Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage
Default Planning Time!

Alright so lets try this again, I typed this big old long thread out and went to submit it and TWF booted me. But bare with me, this might get a little long. I know many of you have countless racing experience.

So I decided that next year is a good time to begin racing for a couple reasons. I will be done with school in a couple months, which will free up a ton of time. I will also be getting away from retail, which will free up those retail weekends that I am working now. So I think now is the best time to begin planning....

So I've been looking for a suitable series for some time now, but I dont want to have to travel to freaking New Jersey to get to a race either. So last week I was looking around and happened to run across this series. Its called the Moto Series, apparently part of the old Fasttrax Series.

http://www.motoseries.com/

It is a 10 weekend series held in Ohio, Penn, Indy, and Mich. The website says they use Mid-Ohio, Nelson Ledges, BeaveRun, Putnam Park, Gingerman, and Grattan. This year I think they only used 3 of the courses. They have the usual 1000 superbike, 1000 twins, 600s, 650s, multiple vintage classes, 3 hour endurance, and iron butt categories. Of course the 1000 and 600 sprint races run double headers every weekend.

So I figure the best place to start out is either the 650 twin or 600ss category. I'd just eventually sell the Honda and pick up a nice race ready bike. Something that is already safety wired and such. I'd just have to go out and get the suspension sprung for my weight.... I'm definitely not dani perdrosa . So I've been browsing Ohio-riders and found this beauty. The thing is already race ready, and nicely built. Has cam work, Yosh EMS, Yosh full system, Ohlins internals, Penske shock, etc. I was really ready to go out and buy this bike because it is reasonably priced. But I know its early and I can't jump on the first bike I see.

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=66686

So the Moto Series has a forum, and I thought I'd get on, introduce myself, ask a few questions. So I do, and this guy Ed is really helping me out and giving me advice. But he posed a question. Why not race the baby viffer??? Hmmm.... never really thought of that. It's already payed off, so I'd just have to go out and get some extra parts. But the first couple things that come to my mind are, A) The tires are TINY. Like rediculously small. Is there anything I can do? B) Can I find parts for the thing. I mean shit its like 4 years older than me!!! The guys seems pretty confindent that those old bikes are just as reliable. And I could race it in 3 categories a weekend. Vintage sport, vintage classic, and vintage light. I'm just not sure at this point. I know its early, but I really need to be ready come spring. The link to that thread is below.

http://www.motoseries.com/phpbb/view...php?f=10&t=649

So what does everybody think? Any ideas, concerns? Does this guy seem to know what he is doing, or no?
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote