Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300
Default I love getting lost but perhaps consider we all should consider planned routes?

I love to jump on my bike with no particular destination, see a new road and decide to take it to see where it leads, BUT lately I've been reading about so many bikers while out riding alone crashing and not being found until days later has me thinking that if I am going alone then perhaps I should have a planned route and let my wife and/or others know along with an expected return time. That way if too much time passes and no one has heard from me, they at least know which route/direction to begin any searches.

I don't push as hard when alone but still things happen. There are some nasty places along the side of the mountain roads where only hunters may find you and passing cars can not see you.

I've heard about other things such as gps on your cell phone, some sort of technology that pinpoints your location(can't recall the name though) What other technology or safeguards do you all know of?

I hate reading stories about fallen riders who could have possibly lived with sooner intervention.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Sorry just realized I messed up the title, should read I love getting lost but perhaps we all should consider planned routes
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

The GPS system you are probably thinking about is called SPOT. I am thinking about getting one.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

I have a friend with one that really likes it and have ready stories online of it helping, saving people on ADV rider. It still has its flaws (have to been in direct line with sky) but its better than nothing.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I've got the GPS on my phone so my hubby can see where I am at, in a non creepy sort of way, primarily so if I am out riding by myself and turn up missing, he has a good idea where I was. If I am out of phone signal range however I dont think it will work...

Planned routes are a great idea for solo riders. Until I moved, I never worried about being solo, but I feel ya. Now, if I do go riding it will be alone and its not a bad thought to make sure someone can find me.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
was92v
Nowhere Man

When I am going to take a long ride by myself, I usually leave a note with the route I intend to take, at home in case I don't come back. I always deviate from it somewhat, but at least there is an idea of the area I'm in anyway.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Not really completely bike related, but goes along with the theme here - when I run I leave a note or text or something for Erik letting him know that I left, which route I took and how many miles I'm running (he can approx time from that). I also have a RoadID on me that velcros to my shoes lace with my name/address/phone/contact/blood type.

The only time I ride alone is when I go to work and Erik knows I go the main roads. I always send him a quick text or email when I get there so he knows. He can be a worry wart.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
t-homo
WSB Champion

My brother does a lot of solo hiking and has some sort of thing that you press the button and it lets people know where you are and you're hurt. Its sold with camping stuff.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
I've got the GPS on my phone so my hubby can see where I am at, in a non creepy sort of way, primarily so if I am out riding by myself and turn up missing, he has a good idea where I was. If I am out of phone signal range however I dont think it will work...

Planned routes are a great idea for solo riders. Until I moved, I never worried about being solo, but I feel ya. Now, if I do go riding it will be alone and its not a bad thought to make sure someone can find me.
Yeah your phone is screwed outside of signal range.

Spot will work anywhere as long as you can see sky. Especially if you have off road routes planned. That's probably why I am going to pick it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post

I have GPS on my phone too, but it doesn't share my location with anyone else. What program do you use to broadcast your location to your husband's phone? Is there a subscription fee?
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:00 AM   #10
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
I have GPS on my phone too, but it doesn't share my location with anyone else. What program do you use to broadcast your location to your husband's phone? Is there a subscription fee?
Its called the AT&T family map. I think it only works with phones on your plan or those you give permission to, but Im not certain of the specifics, he plays with it, I rarely do.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote