Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 11-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #41
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
And how often does it snow that much there? How often do you drive onto the beach? Better yet, how often does a Cali resident do those things? Pretty much never, yet about 50% of what I see on the road here is a well-dressed office worker in a brand-new upscale SUV or pickup.
Don't know about Cali. Only snows a couple times a year here usually BUT since that is the case we have almost NO snow clearing equipment for the roads so it will last for days so I'm prepared because I need to be at work even/especialy when others can't make it. A few times a year on the beach.

4x4 high (part-time) also works when it's pouring down rain so that's a plus too.

I bought this thing in 2002 and also pulled my boat with it until I traded boats in 2006..now I could use a bigger SUV.

Point is...I use mine.

Since mine isn't brand-new or upscale I guess your statements don't apply to me anyways.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #42
shmike
Follower

Quote:
And how often does it snow that much there? How often do you drive onto the beach? Better yet, how often does a Cali resident do those things? Pretty much never, yet about 50% of what I see on the road here is a well-dressed office worker in a brand-new upscale SUV or pickup.
My boss drives a brand new upscale pick-up. He wears a tie to work everyday.

His wife drives a brand new H2 to tote the kids back and forth to school and get to her tennis matches. I'm sure you'd scoff at them.

On the weekends they use their vehicles at their ranch. 4WD is needed.

If they aren't at the ranch they may be at their other house pulling one of their boats out of a muddy bay.

Ever go to a trackday?

Glamis?

The local boat ramp?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #43
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Why drive a 'vette to work? He certainly won't be able to max it on the highways leading to the office, and a smaller car or scooter no doubt gets better fuel economy. Most people just drive "sports cars" for the trendiness of it and rarely drive them fast or take them to the track.
It's not necessary to floor a Vette to enjoy its power. Nor is it necessary to go to a track to enjoy its handling. Every time you change lanes or turn the wheel for any reason, you can tell that its handling is different than your average sedan.

So you get benefits from owning a Vette every time you drive it. But do you get benefits from an SUV every time you drive it? If you are just driving to work alone, with no cargo, on a dry road, the only benefit I can see is having a commanding view of the road....... (while blocking the view of the lower vehicle behind you, of course).
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #44
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Don't know about Cali. Only snows a couple times a year here usually BUT since that is the case we have almost NO snow clearing equipment for the roads so it will last for days so I'm prepared because I need to be at work even/especialy when others can't make it. A few times a year on the beach.

4x4 high (part-time) also works when it's pouring down rain so that's a plus too.

I bought this thing in 2002 and also pulled my boat with it until I traded boats in 2006..now I could use a bigger SUV.

Point is...I use mine.

Since mine isn't brand-new or upscale I guess your statements don't apply to me anyways.
You didn't just say that it comes in handy for the rain did you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #45
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
My boss drives a brand new upscale pick-up. He wears a tie to work everyday.

His wife drives a brand new H2 to tote the kids back and forth to school and get to her tennis matches. I'm sure you'd scoff at them.

On the weekends they use their vehicles at their ranch. 4WD is needed.

If they aren't at the ranch they may be at their other house pulling one of their boats out of a muddy bay.

Ever go to a trackday?

Glamis?

The local boat ramp?
Don't need 4X4 for a track day.
dumbest thing I've heard all minute.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 11-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #46
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post

Ever go to a trackday?

Glamis?

The local boat ramp?
We could argue this all day. What percentage of SUV owners have a boat or a ranch?

And there are plenty of trackday riders or dirtbike riders who do just fine towing their bikes with a small trailer on the back of a sedan or hatchback.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #47
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
You didn't just say that it comes in handy for the rain did you?
Yes I did.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #48
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
It's not necessary to floor a Vette to enjoy its power. Nor is it necessary to go to a track to enjoy its handling. Every time you change lanes or turn the wheel for any reason, you can tell that its handling is different than your average sedan.

So you're saying...you don't have to fully use a vehicle's abilities all the time to enjoy them?

Hm.

Seems to me a sports car is far less comfortable and far less economical than something smaller. Who wants to be beat to death by stiff suspension and twitchy steering on a basic commute? Who wants to deal with a heavy clutch in traffic when they can have a nice slushbox?

Seems to me if they're not using the performance all the time, they're just poseurs out for the "trendiness" of driving a sporty car. Anyone who drives anything more than a Tata Nano or Yamaha Zuma 50 is a poseur, because they're just not using the vehicle's capabilities.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #49
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Yes I did.
lulz

Quote:
Old 11-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #50
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Need?

You guys walk everywhere? Because nobody needs a car, or truck, or bike..

Needs shouldn't even be an argument. When the majority of you don't need 95% of the things you own and or use.

3000 square foot house? Not needed. 2 cars? Don't need any!
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote