Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 09-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #41
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

I had a space program once, you know.

3 hits of LSD and a bong. I talked to the moon for an hour at least. Apparently its pretty boring up there, and the view gets kinda stale after while. And he's not made of cheese, at all!
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #42
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
By that logic we will never send anyone again anyway since it has already been 40 years since we last sent someone.

Taking the long view is looking at what going to the moon now is going to accomplish toward forwarding the next logical step, going to mars. I don't see how going to the moon now advances that at all. Add in the additional estimate of $3 billion per year it will require, multiply it by whatever number you want because estimates for space programs are always horrendously wrong, and I don't see the value.
At this point I really don't think that America will ever set foot on the moon again because NASA is given chump change, and their budget is likely to only go down from here, as it has in the past. Like always, people are saying that the money is better spent "at home." It doesn't matter if the economy is good or bad; they parrot the same words.

So few people see the value, but space has always paid off in the past. Unless you're Grizzly Adams, you don't go a single day without being touched by the technologies that have come out of the space programme.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #43
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
At this point I really don't think that America will ever set foot on the moon again because NASA is given chump change, and their budget is likely to only go down from here, as it has in the past. Like always, people are saying that the money is better spent "at home." It doesn't matter if the economy is good or bad; they parrot the same words.

So few people see the value, but space has always paid off in the past. Unless you're Grizzly Adams, you don't go a single day without being touched by the technologies that have come out of the space programme.
I don't see $17 billion as chump change. While the budget dropped after Apollo we still spend more today on NASA than we did when the shuttles were being built even after inflation is factored in.

I think we would be more likely to be working toward going deeper in to space if we hadn't had to pay for portions of the international space station that were supposed to be the responsibility of other nations. About the only things that have ended up being international about it are the stickers going on the sides of the modules, the astronauts being sent, and where parts are being built. As far as the money side is concerned it has primarily been an American project. We could have paid for a moon program with the money spent on the international space station.

I think you are right that America, on its own, will never go to the moon again. There is no reason to go to the moon unless it is to advance going deeper in to space. I doubt any country will be able to afford deep space missions on their own. I believe the next step will be required to be undertaken by an international coalition due to the expense and complexity demanded. Currently I don't see any other nations stepping up to take part. Even if they were, America is understandably a little hesitant after getting stuck with most of the check for the international space station.

I see the value from new space exploration. I don't see the value of going down the same road we traveled 40 years ago just to see if it can still be done, a foregone conclusion in my mind.

Space does "pay off" in a global community, humanitarian kind of way. If it payed off in a checks in the national treasury kind of way more nations would attempt it on the scale America has.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #44
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Watch China.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #45
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Watch China.
I have. They are a long way off. So far they have accomplished what America did with Apollo 8, except they sent an unmanned satellite. I want to see them achieve their next step of landing an unmanned rover on the surface, like we have already done on mars, before I will give them much further attention.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #46
goof2
AMA Supersport

I also wanted to add that I have no problem with China getting involved in space exploration. If they want to spend the hundreds of billions of dollars it will take to redo something America did 40 years ago they can have at it. I hope they succeed and remain committed to space. If China does they would be a natural partner in further space exploration. I am sadly confident that is wishful thinking though.