/her overhead. It is our age of entitlement that is killing us, The insanity that manual labor is worth 60k a year is a Huge part of the problem.
If Harley GM Ford or Chrysler wants to sell me a Product Produce something that preforms like I want it to, looks good, is priced reasonably and has a good service culture. NONE of them do. Their labor is over priced , administrative overhead bloated and with with damn few exceptions they all produce mediocre at best products. In the past 10 years we have owned Chrysler products GM products and ford Products, We have also owned Hyundai, Honda and Nissan Service in my experience GM Service was the worst Nissan second Chrysler third worst(it is telling that it is Chrysler best chance of survival is Fix It Again Tony FIAT) a close third and followed by Ford who I would rate fair (oddly enough they didn't need government money) Honda and the absolute best was Hyundai.
My experience with Polaris is with their Victory arm I like the product but like all American bikes I have ridden (HD Indian Victory and Borgett) When compared to their Japanese or European Counterparts they are crude and Unsophisticated and all are Overpriced by comparison. (it isn't the cost of labor my Goldwing is made right here in the good old USA and no American company gets Close to the sophistication or performance without spending 10k more) Worse NO American Company has made a sportbike that is competitive (when Buell got close HD killed them) Even the Korean bikes ar better in the sport market.
I saw hope a few years ago when Polaris had a chance to purchase a 33% of KTM but they blew it.
American companies want to be competitive get labor costs down (UAW is killing us) get Administrative Overhead Down. $1. a year salaries with Merit based bonus would help get something out of CEO's and managers.
Get the Government off the backs of Business and out of the pockets of the working guy.

Last edited by nhgunnut; 12-27-2010 at 09:01 AM..
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #44
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Whatever, and I guess that Polaris only makes snowmoblies...
Sure, but who cares about anything other than sleds and bikes

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #45
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Sportsters are made in Kansas. India plant isn't making anything, only assembly. I'm sorry but your information is wrong.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #46
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Sportsters are made in Kansas. India plant isn't making anything, only assembly. I'm sorry but your information is wrong.
Yes they are being made in Kansas but not all of them and the CA and SA are for sale right here in the good ole USA. India may not make anything yet you are right but no doubt they will.
Doesn't change the fact that the product is outsourced. Or that the Product simply isn't something I am willing to settle for (HD Victory or Indian)
BTW I am not slamming HD here they are simply doing as the market and business Demands
Old 12-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #47
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I just can't believe any brazil sportsters are running around the streets of the US. It would be suicide to HD to have that happen and who that bought a HD would want that over the Kansas built one? A company like HD that has crammed down our throats about buying their american bike can't go and give us something from out of the states. Many have accepted that some of the parts are made outside, mostly the electronics. But the overall % is USA.

And I don't have a problem with HD expanding globally. There is a demand for them there as the known "American Cult Bike" if you watch any global tv about HD. LOL.

Further it really should be known that it's the polaris side that is doing the move, currently all their Victory line up is still here in the states.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #48
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I only have two points;

1. If we want American companies to manufacture goods here, we have to be economically feasible. We can't expect them to stay here out of some misplaced sense of nationalism or loyalty. it has to make good business sense.

2. If we want American companies to flourish we are going to have to buy their products. Period. If we are all out buying Nissans and Toyotas how in the fuck do you expect GM and Ford to survive? Quite frankly, SM, if you really gave a damn about American companies/jobs you would have told your wife that she was going to have to "make due" with an American car. What's with the SRX?

You can't have it both ways...[/QUOTE]

1. Business sense is not cutting your own throat. Mexicans aint going to be the booming sales market for Polaris products. China isnt gonna be huge in the sales profitability side for GM. And look at the Camaro, assembled in Canada and almost a loss leader for GM. In the meantime fewer sales here because they are contributing to the recession andunemployment rate.

2. The Rogue is assembled here same as the SRX with more features and options for almost 20,000 less. The wife wanted the Caddy but without a better income source than me, who makes less than most union factory workers do, she has to get by with the Rogue...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #49
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I only have two points;

1. If we want American companies to manufacture goods here, we have to be economically feasible. We can't expect them to stay here out of some misplaced sense of nationalism or loyalty. it has to make good business sense.

2. If we want American companies to flourish we are going to have to buy their products. Period. If we are all out buying Nissans and Toyotas how in the fuck do you expect GM and Ford to survive? Quite frankly, SM, if you really gave a damn about American companies/jobs you would have told your wife that she was going to have to "make due" with an American car. What's with the SRX?

You can't have it both ways...
1. Business sense is not cutting your own throat. Mexicans aint going to be the booming sales market for Polaris products. China isnt gonna be huge in the sales profitability side for GM. And look at the Camaro, assembled in Canada and almost a loss leader for GM. In the meantime fewer sales here because they are contributing to the recession andunemployment rate.

2. The Rogue is assembled here same as the SRX with more features and options for almost 20,000 less. The wife wanted the Caddy but without a better income source than me, who makes less than most union factory workers do, she has to get by with the Rogue...[/QUOTE]

Hahaha! Good enough, that totally goes back to my original point about american companies making products that we'll actually buy as well. This is a problem with many sides to it for sure but to "force" companies to manufacture here even when it makes poor business sense isn't the answer imho.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #50
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I never really championed protectionism or isolationism. I am full against the government telling private business what to do.
I do wish the corporations were responible citizens. They should police themselves like hunters should when conserving game. You cant expect to be able to shoot every deer in a season or fish a lake stock out and hope to have anything to harvest next year. Same thing.
i agree with your statement above, and you can't address overhead to fix your corp. profitablility without looking to Sr managements compensation, poor product development, piss poor quality control.

its like cutting off a leg because its using to much blood flow. Cheaper foreign labor will help save you dough, but look at the whole effect to tax tables, infrastructure, ancillary services, ect. Maybe Polaris sees benefits in the short term but why are the struggling to start with? Why is GM? Why is every company outsourcing call centers to the middle east? I think we have alternatives that would benefit us all.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!

Last edited by smileyman; 12-27-2010 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: SP, clarity
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote