Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Sports Bar

Old 04-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Huh? You sure you don't have that backwards?

Machida and Silva are friends and team mates, anyway. They're very adamant about not fighting one another. If Rua takes the light heavyweight belt next month, however, we could definitely see Silva fighting for the championship. Shogun vs the Spider could be epic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
He's the undefeated Light Heavyweight Champion...whether you agreed with the decision against Rua or not.

The outcome of the fight against Shogun is debatable but he agreed to a rematch in May...right ? I can't wait to see that one !!

I'd be good with Silva fighting Rua or Machida or even dropping down to fight GSP.
Talking strictly performance, Machida doesn't deserve to be champion... I'd be the happiest motherfucker in the world if he redeemed himself in the rematch... I LOVE Machida, but his performance against Rua was quite unimpressive.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Talking strictly performance, Machida doesn't deserve to be champion... I'd be the happiest motherfucker in the world if he redeemed himself in the rematch... I LOVE Machida, but his performance against Rua was quite unimpressive.

Ok I went back and watched the entire fight yesterday after reading this post. I did NOT see it live which I hate to admit but I didn't. I was busy with other stuff and didn't want to pay the $$ to just record it on the DVR.

I agree that his performance was less than I would expect from him especially seeing how devastating he was in his previous two fights when he completely destroyed Thiago Silva and Rashad Evans to win the belt.

The fight really could have gone either way or even been scored a draw imho. Either fighter could have won by a point.

Problem is if you want to take the belt you have to flat out beat the champ and this one was close.

My personal scoring of this fight says Shogun should have won by 1 point but a couple of the rounds were almost too close to call.

The leg kicks by Rua to the body of Machida were awesome but he got tagged several times himself.

I'm looking forward to the rematch...big time.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I LOVE Machida, but his performance against Rua was quite unimpressive.
This. I am a big fan of the Silva/Machida camp, but their last two fights have sucked. I'd like to see a Machida/Rua fight of the likes of the Machida/Evans fight.

The clowning Silva does has gotten out of hand. I loved in in the Griffin fight, but this was a little much. If he disrespected you THAT much, knock him the fuck out in the first round and send his ass home.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #14
z06boy
Letzroll

Quote:
His performance was fine considering the man he was fighting. Mauricio Rua is one of the best 205-ers the sport has ever known, and I'd have bet money he would have walked through Evans and Thiago Silva just as easily. I thought their fight was a great display of technique and timing, and Machida's performance was due solely to his level of competition, not his aggression or skill. In my opinion, Shogun outpointed him, but Machida landed the harder shots.

I think Machida takes the rematch convincingly, however.

No disagreement here. I used to watch Pride before the UFC and am familiar with Rua.

Part of my opinion is based on the fact that most of the Pride guys just don't seem to do as well in the UFC as I was expecting. I honestly thought that Pride fighters were better than the UFC fighters. I thought Fedor would destroy pretty much anybody in the UFC but I'm not so sure about that now.

Hell I thought CroCop would dominate and he's pretty much 2nd rate these days. Even Rua had a lackluster showing in his first UFC fight against Forrest Griffin. He did beat an old Coleman and admittedly pounded Liddell.

That's why I said I thought Machida's performance was less than I expected...responding to OSP who obviously thought he totally sucked.

I honestly thought he would have been a little more active and more convincing that's all.

I totally agree about the technique and timing...not sure I agree that Machida landed the harder shots...the leg kicks to the body from Rua were the hardest imho.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #15
z06boy
Letzroll

Quote:
Lots of variables here. For starters, the UFC has more wrestlers versus the striking-heavy pool from Pride. Second, fighting in a ring is very different from fighting in a cage (the cage heavily favors wrestlers and clinch work, for example). Guys like Cro Cop used the ring to corner and trap people, something he can't do inside the Octagon. There are also differences in rules between the two organizations; for example, head stomps and soccer kicks were allowed in Pride, which favored the styles of guys like Wanderlei Silva.

Biggest deal is the cage/ring thing. Totally changes the dynamics of a fight. Lesnar or Carwin would have a good shot at beating Fedor in a cage, probably not so much in a ring.

Many former Pride fighters have done well within the UFC. Anderson Silva and Quinton Jackson are prime examples.
All good points and I agree and am aware of this. I didn't say I didn't understand the difference. I just thought Machida would have fared better against Rua and would have been more active so in MY opinion his performance was less than "I" expected it to be.

I thought he would have had an easier time just like you seem to think that he will in the rematch.

As far as the Pride v.s. UFC fighters I guess I should have said that I thought that the pride fighters "of late" would have fared better like Cro Cop...Rua in his first fight against Forrest Griffin and even Gomi.

Still pizzes me off that Fedor can't/won't fight in the UFC.

I am looking forward to Faber/Aldo. I "hope" Faber can hang but after watching Aldo handle Mike Brown it's not looking too promising.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #16
z06boy
Letzroll

Quote:
The cage stole Cro Cop's soul. Had he fought Gonzaga in Pride at that same time instead of the UFC, I believe the outcome would have been very different, and he would not be the anti-fighter he's become today. Gomi started looking like crap way before he came to the UFC to fight Florian.

I'd like to see him against the UFC's heavies, but it won't break my heart if he never makes it. He is probably on the tail end of his career and he has enough interesting fights in Strikeforce and Japan to legitimately wrap things up. If he beats Werdum, Barnett, Overeem, and maybe Antonio Silva and Bobby Lashley (depends on how their standing looks at the time), he will still finish his career with one of the best records in the history of the sport. I think Lesnar will lose in the UFC way before Fedor loses elsewhere, which will take the fire out of the match-up before it even transpires.
Been away for a few days...again good points. I actually hope Lesnar does lose. He's big and bad but I've just never been a fan of his.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #17
Switch
dadbod

I think Silva will come to 205 and fight Rua before you see Jackson/Rua 2