Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 07-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Hell, if you can build the Baehr box, can you build me a couple for less than the $1000 per box they go for?
I'd have to look into their design some, because they have some amp process in the box it seems to be able to configure the sound for each device, but it seems no more than an interface point. Ebbs bought two FRS radios and I was going to try and mod those. My problem is finding a good cheap headset that will give us the clarity we need at speed. Help me find that and I can work on the box. The box really shouldn't be a big issue. It wouldn't look "pro" but it should have the same functionality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #12
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I am still getting by with hand signs...What about those Nolan Blue tooth helmets? Do they only work as blue tooth for your cell phone?

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

BTW I've used several different communication systems. The only decent conversation I ever had while riding was with my and buddy's phones wired into a Chatterbox intercom systems. But the part that was the key to that success was the NOJ Quiet Rider. In my experience, this is where most of the noise comes from in a helmet and the best lids have the best neck guards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg noj.jpg (4.3 KB, 51 views)
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
collett seems to be nice, but looks to be chatterbox ish. Everything on adv rider points to Scala Q2s as the best for clarity, but they just hender the attachment access. I may try to mod one of those fuckers to let me use FRS.
I tried Collet about 12 years ago. Sent it back. It was better than Chatterbox but still not that great.

Here's what you do, get a blue tooth helmet headset from Blue Ant. Have everyone you ride with be on the same carrier or in each other's circle or whatever. You call each other three way... problem solved. The BA headset will accommodate two or three different devices. Best part is that you can buy these things at Best Buy or other stores, so if you don't like it...zoom back to the store it goes! There are adapters that can make any device blue tooth.

http://www.myblueant.com/interphone_helmet_kit.htm

Dude you think that you want to talk to a bunch of people while you ride, well trust me you don't! There will be 1 or 2 people max that you may want to shoot the shit with or whatever. Beyond that... nah!

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 07-14-2009 at 04:43 PM..
Old 07-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #15
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I'd have to look into their design some, because they have some amp process in the box it seems to be able to configure the sound for each device, but it seems no more than an interface point. Ebbs bought two FRS radios and I was going to try and mod those. My problem is finding a good cheap headset that will give us the clarity we need at speed. Help me find that and I can work on the box. The box really shouldn't be a big issue. It wouldn't look "pro" but it should have the same functionality.
Here buddy, I've been using this one for 3 years and 3 or 4 helmets. Works good and costs $35.

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=5577
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hdcl.jpg (9.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 07-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #16
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Dude you think that you want to talk to a bunch of people while you ride, well trust me you don't! There will be 1 or 2 people max that you may want to shoot the shit with or whatever. Beyond that... nah!
2 people would be perfect. Mostly I am going to be using it for me and Andrea, so the scala would work. However, I am wanting a complete audio system for a long trip to record a bunch of stuff. Where I can feed the audio output to a camera. I may just rig a jack to a scala to do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #17
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
2 people would be perfect. Mostly I am going to be using it for me and Andrea, so the scala would work. However, I am wanting a complete audio system for a long trip to record a bunch of stuff. Where I can feed the audio output to a camera. I may just rig a jack to a scala to do this.
Well, eyeball the Blue Ant at least. You'll be linked together, you to your phone, her to her phone and either of you to another rider/passenger. Plus you can link to your gps w/a blue tooth adapter, of course. Like I said, you can stroll into Best Buy and pick one up.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #18
JoshuaTree
DILLIGAF?

Location: Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, Sol, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way
Moto: 1993 K75SA

Autocom has been my choice. Best cable / adapter / setup selection by far. Dealers everywhere support it, or at least know of it enough to help you when you're on the road.

I have an ancient Pro-7 that I've used in two bikes. The "trick" to them is putting an extension cable between the unit and the helmet tail cord. That's the lenght that takes the most abuse).

J&M is also not bad, but not anywhere near as flexible.

http://www.autocom.co.uk/
http://www.jmcorp.com/
http://www.midlandradio.com/CB-Radio.WYQ/75-822

If you want to try and bluetooth integrate phone and iPod, take a look at:

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/m...s/parrotsk4000
(I haven't used one, nor have I known anyone to - but it looks interesting)

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/b...parrot-mki9200
(eventually I'm going to try and integrate one of these onto my bike/intercom setup)

As always, YMMV...
JoshuaTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #19
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
That's the reason I posted the StarCom. It's set-up to do camera audio functions...
Old 07-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #20
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Probably a bit pricier that you want to think about but My wife and I use the JM Integrator with the Midland CBs I also use it to integrate my GPS and Ipod and has the ability to link the cell phone. It is a bi bulky but particulary when I my slip over the speed limit the truckers still use CBs to give "traffic" reports and I find this very useful on the busa. I guess if it were legal you also integrate a police and fire scanner.