Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 03-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
Rider
Moto GP Star

Icon is better than no gear obviously, but hey it's your money.....
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
As far as I know, HJC makes Icon's lids.
I think you might be right. The only difference is that Icon designs their own lids,JR uses existing HJC designs and puts their stickers/vents on them.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Icon is better than no gear obviously, but hey it's your money.....
I will never understand the Icon hate around here. Icon passes all of the same DOT,Snell, and/or ECU specifications that any other company does... The Motorcyclist helmet test helped me realize that when they proclaimed that a $75 AFX helmet was the safest helmet made. I used to ALWAYS buy Arai,I thought I was paying for extra head protection. Now I'd rather be able to buy two or three Scorpion,Icon,HJC,Akuma,Sparx,etc helmts instead of one Arai. Just my opinion of course.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #14
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I will never understand the Icon hate around here. Icon passes all of the same DOT,Snell, and/or ECU specifications that any other company does... The Motorcyclist helmet test helped me realize that when they proclaimed that a $75 AFX helmet was the safest helmet made. I used to ALWAYS buy Arai,I thought I was paying for extra head protection. Now I'd rather be able to buy two or three Scorpion,Icon,HJC,Akuma,Sparx,etc helmts instead of one Arai. Just my opinion of course.
I am by no means a gear snob, I just don't like Icon gear.. The Akuma helmets are sweet and I'd rock one, but you will never catch me in Icon gear. Oh and it doesn't help that their #1 spokesperson is a complete tool bag(Jason Britton). For me its the designs that Icon comes out with, Not my style at all. Even if they were rated the best in protection I still wouldn't own their gear...
Old 03-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #15
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I am by no means a gear snob, I just don't like Icon gear.. The Akuma helmets are sweet and I'd rock one, but you will never catch me in Icon gear. Oh and it doesn't help that their #1 spokesperson is a complete tool bag(Jason Britton). For me its the designs that Icon comes out with, Not my style at all. Even if they were rated the best in protection I still wouldn't own their gear...
Fair enough. Hey wait a minute,what do you have against Jason? I've met him a few times before he was "famous" and he was a really nice guy. He even went out with a few of us and helped us with our technique,etc. I saw him in Daytona last year but he was busy and I didn't get a chance to talk to him. Oh no what has he done....
Old 03-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #16
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Fair enough. Hey wait a minute,what do you have against Jason? I've met him a few times before he was "famous" and he was a really nice guy. He even went out with a few of us and helped us with our technique,etc. I saw him in Daytona last year but he was busy and I didn't get a chance to talk to him. Oh no what has he done....
FWIW a couple of my friends met him in philly when he was filming an ep of superbikes and said hes cool as shit
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #17
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I think he gives legit SB riders a bad name. If somebody who doesn't ride bikes watches 1 episode of Superbikes, they are going to assume ALL SB rider are just as squidly. We don't need more negative attention that what we already have.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #18
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
FWIW a couple of my friends met him in philly when he was filming an ep of superbikes and said hes cool as shit
Yea,he's always been super nice to me and my friends. I have an anolog pic of him doing a slow speed stand up wheelie on my 'Busa. I don't doubt that it's possible that he's done something to piss people off. He definitely loves to clown!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #19
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I think he gives legit SB riders a bad name. If somebody who doesn't ride bikes watches 1 episode of Superbikes, they are going to assume ALL SB rider are just as squidly. We don't need more negative attention that what we already have.
Oh no! Not the "your actions give every member of my perceived group a bad name" thing again! Didn't we just do this with Maygin? Oh well,you certainly are allowed your viewpoint my friend. I'm not sure anyone would watch a show about a bunch of middle aged white guys,in full race leathers and gear,riding sportbikes around at 5 miles below the posted speed limit,tho'...
Old 03-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #20
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Oh no! Not the "your actions give every member of my perceived group a bad name" thing again! Didn't we just do this with Maygin? Oh well,you certainly are allowed your viewpoint my friend. I'm not sure anyone would watch a show about a bunch of middle aged white guys,in full race leathers and gear,riding sportbikes around at 5 miles below the posted speed limit,tho'...
You're right, a show about the kind of riding I do would be very boring to the masses. Oh and BTW, I rarely ride UNDER the speed limit. Even my wife, who knows nothing about sportbikes or the community for that matter thinks he's a dido. The large part of that show talks about stunting, bike nights and 180 clubs and shit... A handful of guys riding through the twisties at 20-30mph over the speed limit would be boring as hell I'm sure. Thats why they don't make a show about that.