Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 04-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic
Unhappy BDM has closed aka out of biz

Exclusive. Big Dog Motorcycles Closing at Cyril Huze Blog ? Custom Motorcycle News
Quote:

Another very sad day in the motorcycle industry. Last week I was informed that Big Dog Motorcycles laid off or furloughed a few more workers and that the company would probably close its doors in the next few days. This morning, Big Dog Motorcycles started to call its remaining dealers to inform them that they are done…Big Dog main lender would have already taken over the company. Practically it means that all Big Dog warranties have stopped. Big Dog Motorcycles, LLC, started production in 1994 and it is estimated that since then it has built over 25,000 motorcycles, becoming at one time the world’s largest manufacturer of custom motorcycles. The company surfed the booming years of the motorcycle industry by providing an entire line of chopper motorcycles using S&S engines, 6-speed transmissions, stretched one-piece steel tank, super fat tires, chrome components, steel fenders, and an extensive variety of custom paint colors and graphics. All models were designed and manufactured at the company’s headquarters in Wichita, Kansas.

Since 2006, like many companies in the motorcycle industry, Big Dog Motorcycles was struggling to adapt to new economic realities. President Sheldon Coleman tried different approaches, shrinking the number of employees by laying off employees or ordering furloughs, trying without success to sell out his business or to find a financial partner, launching a more reasonable priced bare-bone chopper, adapting by proposing a new bagger model, courting the Canadian and European markets, even recently trying to sell rolling chassis on eBay. It was not enough or too late. The disappearance of Big Dog Motorcycles after many of his competitors is the symbol of the end of an era that many call “The Chopper Craze”. Big Dog Motorcycles now belong to its bank. So, what’s next? Sheldon Coleman is probably going to try to achieve a new business plan that others in the same situation have tried before him. Launching a new company (for ex. Big Dog Parts) providing to actual owners of Big Dog motorcycles the parts they need to maintain their bikes on the road. For this, Coleman would have first to get from his company ‘s main lender the stock of parts that he has used as collateral for loans. Coleman owns the building across from the current headquarter, ready to be used as a base for such a new business. Manufacturing of new parts would follow, which is good news for all Big Dog riders who want to continue to enjoy their bikes. A core of Big Dog motorcycles remaining employees will probably be re-hired in the new business (to follow…)
A sad day....

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Between the economy and I think the custom cruiser/chopper thing has more or less run its course. Sucks for the workers though.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Exactly. And some of the workers were in the dark. The receptionist was denying it on the phone to customers stating "well I'm here so we aren't". Talk about disrespect to your employees.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

It was a fad, it will come back again, but it isn't a realistic business in a hard economy. A motorcycle that isn't comfortable to ride and all you can do is look at when you go to the bar is a bad decision in tight times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
It was a fad, it will come back again, but it isn't a realistic business in a hard economy. A motorcycle that isn't comfortable to ride and all you can do is look at when you go to the bar is a bad decision in tight times.
agreed, considerin the economy has been "down" for a few years now I am surprised it took this long.

Its like seeing the occ episodes, who in htese times wants to pay upwards of 100k for thier POS bikes. Seems like now theyre probably getting by on the tv show and not bike/merch sales.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

I live in Wichita....they jumped the shark a LONG time ago.

Everyone I know who has one HATES it.....their transmissions are SHIT. I know one guy who had his bike in for transmission work three times in one riding season. We were on a poker run....wwwwwaaaaayyyyyy out in BFE...and the transmission was locked in 2nd gear. To say he was PISSED would be a monumental understatement.

He FILLED the "downtown" area of that little town with profanity....mad, mad MAD.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Correct on your first part.

Second part...Oh you've rode one? Hmm... they aren't that uncomfortable. Nothing like they look like. HONEST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
I live in Wichita....they jumped the shark a LONG time ago.

Everyone I know who has one HATES it.....their transmissions are SHIT. I know one guy who had his bike in for transmission work three times in one riding season. We were on a poker run....wwwwwaaaaayyyyyy out in BFE...and the transmission was locked in 2nd gear. To say he was PISSED would be a monumental understatement.

He FILLED the "downtown" area of that little town with profanity....mad, mad MAD.
Well the problem they had with transmissions is they told Baker how to make their proprietary trans for them. They did the same thing to S&S on the motors and at one point actually mounted TP rocker boxes on the S&S motors because "bdm knew better".

The transmissions built to BDM spec had major problems with input shafts breaking.

The motors with TP rockers boxes were eating valve guides due to bad geometry from the mix/match parts.

Then they had problems with their electronics. A bolt shaker bike shouldn't have a computer on it. PERIOD.

Beyond that you could replace key parts and get a good bike. They are leaps better than any of the American Iron Horse bikes I've seen and worked on. They also went belly up.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 04-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Oh you've rode one? Hmm... they aren't that uncomfortable. Nothing like they look like. HONEST!
I was talking about choppers in general. You know it was not a good ride for long distances. It was a pretty pretty princess bike. More looks than function. The fad you guys are on has definitely taken a turn to a more comfortable long distance ride. Even you have followed this trend. Just like I followed the DS trend that went on in my area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 04-04-2011 at 08:16 PM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Exactly. And some of the workers were in the dark. The receptionist was denying it on the phone to customers stating "well I'm here so we aren't". Talk about disrespect to your employees.
There are some business decisions that aren't about employees. Closing the doors is sometimes one of them. It isn't done to be disrespectful to them - I'm quite sure the owners hearts are broken more by their dreams being shut down.

Bummer that another small company bit the dust.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

A fad that is passed, that's all.