Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 03-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #111
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
ICON does not make track appropriate gear. I can't trust something on the street that can't be track approved... for a few reasons. First of all, it doesn't make financial sense for me to have two wardrobes... one for street and one for track. Second, if I can't trust it on the track... it's not worth it.
and yet people will switch to completely different plastics for the track. if the bike has two wardrobes, why not the rider?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:53 PM   #112
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
and yet people will switch to completely different plastics for the track. if the bike has two wardrobes, why not the rider?
Well, that might not be the best side of the coin to argue. I don't switch back and forth... and I know a few on there (and around me) that don't.

But, I will say it is for the *pretty* factor, not a protection issue. Street plastics generally have the same protection as track - possibly better in the cases of Godfather and similar where they shatter on impact. I don't know many that buy gear for that attractive factor

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:07 PM   #113
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
http://thekneeslider.com/motorcycle-...cle-jacket.php

100% of these jackets are for suckers..... They might offer great protection, but I don't need to be looking like a clown when I roll down the street.
If you took away all of those patches then that first one would look really cool and I'd sport it for town cruising or a bike night. Has that kind of Retro Cafe Racer look to it that I love.

Which a lot of Icons stuff could improve if they got rid of the patches.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:08 PM   #114
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
If you took away all of those patches then that first one would look really cool and I'd sport it for town cruising or a bike night. Has that kind of Retro Cafe Racer look to it that I love.

Which a lot of Icons stuff could improve if they got rid of the patches.
i'll agree on that point. my jacket would look X100948758782663 times better without em
Old 03-31-2008, 07:13 PM   #115
vabarber2
ICON FTW!!!

Moto: 00GSXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post
Good gawd people!!!

First I must state that the world may be coming to an end fairly soon, Tigger and I are agreeing on yet another topic, altho I am not as forceful as he is by any means.

For those of you hating on Icon, please refer back to some of my other posts...

In the past ICON was all about flash and appearance, but the R&D they have done in the last few years has upgraded the quality of their gear considerably. I have this first hand from personal experience and also my local Parts Unlimited Rep. Does he need to sell this stuff? Yes, but does he tell it like it is? Most definitely!!! Currently ICON is street gear, and like someone else mentioned, very flashy, but they also have low key stuff.

JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER MANUFACTURER!!!

Until you actually try it out and see what its like, dont knock it!! Keep an open mind and stop harassing brands just cuz you dont like how it looks!! At some point in time we all wear something for looks and not performance! And as far as the performance goes, I'll trust ICON with my body and head every day, just like I trust my Joe Rocket gear, my Scorpion, my HJC, etc, etc etc...Yes, I am a Gear whore and I can vouch for the quality of MY ICON gear any day! If you dont like it, dont wear it! But dont knock it till you have the experience to say one way or another!

oh yeah, while i am thinking about it, most ALL of the stuff discussed here is made in cookie cutter factories overseas...so whether you think its better or not, its most likely all sewn by the same people in the same areas...you want super high quality, go custom!!
Thank you rae! Good one. I'm not going to act as if I dont go a little flashy on the gear, but it helps encourage the use of it more. Im still not the type of flashy peson to go with chrome or any of that junk. And in the end flasy or not it protects.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #116
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

so i called them up today to find out where the fuck my new lid was and why i hadn't heard anything about it and they tell me that it came in but had a defective visor, and that the soonest they could get another one (BACKORDERED) was in like may! well fuck that! i had them switch the order to the rubatone finish and they say i ought to have it by next friday at the latest. of course they also owe me a refund. we'll see if these guys turn into another ridegear.com or not
Old 04-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #117
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
so i called them up today to find out where the fuck my new lid was and why i hadn't heard anything about it and they tell me that it came in but had a defective visor, and that the soonest they could get another one (BACKORDERED) was in like may! well fuck that! i had them switch the order to the rubatone finish and they say i ought to have it by next friday at the latest. of course they also owe me a refund. we'll see if these guys turn into another ridegear.com or not
Where did you order from?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #118
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
Where did you order from?
the ebay link vabs started this thread with
Old 04-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #119
vabarber2
ICON FTW!!!

Moto: 00GSXR6

Quote:
the ebay link vabs started this thread with
Sorry to hear that bro! I've ordered from them like 10 times and never had that problem, and they usualy call me if they have any questions or comments about the order!
Old 04-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #120
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

dunno man, i waited seven days. no email, no call, nada and the girl "M&M" was pretty friendly on the phone and actually did call back like she said she would but at the same time paypal hasent logged my $30something dollar refund yet. it just really irks me when people sell things they dont actually have yet.

and now im gonna have two rubatone lids lol wheres the guy who was bitching about "flashy"? lol