Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 03-10-2008, 02:39 AM   #31
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
Comin along nicely. What all is left? Just the floor, finishing the walls and hanging the doors?
See below
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
I'm pretty sure he still has around 300 pics to post up also.
Don't like it, don't look at the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
I was wondering when you were going to bring this thread over. Glad to see it back up. I thought you were going to paint the insides of the doors white. Did you change your mind?
Thanks man. Yeah, I thought more about it and decided it would look funny, especially when I opened the doors. I think they look good this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiomechanic View Post
Great job, CEO! I'm a hobbiest wood worker myself so I appreaciate good work. The constuction of the doors looks very solid.
Thanks a lot man... yeah, they are very solid... and heavy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiomechanic View Post
Now we just gotta get GasMan to continue his Phoenix thread. How bout it? I know I'd like to see what becomes of the chop!
to that.... even if he just has to start where he is now and not have all the previous info... I've enjoyed following that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by papapoi View Post
So why is there a huge dent in your Bike??
Haha you almost got me you bastard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabarber2 View Post
Looking Good! Now quit messing around and put the finishing touches on it!!
I'm trying, eh? Cut me some slack!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Get any work done on that beeyotch this weekend?
Yes sir, quite a bit

Got a lot accomplished yesterday and today. Also, I'll be able to work on it tomorrow (monday), friday, and next weekend. Hell yeah.

I got all the materials necessary for the small door: solid wood slab exterior door, exterior door jambs, lock set, hinges, and a kit with jigs to help you cut all your doorknob holes. I painted the door and jambs and let them to sit:

I ripped out the old shitty door, and installed the new jambs.

Later sunday night I got the hinges on the small door, mounted it, and got the knob and lock all working great. It was dark so I didn't take more pics. The door still needs another coat of paint and I need to insulate around the frame with caulking and some other odds and ends. I'll get pics tomorrow.

Also, I found some hinges that would work for the large doors at a killer price. They are commercial grade 4.5" hinges with non-removable pins, ball bearing movement, nice thick metal for the plates, very beefy pin, and they were pre-primed for painting. Best of all, only 6 bucks a piece. It was a no-brainer. I got 6... maybe I only need four, but figured at that price I might as well overkill.

I attached the hinges via 5/16" lag screws for 6 of the 8 holes, and then 1 on each side is a through bolt to the other side. This was if someone wants to break it they can't just take out the bolts on the hinges. I mounted up the doors... shimmed them up into place and got two hinges attached with half the bolts on each... just to test the movement. Movement was smooth and felt great.

My plan tomorrow is to tidy up all my loose ends. Hopefully this can all be done in a day, but I'm not sure.

- Quick trip to the Depot for more paint and some bolts

- Finish all the small door odds and ends
---- Painting
---- Caulking/insulating
---- Weatherstrip on the bottom
---- Etc.

- Finish the big doors
---- Mount the other two hinges
---- Attach all lags/bolts
---- Attach the gate latch to connect the two doors
---- Rig up the cane bolt for the floor
---- Weatherstrip the entire opening
---- Attach weatherstrips/wipers for the bottom of the doors
---- Rubber strips over the gaps on the hinge sides
---- Paint hinges, frame, general trim around the doors

- Final drywall work
---- Small pieces by all the doors (big doors, small door, door to main basement)

- Clean the shit out of the place
---- Get rid of all random wood
---- Sweep floor
---- Organize all tools
---- Can now get rid of table, etc.

It's already starting to look less cluttered in there just from my moving the table out of the way:

At that point, I will be ready to tackle starting the mudding, sanding, and painting next friday, saturday, and sunday.

Oh yeah, and I'm going for a god damn ride. The bike needs it, and I need it. It's suppose to be around 38. Good enough.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:20 AM   #32
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

looks good slut... come to CO next year... you can build me a garage and I'll show you some sweet ass roads (I'll be finding them while your building said garage)
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #33
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I've got that same Black and Decker door lock installer. Works really nice.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:54 AM   #34
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
looks good slut... come to CO next year... you can build me a garage and I'll show you some sweet ass roads (I'll be finding them while your building said garage)
I feel like this is not the best deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I've got that same Black and Decker door lock installer. Works really nice.
Yeah, considering it's just a plastic jig, I was pleased with how well it worked.

So I didn't get quite as much done today as I originally planned/wanted, but that's alright. I woke up late (needed the rest), had to ship some things, wanted to ride, and needed to organize the place quite a bit.

I finished drilling all the holes and installing all the bolts for the big doors. They open smoothly, and work great. They are all ready to be sealed up and all latches and such installed, all of which I have a plan for and have all the parts. I'll do that next time.

Also, I realized I never posted pics of the outside concrete work. To fix all of the potential drainage problems due to the asphalt sloping toward the building, everything was re-done with concrete. This is also the reason for the low ceiling height, the floor in the garage needed to be at the asphalt level plus a little bit. You can see here all of the concrete built up against the building to encourage runoff. So far from what I've seen it all works great.

Then, I decided no matter what, I needed to ride. Went out for about two hours, hit some twisties, got the feel back, etc. It felt fucking great. About to head out:

When I returned, instead of worrying about little trim work, painting and insulating the door frames, etc (all which would require a Depot trip), I decided to clean up and get organized. Also, this is due to the trash guy coming tomorrow... needed to get rid of some scrap. There was a TON of old and scrap wood. I cut it all into pieces to fit into barrels (the only way they'll take it). It filled up six trash barrels!

Also, cleaned up garage. Some of the clutter were the makeshift 'tables' I had been using for work, which ended up in the pics above. Also, organized all the tools and swept up. That's a shitload of sawdust!

Lots of space in there now that a lot of the shit is out. It's going to be so sweet when I'm done. Bike looks great in there, too The tire tracks are from me test-fitting our jeep in there... if we needed it to fit, it does, barely. Wouldn't be worth it for everyday storage though.

Gotta love the 'reverse chicken strips' due to the shitty weather... most of the tire all smoothed out from normal use, the edges ripped up from track use (tire temperature as well as harder accel at lean causes the shredding...)

Basically, everything is ready to go. Next time I go out, I will finish all the door insulation, weatherstripping, caulking, and painting. Then, I'll hang the last few small bits of drywall by the doors, and pull the bike and everything except for drywall stuff out of the garage. That should all take one day. Then, the next day the mudding and sanding will start. After that, it will just be painting, building shelves, and building a workbench. I've also got a few little finishing touches/surprises up my sleeve

Last edited by ceo012384; 03-11-2008 at 02:58 AM..
Old 03-11-2008, 03:23 AM   #35
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

looks nice but WTF!? did you have Michael J Fox driving the jeep!? those tire tracks are wavy as fuck
Old 03-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #36
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

The low ceiling height shouldn't be a problem for your midget ass..
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #37
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Will you be done by Sat? I should be riding mine Sat... unless the weather doesn't co-operate then I'll just be starting it.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #38
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
looks nice but WTF!? did you have Michael J Fox driving the jeep!? those tire tracks are wavy as fuck
that's some funny shit.

But yeah, the fit was wayyy snug... had to keep making minor direction adjustments. Had to pull in the mirrors too. It was just a test because I was curious. I doubt if it will ever be used for that probably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
The low ceiling height shouldn't be a problem for your midget ass..
Exactly. Anyone over 5'11" would have to duck for most parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Will you be done by Sat? I should be riding mine Sat... unless the weather doesn't co-operate then I'll just be starting it.
That's awesome man! No, I won't...
Old 03-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #39
vabarber2
ICON FTW!!!

Moto: 00GSXR6

FINISH IT!!!

Its looking good, and you've got a nice amount of room (other than cieling)!
vabarber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:33 AM   #40
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
that's some funny shit.

But yeah, the fit was wayyy snug... had to keep making minor direction adjustments. Had to pull in the mirrors too. It was just a test because I was curious. I doubt if it will ever be used for that probably.

Exactly. Anyone over 5'11" would have to duck for most parts.

That's awesome man! No, I won't...

well when you build mine... we'll need at least 10 ft side to side... and 8.5 ft clearance for the doors... so I can fit my truck in once it gets it's lift and 37" tires