Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic
Question Is 85MPH The Safest Speed Limit?

as seen on Cyril's Blog

Quote:
I have no clue, but some studies by traffic engineers would have shown that 85 mph is, believe it or not, the safest speed to travel on any given stretch of road. I just read 2 years ago that Europe, where overall roads and highways have higher posted speed limits, the number of accidents, injured and deaths per mile traveled is much lower than in the US.

A CBS Texas station just reported that driving 85 mph could soon be a legal reality, at least on Texas highways. The State House has passed a bill that would give the Department of Transportation power to raise the current speed limit. If the bill is voted in Texas Senate, the Lone Star State would have the highest speed limit in the nation. New engineering tests and traffic studies are requested by opponents, with Jerry Johns from the Insurance Institute claiming that higher speed limits would create more accidents, more injuries and more deaths, but without giving any statistics to support his statement. (thank you Keith Thomas)
I'm all for it... but maybe not for the safety aspect... how about the fact that I do this speed already and then it wouldn't be illegal. MORE THROTTLE boys!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Road technology and vehicle safety have been improving for years, however speeds have gone nothing but down. Government officials are full of shit, speed limits are not based on safety, they are based on revenue generation. Engineering studies go through "management review" in which they are changed based on management discretion. That's how the game is played.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Precisely.

The "Safest speed" has been determined, time and again, to be the 85 percentile.

See, when you drive, unless you just started driving last week, your subconscious is usually doing most of the work. Consciously, you're probably thinking about other shit, or listening to the radio.

If you're at all fucking normal, your subconscious is (oddly enough) not out to fucking KILL YOU, and thus you drive at a speed that is "so safe" that your conscious mind need not get involved most of the time.

Few may drive faster, a few slower, but the vast majority tend to maintain a safe and reasonable speed as a result.

The government ignores all of this, despite the many commissioned studies bearing this out, and sets limits unrealistically low for the reasons Trip mentioned.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

I liked Montana's "reasonable and prudent" speed limit. I was on the highway and flew by a cop sitting in the median. I was going between 90 and 100. I didn't slow down. He stayed put. It was wonderful.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Road technology and vehicle safety have been improving for years, however speeds have gone nothing but down. Government officials are full of shit, speed limits are not based on safety, they are based on revenue generation. Engineering studies go through "management review" in which they are changed based on management discretion. That's how the game is played.
You should see the number of law enforcement hitting the ticket books right now on the side of our freeways. It looks like it's going to be a reality here, and they are doing their best effort to get every dollar out while they can. I mean, I haven't EVER seen this many on patrol freeway-side.

Personally, I don't think the US vs European statistics are EVER fair though. Countries in Europe require much higher education levels and produce drivers that are more aware and capable than even the above average US drivers.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

True, but factor in the fact that cars are so fucking idiot proof and safe now that we can go a wee tad faster.

The other thing is, how slow is "safe enough"?

Sure 55 saves lives, but wouldn't 45 save more?

How about 35?

Heck, 10.

Fuck it, stay home.

Wait. No.

Most accidents happen in the home...
Old 04-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
True, but factor in the fact that cars are so fucking idiot proof and safe now that we can go a wee tad faster.
Problem is, only new cars are being made more and more idiot proof. What about those of us that don't buy new cars? Hell, I probably won't have a car with any type of traction control for at least 10 to 15 years. I don't buy new cars. I buy cheap old cars and drive them till they die or get wrecked, whichever comes first. If the speed limit is based on car safety features, we'll really have a mess on our hands and government will then try to get involved in what I drive. Fuck that.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

In a way, you're preaching to the choir. I currently have a car with traction control.

I'm selling it to build a 1969 car with nary a safety feature to be found on it.

These things must be based on averages, and let's face it, most people aren't you and me.

Suffice to say, crusty fuckers like you and I can probably handle a car that isn't made by Fisher Price.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Texas is a flat barren wasteland where you can see 12 miles ahead of you. If you can't drive 100mph safely there, well you deserve everything you get.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
Texas is a flat barren wasteland where you can see 12 miles ahead of you. If you can't drive 100mph safely there, well you deserve everything you get.
That's exactly right. No one else should ever move here. This place sucks.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote