RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory
Default ins. dropped, facebook pics, Canada

http://www.click2houston.com/video/21696790/index.html

http://wbztv.com/health/Nathalie.Bla...2.1327309.html

Nov 22, 2009 10:00 am US/Eastern

Insurer Halts Woman's Benefits Over Facebook Photo

Canadian Company Manulife Denies Using Web Sites As Sole Basis For Deciding ClaimsBROMONT, Quebec (CBS) ―

A Canadian woman says she was told her insurer that her claim was dropped because of photos investigators found on her Facebook account. (File)

A Canadian woman on long-term sick leave for depression says she lost her benefits because her insurance agent found photos of her on Facebook in which she appeared to be having fun.

Nathalie Blanchard has been on leave from her job at IBM in Bromont, Quebec, for the last year.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. reported Saturday she was diagnosed with major depression and was receiving monthly sick-leave benefits from insurance giant Manulife.

But the payments dried up this fall and when Blanchard called Manulife, she says she was told she was available to work because of Facebook.

She said her insurance agent described several pictures Blanchard posted on Facebook, including ones showing her having a good time at a Chippendales bar show, at her birthday party and on a sun holiday.

Blanchard said Manulife told her it's evidence she is no longer depressed. She's fighting to get her benefits reinstated and says her lawyer is exploring what the next step should be.

Blanchard told the CBC that on her doctor's advice, she tried to have fun, including nights out at her local bar with friends and short getaways to sun destinations, as a way to forget her problems.

Manulife wouldn't comment on Blanchard's case, but did say they would not deny or terminate a claim solely based on information published on Web sites such as Facebook. The company did confirm using the social networking site when investigating clients, according to the CBC.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.

Last edited by RACER X; 11-23-2009 at 08:28 AM..
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Wait, you can get one year off of work for being depressed? Where do I sign up!?

I wouldn't go so far as to sue her right off the bat, those pics could in fact be older and she just posted them, but I would definitely be investigating if I were the company.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Seems like a good excuse to drop my facebook account. Been too much spying by employers..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

So I guess people with depression are forbidden from leaving their house, or being caught with a forced smile on their face
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
So I guess people with depression are forbidden from leaving their house, or being caught with a forced smile on their face
No, but getting paid to sit on your fat ass is a pretty good reason you can't go off on vacations. You are SICK. If I call in for sick leave and work finds out I am going to the Virgin Islands, I am sure they wouldn't find that an appropriate use of sick leave.

Fuck this bitch, I hope she loses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I read the story and not really sure where i stand on it yet. She claims she went away on her doctor's recommendation. So maybe she was just trying to break herself out of it and followed the doctor's orders. Sticky situation.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
No, but getting paid to sit on your fat ass is a pretty good reason you can't go off on vacations. You are SICK. If I call in for sick leave and work finds out I am going to the Virgin Islands, I am sure they wouldn't find that an appropriate use of sick leave.

Agreed. Sure, she might have still been feelin mopey, and trying to forget her problems, but doesn't sound like it was debilitating depression, so I agree with their assessment that she could go back to work.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:

Being physically sick might make you unable to go out, but being depressed doesn't.

You're saying that because she goes to someone's party, that she is suddenly able to do her job?

Also, we aren't talking about government benefits, we're talking about a private insurance company who has DECIDED to cover depression. And given that they have DECIDED to cover that, they should honor it.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Being physically sick might make you unable to go out, but being depressed doesn't.

You're saying that because she goes to someone's party, that she is suddenly able to do her job?

Also, we aren't talking about government benefits, we're talking about a private insurance company who has DECIDED to cover depression. And given that they have DECIDED to cover that, they should honor it.
Yes, if you can go out and have a good time at a party or go on vacation, you can do your job. If you have a depression that doesn't allow you to leave your home maybe I would consider it a valid issue.

This private company also decided she is capable to return to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Are you sure it's private insurance? It is Canada.

Yes, if you can go out and have a good time at a party or go on vacation, you can do your job. If you have a depression that doesn't allow you to leave your home maybe I would consider it a valid issue.

A few things...

who said she was having a good time?

It's private insurance. It's not covered in healthcare. There is a difference.

Last edited by CrazyKell; 11-23-2009 at 09:59 AM..
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote