Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-31-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
Flexin
AMA Supersport

I know more then a few cops. I'm told that traffic is the only department that needs to have some tickets. Its their job. But they don't have a quota. Quota or no quota shouldn't matter anyway.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I know more then a few cops. I'm told that traffic is the only department that needs to have some tickets. Its their job. But they don't have a quota. Quota or no quota shouldn't matter anyway.

James
They won't ever say they do, they would get reemed by the public if they did, so they just say they don't have one but really have one to meet their performance/budget goals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
They won't ever say they do, they would get reemed by the public if they did, so they just say they don't have one but really have one to meet their performance/budget goals.
My thing is I don't know why people get upset. Quota or no quota. If they catch someone speeding its the speeders fault not a quota.

This was a big topic of conversation at a BBQ I was at a month ago. Friends father pounded a few beers back then started complaining about "Speed traps". I said its not much of a trap since they have signs reminding you of the speed limit before you get to them. The spot he was complaining about has at least 4 signs for the speed limit. They are slowing you down because the that is the end of the highway.

He thinks they put the signs up to trap you. I feel its the other way around. Its just an easy spot to pick off people that are not following the rules. Why wouldn't you set up there?

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 08-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #14
Trip
Hold mah beer!

My problem is the bullshit they pull around the engineered speed limits and say its due to pollution.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 09-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
My problem is the bullshit they pull around the engineered speed limits and say its due to pollution.
What do you mean by that? I haven't heard anything on the speed limits being tied to pollution.

James
Old 09-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
My thing is I don't know why people get upset. Quota or no quota. If they catch someone speeding its the speeders fault not a quota.

There was an issue a few years back where the NJ state police had a quota system set up. The cops were caught making up BS tickets to meet their quotas when they couldn't write enough real tickets. The whole thing was exposed when a cop pulled over a news guy who was doing the speed limit, accused the guy of speeding, then was nice and wrote him a ticket for not wearing a seat belt (he was), and something else which he wasn't doing. The guy caught the whole thing on camera and put in on air.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
What do you mean by that? I haven't heard anything on the speed limits being tied to pollution.

James
It's done a lot of places, especially on interstates. Most engineered studies show max speed at 70 or 75 and local governments will drop it for BS reasons.
Quote:
Old 09-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #18
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
There was an issue a few years back where the NJ state police had a quota system set up. The cops were caught making up BS tickets to meet their quotas when they couldn't write enough real tickets. The whole thing was exposed when a cop pulled over a news guy who was doing the speed limit, accused the guy of speeding, then was nice and wrote him a ticket for not wearing a seat belt (he was), and something else which he wasn't doing. The guy caught the whole thing on camera and put in on air.
That I do have an issue with. Making up someone to give someone a ticket for is a major problem. Writing legit tickets I don't have an issue with. Hate getting them but...

James
Old 09-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #19
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
It's done a lot of places, especially on interstates. Most engineered studies show max speed at 70 or 75 and local governments will drop it for BS reasons.
I think the problem with the speed limit is that most are going to go over the speed limit. If you raise it, then people will raise the amount that they feel is safe to go over the speed limit.

There are many days I would like to see higher speed limits. Then while driving truck all day I see many people that can't handle the current speeds so I'm kinda torn.

James
Old 09-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #20
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
That I do have an issue with. Making up someone to give someone a ticket for is a major problem. Writing legit tickets I don't have an issue with. Hate getting them but...

James
I'm dealing with something similar now. I got a ticket on the last day of the month 2 months ago for failure to inspect (inspection was due last december). However I had with me my military inspection and renewal waiver as well as my ID card and orders placing me out of state. When i showed it to the cop he said that I would have to take it up with the judge, even though the official NJDMV letter gives me an indefinite extension on the inspection.