Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
shmike
Follower

Default Negotiating: You're doing it wrong

Troy’s truck thread made me think of this.

How skilled are you at negotiating?

I posted on a local board that I’d be willing to sell my spare set of tire warmers for $200 (a fair price). A young guy PM’s me saying he wants them.

The following conversation takes place…

Quote:
Him: ill take that extra set of warmers off your hands . ive been looking for a set for PBIR this weekend. any chance your selling a front stand too?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me: Not selling a stand but you can borrow one of mine for the weekend.

Swing by and pick them up before Sunday. I'm not sure if I can make it this weekend, so I don't want you to be counting on me to bring them.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Him: will they fit a 190? any burn marks or tears? can i have your number so i can come pick them up. thanks a lot shmike. hopefully you get a hall pass for sunday
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me: Yes they'll fit a 190, that's what I use them on.

There are two small burn marks but no tears. It is the set I've been using since June, they work fine.

You should have my number: xxx-xxx-xxxx
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Him: new phone since i picked up the doggy door. ill come by tomorrow and pick them up if thats ok with you. if i could borrow a front stand for PBIR that would be awesome!!!! will you take $180 for the warmers?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me: No but I'll take $220 plus $15 to rent the stand.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Him: what happened to $200 in the thread . how about $220 for the warmers and to rent the stand for the day
Old 02-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
tommymac
Moto GP Star

I suck at negotiating, but I had a kid do a similar thing trying to buy my track bike. Apparently hes a strugglin gcollege student and funds are tight. Was asking 2k for the bike he first lowballs me at 1500 and asks if theres anything I can take off to lower the price. I tell him its 1800 and it sounds like we have a deal.

Calls me a few days later begging to sell it for 1500, I told him if moneys such an issue and 300 dollars will absolutley kill you, should you be out doing track days. Dont think he liked that one
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I suck at negotiating, but I had a kid do a similar thing trying to buy my track bike. Apparently hes a strugglin gcollege student and funds are tight. Was asking 2k for the bike he first lowballs me at 1500 and asks if theres anything I can take off to lower the price. I tell him its 1800 and it sounds like we have a deal.

Calls me a few days later begging to sell it for 1500, I told him if moneys such an issue and 300 dollars will absolutley kill you, should you be out doing track days. Dont think he liked that one
While he didnt like it, Its the truth, Thing is...people cant handle the truth
Old 02-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

My dad is the barganier of the family.

Dealing with salesmen all day for work, and having to buy chillers, boilers and air handling equipment sometimes worth hundreds of thousands of dollars a shot and 5 different vendors you can buy from give you a pretty good skill to get what we want down to the bottom dollar.

He has no problems walking out of a place if he doesn't get what he wants. I don't quite have the skill yet, but being in the business, I'm slowly working on it.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I think your response was right on target. There is a bit of an art to negotiate. I mean, if you don't ask - you have no chance to get. But, how to do it without insulting is the TRUE skill.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I mean, if you don't ask - you have no chance to get. But, how to do it without insulting is the TRUE skill.

BINGO

If you don't ask.....is key

Use too...when I'd list something on Craigslist I listed it for what I needed to have....then I'd get 100 calls wanting it for 20% less than what I listed it for.

Use to piss me off...now, I just play the game List it 20% high so people feel like they WON something when they talk you down 20%

If I'm going to buy I ask "is that your bottom dollar?" If they don't budge and it's a deal....I'll still buy it. But if it's not...I'll thank them and walk away. 9 times out of 10 if they were bluffing they'll stop me, and tell me to make an offer.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
Leon
WERA Yellow Plate

I insult right off the bat, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I did pick up a '07 zx6r that needed a little work for $1200 using my method.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
BINGO

If you don't ask.....is key

Use too...when I'd list something on Craigslist I listed it for what I needed to have....then I'd get 100 calls wanting it for 20% less than what I listed it for.

Use to piss me off...now, I just play the game List it 20% high so people feel like they WON something when they talk you down 20%

If I'm going to buy I ask "is that your bottom dollar?" If they don't budge and it's a deal....I'll still buy it. But if it's not...I'll thank them and walk away. 9 times out of 10 if they were bluffing they'll stop me, and tell me to make an offer.

I usually do the same.

When it comes to certain forums (this one and my local one) I offer up a fair price to start to rule out the need for negotiating. If you like the price great, if not that's fine too, someone else will.

I just got a kick out of the fact that this young keyboard hero negotiated himself into paying $20 more than I asked.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I insult right off the bat, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I did pick up a '07 zx6r that needed a little work for $1200 using my method.
yep. I've gotten a lot of stuff for half what they asked orig.
everything is a game and usually fun to me. i keep an old vehicle around to drive to the sellers house, crap clothes etc. (depending on what I'm looking at of course)
my best line is "it's not that it's not worth it but man, all I have today is $$$" you'd be amazed how many people think they are doing a good deed and will sell it to you.
i never ever buy from friends.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
yep. I've gotten a lot of stuff for half what they asked orig.
everything is a game and usually fun to me. i keep an old vehicle around to drive to the sellers house, crap clothes etc. (depending on what I'm looking at of course)
my best line is "it's not that it's not worth it but man, all I have today is $$$" you'd be amazed how many people think they are doing a good deed and will sell it to you.
i never ever buy from friends.
Now you're using props. Awsome.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote