Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

Moto: FJR1300
Default Plasma TV question

Bought 50" plasma today (Samsung) and when I use the setup I've seen around the internet for it (see quotations), it looks like hell compared to when I first turned it on. Much darker and not as vibrant/sharp. Samsung claims their TVs require no break-in so, I'm tempted to restore everything to default. Opinions?

"I got these setting off of a user forum online when I first purchased the TV. They seem to work great. Movie Mode. (Standard is too dim and Dynamic is useless) Cell Light = 8-10 depending on content Contrast = 75 Brightness = 50 Sharpness = 0 Color = 42 Tint G42/R58 Advanced Black Tone = Off (didn't notice a diff with it on so I left it off) Dynamic Contrast = Off Gamma 0 Fleshtone plus 1 Edge Enhancement = Off Color Temp = Warm 1 (Warm 2 has always been too green to my eyes) DNF = Off Screen Burn Protection = 4/4/1 for gaming and TV 2/2/2 for movies White: 20 25 15 25 05 25"
Akilldema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

on the "" smiley placement

Nice ninja edit btw
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Could be that the room is too bright or too dark for those settings. I find with my plasma that picture quality varies at different times of the day, depending on if the sun shines in through the windows. Between 2-4 in the afternoon the screen gets too dark, still watchable but not great, but after 4 when the sun goes down over the houses behind my house it gets much better.

Just gotta play with the settings till you find whats right for your house and the lighting in your house.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

My main concern is damaging the display somehow by having the brightness, contrast or sharpness too high. Not sure if I should be concerned or not.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

Also - My xbox still lets me put output at 1080p and it displays the res on my tv and works fine. Why is this?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akilldema View Post
My main concern is damaging the display somehow by having the brightness, contrast or sharpness too high. Not sure if I should be concerned or not.
You shouldnt be able to setthe TV to self destruct unless there is already something wrong with it or it was underengineered.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

Don't go by some other person's settings. Not that they're wrong, but all TVs are different. I get by just fine with standard, dynamic and movie modes as far as TV and movies go. For gaming and the computer I had to find my own settings.

The best way to go about it is to find a calibration test. My computer has a simple test.. maybe yours does too. Or you can load something onto the Xbox. I just saved the settings in custom, and it always comes up like that for the HDMI port.

For your Xbox question.. I don't quite understand. You should just set it to output as whatever your native TV resolution is.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

I was just surprised that I could see anything with 1080p turned on on my 360, as the tv is 720p.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:04 AM   #9
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

sorry but I'd suggest a quick trip to the store to trade it in on a LED TV just my honest opinion... I think that plasma TVs have a nitch but the conditions have to be just right.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

Don't feel like spending another 1k for a decent one in the same size.