Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Who's to blame for the deaths?
The leader of the retreat 1 8.33%
The people themselves 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
L8 Braker
Swollen Member

Question The sweat lodge trial

Full story in link below...

Self-help author stands trial in sweat lodge deaths - CNN

Short story, back in 2009, a bunch of idiots searching for whatever choose willingly to go to a retreat...Part of the retreat involved sitting in extreme temperatures in this sweat lodge for a "re-birthing"...They would go to 8 rounds of sweating, lasting 10-15 minutes per session...

These people were not held against their will, and were never forced to stay...3 people ended up dying due to the heat, and the leader is now charged with manslaughter...

Again, these people were never forced to do anything, yet he's on trial...WTF??...Is personal accountability not even considered in America anymore??
L8 Braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
dubbs
Multistrada

Definitely not his fault if these people willingly joined..

Does it mention anywhere how high the temp was?
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
CasterTroy

I say the people themselves.

Shit's getting outta hand any more.

If you're in a drag race on the street and the OTHER person dies, YOU're now charged?!?!! WTF? You didn't MAKE them race, they raced on their own free will....they made a mistake on their own too.

Burglar breaks in thru a skylight and gets hurt on the knife block he fell on and I get sued? THAT bastard decided to break into MY house

Whatever happened to "Oh yeah, well if little Johnny jumped off a building would YOU do it?"

We're legislating common sense, and we should leave that to the Darwin awards.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
I say the people themselves.

Shit's getting outta hand any more.

If you're in a drag race on the street and the OTHER person dies, YOU're now charged?!?!! WTF? You didn't MAKE them race, they raced on their own free will....they made a mistake on their own too.

Burglar breaks in thru a skylight and gets hurt on the knife block he fell on and I get sued? THAT bastard decided to break into MY house

Whatever happened to "Oh yeah, well if little Johnny jumped off a building would YOU do it?"

We're legislating common sense, and we should leave that to the Darwin awards.

Absofvckinlutely !!!!!!
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

I love how they call it "self help" but in reality its some jerkoff telling you what to do.

Loser in self help isle: "This book made such a difference in my life"
Me: How are you any less of a spineless idiot now than you were prior to reading the book?
Loser: What are those on your feet? are the swimming shoes or something?
Me: No...they are vibram 5 fingers. they are awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

There really should be a third option that says it was everyones fault. The leader and participants, they should assumed the risks knowing the dangers, however they were heat stroke victims, and at the point when they should have left they were not in the best state of mind to make a rational decision. Knowing the risks the guy should have had some kind of trained medical personnel (nurses, emts etc...) on hand to prevent this stuff from happening, ensured that only people who were properly hydrated into the sweat lodge, and if people do pass out vomit, or get dizzy, or dissoriented, get them out instead of leaving them in there and just laying them down on the floor.

He should be charged with accidental manslaughter or whatever its called where you killed someone but didnt really mean to.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
L8 Braker
Swollen Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
There really should be a third option that says it was everyones fault. The leader and participants, they should assumed the risks knowing the dangers, however they were heat stroke victims, and at the point when they should have left they were not in the best state of mind to make a rational decision. Knowing the risks the guy should have had some kind of trained medical personnel (nurses, emts etc...) on hand to prevent this stuff from happening, ensured that only people who were properly hydrated into the sweat lodge, and if people do pass out vomit, or get dizzy, or dissoriented, get them out instead of leaving them in there and just laying them down on the floor.

He should be charged with accidental manslaughter or whatever its called where you killed someone but didnt really mean to.
Why stop with just this scenario?

Why not allow lawsuits against motorcycle manufacturers?...Or gun makers?...Or swimming pools?...Each comes with an inherent danger of almost immediate death, right?

How about blaming someone for allowing people to live in certain areas?...Florida has hurricanes, California has earthquakes, the Midwest has tornados...I hear those things are dangerous, and if the general population is too dumb to realize it, then it shouldn't be allowed...And if it is, then someone besides them should be held accountable...

People need to quit being stupid morons and take the blame when it's due...If you're an adult, and consciously take a risk where you know there could be an adverse or even deadly outcome, it's your fault...No one else's...

These people were told they would be exposed to extreme heat in the beginning...They chose to take the risk...No one held them by the hand or at gunpoint...They WILLINGLY walked in and then stayed...They are to blame...
L8 Braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

I saw a clip of the defense atty. He hit the nail on the head. After they played the tapes of the dude claiming he was god, etc, etc. The atty stood up and said, "We've heard a lot today, but we didn't hear him say, 'You better get in there'"

Personal responsibility is become so rare
Old 03-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

I gotta say the idiots going in there.
For fuck's sake, it's Arizona - between May and November half of the state is a sweat lodge anyway.

ETA - I don't listen to anything anybody who has three names says.
They are a mass murderer - they just haven't been caught yet.

Last edited by defector; 03-03-2011 at 02:08 PM..
defector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post

That is manslaughter. Killing without intent. Manslaughter is always accidental by definition.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote