Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 09-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R
Default The fun of owning a "different" bike

the headlight on my rc blew a bulb, that or i am low on headlight fluid either way, i took the clip off that held it on and now it is mia, i called honda and had them look at the microfiche and i looked online, the part does not exist... i have a h7 with an h4 prong, the computer shows a socket that the plus goes into, my bike does not have the said plug.

so i am out the clip that holds it in, cant find a plug that will work, looks like she will be a one eyed pig until i can get some help figuring it out...

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

That sucks. I went through that bullshit looking for a part for the petcock on the Zuk. The dealer microfiche showed a completely different looking petcock. I was out of luck.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

If it's like the ones on my CBR, it's springy steel wire bent in a very weird shape to hold the bulb base against the mount. Knowing Honda, they should all be the same. Look at some other Honda microfiche and see if you can find it.

By the way, my CBR used Honda's proprietary 45/45 watt H4 bulbs with the two lower tabs at a different angle than standard H4 bulbs. I got standard 55/60 watt H4 bulbs and snipped off the lower tabs. The top tab centers the bulb and the springy wire holds it in.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
the headlight on my rc blew a bulb, that or i am low on headlight fluid either way, i took the clip off that held it on and now it is mia, i called honda and had them look at the microfiche and i looked online, the part does not exist... i have a h7 with an h4 prong, the computer shows a socket that the plus goes into, my bike does not have the said plug.

so i am out the clip that holds it in, cant find a plug that will work, looks like she will be a one eyed pig until i can get some help figuring it out...
are you talking about that little wire like deal that hold the bulb in place? If so just get one from anything and make it work. The headlights for most,if not all of the bike makers are made by the same companies. An H7 clip,is an H7 clip. Heck,you could make one out of a paperclip if you wanted. You may also find something that will work in the "help" section of an auto parts store.

Is this it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00136.JPG (94.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00137.JPG (106.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00139.JPG (113.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00140.JPG (103.5 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 09-06-2008 at 07:40 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
If it's like the ones on my CBR, it's springy steel wire bent in a very weird shape to hold the bulb base against the mount. Knowing Honda, they should all be the same. Look at some other Honda microfiche and see if you can find it.

By the way, my CBR used Honda's proprietary 45/45 watt H4 bulbs with the two lower tabs at a different angle than standard H4 bulbs. I got standard 55/60 watt H4 bulbs and snipped off the lower tabs. The top tab centers the bulb and the springy wire holds it in.
Ha! I had to do that with aftermarket high wattage bulbs back in the day!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Sorta like riding a thousand miles on a bike that's running like shit and spending hundreds of dollars at multilple dealers only to never be able to find the problem... Wait... no it's not.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

And just as a side note. The pics in parts manuals won't always match the actual part on the bike. The part number could be correct but the pic in the book look totally different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #8
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
are you talking about that little wire like deal that hold the bulb in place? If so just get one from anything and make it work. The headlights for most,if not all of the bike makers are made by the same companies. An H7 clip,is an H7 clip. Heck,you could make one out of a paperclip if you wanted. You may also find something that will work in the "help" section of an auto parts store.

Is this it?
With two wires, I assume that the H7 is either high or low beam, but not both, like the three-wire H4. If it was mine, I would take the H7 wiring out and put in H4 wiring, to get both lamps on for low and high beam. Is the H7 bulb mount the same as the H4 (three tabs at noon, four, and eight o'clock)? Or is it made where that can't be done?
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:07 AM   #9
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
With two wires, I assume that the H7 is either high or low beam, but not both, like the three-wire H4. If it was mine, I would take the H7 wiring out and put in H4 wiring, to get both lamps on for low and high beam. Is the H7 bulb mount the same as the H4 (three tabs at noon, four, and eight o'clock)? Or is it made where that can't be done?
Yea,there's one tab and two "raised areas" at 4 and 8 o'clock respectively. Isn't the biggest problem the fact that H4s are dual filament and H7s are single? The plug I posted will go from a H4 plug to a H7 bulb. He could always buy a H7 plug and wire it in or retro fit a H4 bulb.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

bump still need to fix this...

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote