Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #21
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Maybe but I firmly believe that alarms tend to make thieves think twice about bothering your bike. Besides, most bike alarms page the owner and I'm sure that thieves are allergic to getting shot!
high velocity lead poisoning ftw

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:59 PM   #22
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
i wish you could rig the alarm to about 10 lbs of c4. He wont be putting his grubby dickbeaters on your shit again
How about rigging your alarm to a HID ballast and running wire around the grips? Down side is they'd drop your bike...

Also, most alarms come with ignition kill...in fact my buddy's bike won't start at all without the remote being close. I'm not saying that an alarm is a foolproof method to protect your bike but I'm just really surprised that they don't mention it.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #23
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
How about rigging your alarm to a HID ballast and running wire around the grips? Down side is they'd drop your bike...

Also, most alarms come with ignition kill...in fact my buddy's bike won't start at all without the remote being close. I'm not saying that an alarm is a foolproof method to protect your bike but I'm just really surprised that they don't mention it.
thats a pretty sweet idea but only works if they ride it. id even throw in mercury switches as anti tip sensors
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #24
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Maybe but I firmly believe that alarms tend to make thieves think twice about bothering your bike. Besides, most bike alarms page the owner and I'm sure that thieves are allergic to getting shot!
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
high velocity lead poisoning ftw
DING DING FTW

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #25
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
The other down side, is that you'd get sued/arrested for installing a booby trap. Way not legal, (unfortunate, but not without reason).

Quote:
If, as the article states, the more sophisticated thieves are using a "plug & play" pig-tail to bypass the ignition, that alarm system maybe useless (depends on how it's wired).

I run a simple solution, that can be adapted in several different ways. On my Duc, I've wired a hidden toggle switch into the fuel pump wiring. You can hook up all the pig-tails you want, but if you can't find that switch, you ain't riding my bike anywhere. You can also wire sidestand and clutch switches to do the same thing.

None of those things will keep a determined asshat from tossing your bike into the back of a van, but they will give you a chance to shoot them.

JC
Old 07-31-2009, 01:32 AM   #26
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
The other down side, is that you'd get sued/arrested for installing a booby trap. Way not legal, (unfortunate, but not without reason).

If, as the article states, the more sophisticated thieves are using a "plug & play" pig-tail to bypass the ignition, that alarm system maybe useless (depends on how it's wired).

I run a simple solution, that can be adapted in several different ways. On my Duc, I've wired a hidden toggle switch into the fuel pump wiring. You can hook up all the pig-tails you want, but if you can't find that switch, you ain't riding my bike anywhere. You can also wire sidestand and clutch switches to do the same thing.

None of those things will keep a determined asshat from tossing your bike into the back of a van, but they will give you a chance to shoot them.

JC
That's not a bad idea! My alarm wires to the battery directly, to the ignition and it has a back up battery as well. Of course the ZoomBak wires to the battery and has about a 3 or 4 day internal battery. Like I said, I don't think it's foolproof by any means but I also run a 1/2'' cable lock to the swing arm and I installed a second LED just to be sure that they understand that my bike has an alarm on it. To be honest, I have full coverage and about $3,000 into my bike at this point so I really should let them steal it!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote