Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 06-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #101
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
Yea it definitely could have been a lot worse

Pretty much. He started on with the stuff about not knowing if used electrical parts like that would last or if theyd just crap out after a week too.
Dang I should have guessed coil! j/k Sorry to hear that but at least it'll be fixed and hopefully they took a look at everything else.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #102
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

I had a couple people guess it could be the coils but it was on the list with a timing issue as something I didnt want to mess with.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #103
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Coils... hmm... I think that was one of our first guesses....

Did you get the bike back yet?

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #104
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Coils... hmm... I think that was one of our first guesses....

Did you get the bike back yet?
No the dealer doesnt stock any electrical parts so they had to order them. They said hopefully this weekend or early next week at the latest.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #105
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
Cause it's the dealership, their process of repair, usually is replace all components in a system that could be causing said problem, vs only replacing the one known problem once found.
No.... it's because they are a dealer and want to charge you out the ass for their service.

JoJo - check the bike over completely before you leave. Not once has Erik had a bike worked on at the dealer without something being screwed up on it.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #106
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
No.... it's because they are a dealer and want to charge you out the ass for their service.

JoJo - check the bike over completely before you leave. Not once has Erik had a bike worked on at the dealer without something being screwed up on it.
I plan on it. If Im paying that much Ill be making sure everything is perfect. I actually dont even have my side fairings on the thing right now since I knew the dealer would be taking them off to work on it, one less thing that can get screwed up.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #107
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Hmmm, Coils going bad in 6k miles

Well, you'll know for sure once the they get your bike running again.

BTW, where did you take it?
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #108
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
UPDATE: Just heard from the dealer this morning, and now I get to spend a bunch of money. Turns out the little spark my buddy said he say wasnt nearly enough to fire the bike. They said one of the four coils is toast and of course theyre only sold as a package deal for all 4 for my bike. Parts are over 200, then over 150 for them diagnosing it and installing the new parts. Yay...
So you have one of those new fangled bikes where each spark plug has it's own coil? One of my two coils went bad and my four-cylinder was still able to start and run on two cylinders. Crappy, but it ran. I just don't see how your bike couldn't start and run on three cylinders.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:09 PM   #109
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
So you have one of those new fangled bikes where each spark plug has it's own coil? One of my two coils went bad and my four-cylinder was still able to start and run on two cylinders. Crappy, but it ran. I just don't see how your bike couldn't start and run on three cylinders.
Yeah, my hubby was wondering the same. He thought it should run on 3 coils, but hell anything is possible I guess. We will find out soon enough if this fixed the problem.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #110
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
One thing I know about "service techs", if they tested the first plug and got a weak spark and determined it was the coil... trust me, no other plugs were tested after that. I'm still mildly worried that it's something before the coil, I just don't know what to call it... unless, when one coil goes bad, it throws the whole system out of wack.... I'm with the guy that thinks this is unusual for a bike with 6000 miles on it as well. I can honestly say that I have never replaced a coil on a bike and my last GSXR had 42k on it when I traded it in. Plus the sudden loss also bothers me... again I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote