Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Sports Bar

Old 01-30-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage
Default Obama and the BCS

Obama could be feeding the poor, or fixing the economy.... but he would rather fix college football. HE IS THE FUCKING MAN!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4870657

WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration is considering several steps that would review the legality of the controversial Bowl Championship Series, the Justice Department said in a letter Friday to a senator who had asked for an antitrust review.

In the letter to Sen. Orrin Hatch, obtained by The Associated Press, Assistant Attorney General Ronald Weich wrote that the Justice Department is reviewing Hatch's request and other materials to determine whether to open an investigation into whether the BCS violates antitrust laws.

"Importantly, and in addition, the administration also is exploring other options that might be available to address concerns with the college football postseason," Weich wrote, including asking the Federal Trade Commission to review the legality of the BCS under consumer protection laws.

Several lawmakers and many critics want the BCS to switch to a playoff system, rather than the ratings system it uses to determine the teams that play in the championship game.

"The administration shares your belief that the current lack of a college football national championship playoff with respect to the highest division of college football ... raises important questions affecting millions of fans, colleges and universities, players and other interested parties," Weich wrote.

Weich made note of the fact that President Barack Obama, before he was sworn in, had stated his preference for a playoff system. In 2008, Obama said he was going to "to throw my weight around a little bit" to nudge college football toward a playoff system, a point that Hatch stressed when he urged Obama last fall to ask the department to investigate the BCS.

Weich said that other options include encouraging the NCAA to take control of the college football postseason; asking a governmental or non-governmental commission to review the costs, benefits and feasibility of a playoff system; and legislative efforts aimed at prompting a switch to a playoff system.

Weich noted that several undefeated teams have not had a chance to play for the national championship, including TCU and Boise State this year and Utah last year.

"This seemingly discriminatory action with regard to revenues and access have raised questions regarding whether the BCS potentially runs afoul of the nation's antitrust laws," he wrote.

Hatch, a Utah Republican, was steamed that his home state team was deprived of getting a chance to play for the title last year.

"I'm encouraged by the administration's response," he said in a statement. "I continue to believe there are antitrust issues the administration should explore, but I'm heartened by its willingness to consider alternative approaches to confront the tremendous inequities in the BCS that favor one set of schools over others. The current system runs counter to basic fairness that every family tries to instill in their children from the day they are born."

Under the BCS, the champions of six conference have automatic bids to play in top-tier bowl games, while the other conferences don't. Those six conferences also receive more money than the other conferences, although the BCS announced this week that the ones that don't have automatic bids will receive a record $24 million from this year's bowl games.

"This letter is nothing new and if the Justice Department thought there was a case to be made, they likely would have made it already," BCS executive director Bill Hancock said in a released statement.

"There is much less to this letter than meets the eye. The White House knows that with all the serious issues facing the country, the last thing they should do is increase the deficit by spending money to investigate how the college football playoffs are played," the statement continued. "With all due respect to Senator Hatch, he is overstating this importance of the letter he received from the Office of Legislative Affairs."
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:22 AM   #2
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

The One is a rock star. So get used to it. Fuck the poor! Fuck the misfortuned! Fuck world peace! Fuck democracy! But by golly, The One will get involved in college basketball, drink beer with cop and home boy, watch MTV and comment on Kanye West/Taylor Swift.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:27 AM   #3
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

I never thought I'd say it, but I want bush back. obama so far has earned the title of worthless pile of shit to me.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:37 AM   #4
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Hatch sent a complaint to the Justice department and they responded that they are checking it out.

I personally like the last line if the article
Quote:
"With all due respect to Senator Hatch, he is overstating this importance of the letter he received from the Office of Legislative Affairs."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:57 AM   #5
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
I never thought I'd say it, but I want bush back.
Ah, you mean someone who was on vacation half the time, didn't have the vitality to multi-task as well as Obama, and would rather keep everything secret instead of facing the public
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:20 AM   #6
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Ah, you mean someone who was on vacation half the time, didn't have the vitality to multi-task as well as Obama, and would rather keep everything secret instead of facing the public
pretty much. at least bush's racket was war, more or less. I like wars.

obama, well he just pisses me off. I'm trying not to use the N word, but honestly I feel he deserves to be called it.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Ah, so here is one of the "new" ideas Avatard was talking about. This will help our country tremendously! Obama is apparently the best president ever.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
pretty much. at least bush's racket was war, more or less. I like wars.

obama, well he just pisses me off. I'm trying not to use the N word, but honestly I feel he deserves to be called it.
Newby?
Neophyte?
Normal?
New?
Cause to call him what you want to call him, just for being a poor president is taking it way too far, and shows just how much sun you get on the back of your neck.
Name a president that has done anything significantly good in the last 4 terms.

Obama has done one great thing so far, he kept Palin out.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
Newby?
Neophyte?
Normal?
New?
Cause to call him what you want to call him, just for being a poor president is taking it way too far, and shows just how much sun you get on the back of your neck.
Name a president that has done anything significantly good in the last 4 terms.

Obama has done one great thing so far, he kept Palin out.
narcissist
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Think of all the college football analysists he will put out of work if hge resolves this controversey. They wont have anything to talk about and will be let go
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote