Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 05-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #21
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
try running some jet fuel through it. I was having kinda the same thing going on with my blast. A friend suggested getting the super high octane jet fuel to clean out the system. After running that through, the blast was back to normal.
Jet A? Is nothing but parrafinized Kerosene. Jet B (JP4) is naptha-kerosene. Unless you want swelled seals I would stay away from that little trick.....

Last edited by OTB; 05-21-2008 at 08:25 PM..
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #22
jalaan1
orangina Zed

Moto: '12 Z1000

yeah, i would be hesitant to try something like that.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #23
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalaan1 View Post
yeah, i would be hesitant to try something like that.
try rocket fuel. liquid hydrogen baby. or better yet, try to create nuclear fusion and harness the power of the atom inside your bike.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #24
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

When ever a bike starts normally, but then dies when the bike is moved, I suspect an ignition problem. And Kawi's are known for their safety switches that shut off the ignition. If a bike sat for a long time with the kickstand down, I would suspect the kickstand safety switch. Could also be the neutral switch, the emergency switch, clutch switch, ignition switch, or any of the connectors between said switches.

If it was my bike, when it died, I would pull a plug wire and connect it to an old spark plug laying on the engine. If it didn't fire immediately when cranked, it's an ignition problem.

Even better, I have an old timing light. Connected over any spark plug wire, it will tell you if that wire is getting spark. Plus, no one ever checks the ignition timing anymore, assuming that electronic ignition is infallible. I've had two of the spark units (ignition advance) fail on my CBR. The ignition stays at TDC, and the bike accelerates slowly, and everybody thinks the problem is the carbs. Nobody knew what the problem was until I checked the ignition timing.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:34 PM   #25
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
When ever a bike starts normally, but then dies when the bike is moved, I suspect an ignition problem. And Kawi's are known for their safety switches that shut off the ignition. If a bike sat for a long time with the kickstand down, I would suspect the kickstand safety switch. Could also be the neutral switch, the emergency switch, clutch switch, ignition switch, or any of the connectors between said switches.

If it was my bike, when it died, I would pull a plug wire and connect it to an old spark plug laying on the engine. If it didn't fire immediately when cranked, it's an ignition problem.

Even better, I have an old timing light. Connected over any spark plug wire, it will tell you if that wire is getting spark. Plus, no one ever checks the ignition timing anymore, assuming that electronic ignition is infallible. I've had two of the spark units (ignition advance) fail on my CBR. The ignition stays at TDC, and the bike accelerates slowly, and everybody thinks the problem is the carbs. Nobody knew what the problem was until I checked the ignition timing.
That's what I was thinking too. He mentioned a crash and that's what made me suspect the emergency switch. I'm no master mechanic but one thing I do know. Always start with the simple shit and checking the switches is VERY,VERY easy. The emer. switch kills the fuel pump if I'm not mistaken which would cause the engine to work for awhile and then quit. Ah I don't know. He said it ran ok until he moved it which sounds like electrical shorts/probs.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:35 PM   #26
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

first off... jet fuel is a distillate. Closest thing to what normal people think is Kerosene. DO NOT PUT THAT IN YOUR BIKE!!!!!!

Second, while I think dumping the old gas for fresh fresh stuff and running seafoam and new plugs is a good idea. I'm leaning more towards electrical. I would check/test all the safety switches first then go towards the ignition system.

This is where I tell you... buy a service manual as well. It will tell you how to do all the above.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:42 AM   #27
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I'll say again...check that negative battery cable.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #28
jalaan1
orangina Zed

Moto: '12 Z1000

thanks guys.
( other than the jet fuel ) will do all above.

yeah, Gman i'm in the proccess of trying to get a service manual.

guess i got my work cut out for me.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:58 AM   #29
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalaan1 View Post
thanks guys.
( other than the jet fuel ) will do all above.

yeah, Gman i'm in the proccess of trying to get a service manual.

guess i got my work cut out for me.

I don't know how many block lists I've made but if you get this...
https://www.kawasakiepc.com/SystemSe...TOKEN=47863294

Hopefully this comes up as a parts breakdown for you bike,I've haven't found the service manual for free YET!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #30
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I'll say again...check that negative battery cable.
Would you please check BOTH of the battery cables just to calm Marko down!!!!????!!!!!

Honestly its not a bad thing to check anyway... just don't tell Marko that!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote