Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Dime Quarter > Elite Trackdays

Old 02-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #31
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Im curious, ya'll have mentioned the "evaluation" to decide which group someone should be in a few times. Is this something not done typically?

Every track day Ive ever been at, and Im honest with myself, and put myself in the group I belong in. I know others dont, BUT, the CR's always make sure to watch and move people as needed, basically evaluating them and moving tem for safety's sake. So its something I just accepted as always being there. Is it not?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #32
TrackRider54
Track Whore

Moto: 2006 Buell Ulysses, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2008 Kymco Agility 125

That's the way it should work. I typically do the same thing. 90% of the time I ride in intermediate, but I've done a few track days in the advanced group. Honestly, I like it better there, even though I'm one of the slower guys on the track.

I hold my line, do my thing, don't ride over my head, and I'm not bothered at all by someone going around me.
TrackRider54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #33
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Im curious, ya'll have mentioned the "evaluation" to decide which group someone should be in a few times. Is this something not done typically?

Every track day Ive ever been at, and Im honest with myself, and put myself in the group I belong in. I know others dont, BUT, the CR's always make sure to watch and move people as needed, basically evaluating them and moving tem for safety's sake. So its something I just accepted as always being there. Is it not?
I've been to quite a few events with other orgs that people just drop themselves into whatever group their friends are in. Or, one group is sold out - so they put people into another group.

I am VERY protective of my upper group. There have been plenty of people that have told me they should be there that didn't make the cut... for various reasons.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #34
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I've been to quite a few events with other orgs that people just drop themselves into whatever group their friends are in. Or, one group is sold out - so they put people into another group.

I am VERY protective of my upper group. There have been plenty of people that have told me they should be there that didn't make the cut... for various reasons.

Thats scary!

I've been to TD's where people were in the wrong group, like intermediates in novice, so they can pass people and not get passed, but they get moved pretty quickly, usually for being asshats.

Ive finally started making intermediate times and I think I'll still be doing a few more days in novice, I want to be a SOLID intermediate, so the rest of the crazies dont kill me.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #35
deals gap dragon slayer
Addicted to Track

Moto: 2007 Kawi ZX-10R

I agree on feeling safer and more secure in the advanced groups. The riders aren't unpredictable like some of the newbs can be (whether they realize it or not.. but hey at least they're there looking to learn)... However, make sure your bike is up to it...

My last track day of '08 was my first time really gettin on it with the zx10...

It was also the day I discovered the design flaw on the front brakes.
deals gap dragon slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #36
TrackRider54
Track Whore

Moto: 2006 Buell Ulysses, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2008 Kymco Agility 125

I've always believed that the group you ride in has far less to do with what lap times you run, but more a factor of your experience and ability to control the bike.

I've seen kids on 125cc two strokers running in advanced group, and I know they weren't able to turn the same lap times as an expert riding a literbike.

I think advanced groups should be just that....for advanced riders. Not just those who can turn a fast lap. I've seen a LOT of fast guys that I don't want anywhere near me on a track, and I've seen some guys who I KNOW are excellent riders turn several seconds a lap slower than I do. Doesn't mean they aren't good riders, just means they are working on a specific part of their riding, or they are learning the track.

I just received confirmation that I'll be waving flags at Tally on the 28th. I've never ridden with Elite, so I'm looking forward to getting to know the guys and eventually doing a day with them.

It will be REALLY hard to wave flags while I see all the bikes going around. If any of you guys are down there, I hope I don't get to meet you. LOL! Don't run over the flag waving Sasquatch!

Last edited by TrackRider54; 02-10-2009 at 05:41 PM..
TrackRider54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #37
Bradlee_t
Diuqs

Moto: ZX10-aarrrrrrrgghh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deals gap dragon slayer View Post

My last track day of '08 was my first time really gettin on it with the zx10...

It was also the day I discovered the design flaw on the front brakes.
The brakes are crap. I can't believe how bad mine were until I upgraded.
Bradlee_t is offline   Reply With Quote