Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #21
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I took the Lab off puppy food at around a year.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #22
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
she gets a 1/2 can of soft food at night that is adult variety but the hard food is puppy iams. she likes it and she's well muscled and healthy so why mess.
My hubby had our Lab on Iams for most of his life. My cousin got into researching dog food/raw diets when her mix became ill (ended up having leukemia). Harris, our large lab seemed to be fine on Iams, but according to some dog food analysis websites, it gets a very poor rating for quality.

A lot of people here feed their dogs some pretty high quality, natural dog food, and I must say, it really made a difference in Harris. He's lost 8 pounds since last year. He's 101 pounds, leaner frame (wasn't overweight at 108, he's very tall), his coat just shines, poo is better, teeth are better, his hips improved with the added natural glucosamine in his current dog food (Fromm's Salmon and Veg).

Last summer, this time, he developed his first ever hot spot. Food allergies can have a lot to do with that. So we changed his diet and the benefits were better than expected. He was "fine" on Iam's. His blood work was stellar. But the better, cleaner nutrient content of his current food has made him a healthier middle aged dog.

Anyway... not telling you what you should do, but look into other foods if you are interested. This dog food is 85 bucks a bag where the Iam's was like 45 for the same size. But I can't put him back on anything close to that after seeing the results.

If I had the freezer space, he'd be on a raw diet.

Anyway...

google dog food analysis if you are bored

Kirsty
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #23
zer0t
Kneedragger

Moto: 2003 FLSTCI 2008 KTM RC8

Keep up on the puppy food it's rich but good for them. My boxer didn't really look adult until almost 3. She kept that gangly puppy look for quite a long time before looking like an adult dog. It's my first boxer and she is awesome.
zer0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:18 AM   #24
torilynne
Burrito Goddess

Moto: 88 Hawk 650

both my dogs we actually started switching them back and forth every other day for about a month cuz when we tried switching them straight to adut food a little after a year and a half neither of them would eat it so by going back and forth for a little while they got used to the adult food

I will not spill the drinks-not even a drop, I will not drop the pizza, I will give them the money at the bridge--I am proud to be....a professional bitch rider. (RETIRED)
torilynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #25
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by torilynne View Post
both my dogs we actually started switching them back and forth every other day for about a month cuz when we tried switching them straight to adut food a little after a year and a half neither of them would eat it so by going back and forth for a little while they got used to the adult food
My dog doesn't like his puppy food. He will let the food sit in his bowl for an hour before he eats. He eventually eats, but he is way different than my lab. She would practically inhale the entire bowl the second you put food down.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #26
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

If he doesnt like it, I'd try and swap him now. Typically pups should be on puppy food for the first year, and then change to adult with maybe some puppy mixed in. If he's getting fat or just not enjoying it, you shouldnt run into any issues swapping him early.

Check with your vet, doesnt require a visit, just a call.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #27
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If he doesnt like it, I'd try and swap him now. Typically pups should be on puppy food for the first year, and then change to adult with maybe some puppy mixed in. If he's getting fat or just not enjoying it, you shouldnt run into any issues swapping him early.

Check with your vet, doesnt require a visit, just a call.
He's not getting fat at all. I took some pics of him on my new cell phone. I need to figure out how to get the pics off my phone since I don't have a memory card for it yet.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #28
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
He's not getting fat at all. I took some pics of him on my new cell phone. I need to figure out how to get the pics off my phone since I don't have a memory card for it yet.

Some dogs, even as puppies, tend to get fat when on puppy food. Thats a good sign of needing to change them.

Depending on your service, you should be able to email pics to yourself. Instead of the number, put the email you want it sent to. Wait, YOU got a cell phone?!! No way...
Old 07-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #29
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
My dog doesn't like his puppy food. He will let the food sit in his bowl for an hour before he eats. He eventually eats, but he is way different than my lab. She would practically inhale the entire bowl the second you put food down.
Thats how Manny is. As soon as the bowl hits the floor he smashes it down. Food gone in about a minute.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #30
the chi
Forum Coach

I think thats a lab thing. Everyone I have ever owned ate like that, whereas other dogs were less inclined to eat like an "animal". My current dog will only eat if we are near her food bowl or if she's able to eat while we are out all day. My collie would pick and choose throughout the day and eventually eat a cup or 2.