Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #321
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
Well, my dog's diet was championed by a California hippy. That diet seems to mimic a wolfs typical diet. I guess it's all in what you want to feed your animals. I would guess since we (humans) get nourishment from veggies, so would my dogs. Plus they like it and it stretches our food $$.
Yeah, I like the stretching of the $$ too, but I just want to make sure we're doing what's best for the dogs... If they don't need it, I won't give it... Saves me money on a food processor and shit too...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #322
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Well, my dog's diet was championed by a California hippy. That diet seems to mimic a wolfs typical diet. I guess it's all in what you want to feed your animals. I would guess since we (humans) get nourishment from veggies, so would my dogs. Plus they like it and it stretches our food $$.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #323
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
More reading this afternoon...

Found this: http://rawfed.com/myths/feedraw.html

It says the veggie portion is completely unnecessary... thoughts?
I would probably say it isn't necessary. But we have to buy the veggie stuff anyway, so if the dogs can help eat the collard greens, then I don't have to.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #324
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Yeah, but didn't you say you do supplement the meat portion with rice or something?
Yea, I don't feed strictly chicken....but I don't really use any veggies or anything. Every once in a while I'll have some leftover onion-less stirfry with broccoli and stuff that the dogs will eat.

I use rice, olive oil, cottage cheese, yogurt and organs to go with the chicken.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #325
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Yea, I don't feed strictly chicken....but I don't really use any veggies or anything. Every once in a while I'll have some leftover onion-less stirfry with broccoli and stuff that the dogs will eat.

I use rice, olive oil, cottage cheese, yogurt and organs to go with the chicken.
Not to , but isn't feeding rice counterproductive to the whole point of going raw... getting rid of the grains and bullshit that's in mass produced dog food?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #326
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Not to , but isn't feeding rice counterproductive to the whole point of going raw... getting rid of the grains and bullshit that's in mass produced dog food?
Pretty big difference between feeding some freshly cooked rice and feeding processed dog food with wheat, brewers rice (very low quality shitty rice), barley, God knows what kinds of chemicals, "by-products", corn, bran, yeast, etc., etc. The rice gets 'em extra full and makes them feel satisfied and lazy while saving me some cash. They don't have any problem processing plain ol' white rice.

The absolute main reason that I feed raw meat is because I learned that they just don't use very much meat in dog food....and dogs fucking love meat.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #327
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Cool beans... makes sense... I think we're just going to go 100% meat. Fuck it.

Great video I found btw... the comment in the first minute or so is priceless... "when the dogs eat baby bunnies like little Tootsie Rolls..." :slol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3wLT...eature=related
Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #328
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Quoted for my own personal reference...

Gloppers... do you make one kind of glop or two? Seemed like GM was talking about making two different ones... a veggie and a fruit. If so, do you altnernate? I think maybe making two, both combos of veggies and fruit, would be the way to go... keep the dogs interested... though I only change kibble flavors about every 2-3 weeks (same kind, just differnet flavor)...

I'm figuring for Taco @ around 95lbs, he should get about 2.5lbs of meat per day... using 2-3% as the baseline... For Belle @ around 30lbs, she should get 1lb of meat per day... using a bit over 3% as the baseline (figuring she's a growing puppy)... gonna try it with the cats too, fuck it.

Correct me if I'm wrong... Here's my plan...

Gonna buy a freezer and a food processor... freezer first, processor not so urgent... Look for deals at the grocery store, but will also check out the butcher down the road (you walk in and say you want 'that' chicken and they slaughter it on the spot... AND it's less than 3 miles from the house!).

When the last of their kibble is gone (est another 1.5 weeks)... I will present them with a whole chicken... well, ~2/3 for Taco and the other ~1/4 for Belle... and the other ~1/4 split between the cats. I think I'll just put it in their dishes, chopped up so they don't pull the whole damn thing out and eat it off the floor. We'll do that twice a day for a couple of weeks, then start glopping.

We'll mix up some veggie/fruit glop at that point and add it to the mix... maybe 1/4 cup for Taco, 2 tablespoons for Belle, and a tablespoon for each cat along with the meat... Not sure on the portion sizes there... Obviously their weight at that point will make the difference... if I see ribs/getting fatty/etc... but I guess what I'm asking is what's the right glop to meat ratio? Is that in addition to the weight of the meat or is that a combined weight (the 2-3%)?

Probably will buy a grinder down the road and make some prepackaged meals for dog sitters, boarding, etc. I figure that would make it much easier... just buy a bunch of zip loc containers and freeze them... whoever watches them just busts out a couple a day and forget about it.
I was making 2 glops but ended up just mixing them.

And they say to start with just raw meat for the first few weeks. This is reflective in my posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defector View Post
I don't have a specific fruit/veggie mix, but...
Since we also have an iguana, I have started sneaking some of his leafy greens/veggies/fruits in the dog's mix. I just toss everything that isn't meat in the processor for a few seconds.
I don't either... last night I noticed I had a few things I need to get rid of, so into the processor it all went...

Quote:
I'm thinking of patenting the word "Glop." Everyone owes me $1 for every use per post.
Check's in the mail.

Quote:
More reading this afternoon...

Found this: http://rawfed.com/myths/feedraw.html

It says the veggie portion is completely unnecessary... thoughts?
But that person also says 25% bone, and using organs. I do all the leg quart bone and don't currently do any organs. So I think that warrants veggies.

Quote:
I don't have a hippy but I just figure he eats the way I SHOULD eat. Healthy!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #329
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

OSP, give us updates with your cats too. I am thinking about trying it again with mine. It was a friggin nightmare the last time we tried. Should be fun.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #330
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
OSP, give us updates with your cats too. I am thinking about trying it again with mine. It was a friggin nightmare the last time we tried. Should be fun.
Aye Aye...

Bought a stand up freezer last night... $30... looks great, we'll see how long it works...

Gonna drop by the butcher tonight after work... been meaning to for a while now, but the dogs have about 1 or 2 more meals of dog food left, so I gotta move quickly.