Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 10-17-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N
Default Which Shinko tires you want me to review

Well its tire time and I thought I would have some fun and go of into left field. I've always been the guy that likes to try a product that "isn't good" or "sucks." Heck, people talk to me strange when they find out I have D616's on my vfr.

So here's your choices.

003 Stealth - Soft tire. Should be sticky sticky.

005 Advance - The "All Around" tire.

009 Raven - Already a review done on these by Treybrad. A mileage tire.

New designs

010 Apex - These are the "new" 005's, but the rear is JLSB (Joint-Less Steel Belted) with a new tread radius design for better high speed cornering. The fronts are still aramid belted. Intermediate compound. Sport.

011 Verge - These are the upgraded 009's. A mileage tire with JLSB rear. Sport/touring.

I'll see what ya'll have to say and compare it to what my brain is thinking. I'll make a choice from ya'lls replies or I might just randomly pick one. We'll see.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

My vote is 003

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

I actually have a set of 005s on right now. The old tires were whipped when I bought the bike and seller included these with it. I didnt feel like buying different ones so I mounted them. Ended up doing a fair bit of 2up touring with them this summer and they held up well. After about 5000Kms the front has not developed the notorious "Cupping" that most tires get on our roads and the rear has not flat spotted in the center. I've got them worn pretty much to the edge without much drama from them. I've never priced them but I understand they're pretty cheap. Popular with the drag racers around here. Not a bad tire for the price I guess.
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

You go right ahead.

I bought a Speed 4 this spring an it had a set of almost new 06's on it....bike slid around like it was on greased BB's....and yes, the tires had correct pressures....

My preferrred technique is brake early and late turn in-late apex for the street. I like to snap the bike over.....not with the Shinkos.....I skated the front twice in abouit two miles and that was enough for me.....on went some 2CT's....
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
You go right ahead.

I bought a Speed 4 this spring an it had a set of almost new 06's on it....bike slid around like it was on greased BB's....and yes, the tires had correct pressures....

My preferrred technique is brake early and late turn in-late apex for the street. I like to snap the bike over.....not with the Shinkos.....I skated the front twice in abouit two miles and that was enough for me.....on went some 2CT's....
I'm with you, I spooned a set on in desperation one Sat and they were off after a trip around town. Although this was before the "new" compounds. As I understood it, Shinko was buying old molds/machines from other companies, so you basically ended up with "old tech" tires. Probably okay, depending on the bike and your riding habits but I didn't like them very much.

If you want cheap, I've heard decent things about Full Bore tires... Under $200/set but heck, I just saw Dunlop Q2s 120/70-190/55s for $230 shipped so... FWIW the "top end" Shinko tires (010/011) are about $210 shipped. They are getting very good reviews I must say.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Im not doing it because of price. I can put whatever tires i want on my bikes.

These tires need "full" reviews instead of typical no one wants to try them cause 5 people down said they sucked.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Im not doing it because of price. I can put whatever tires i want on my bikes.

These tires need "full" reviews instead of typical no one wants to try them cause 5 people down said they sucked.
Well, I personally think that you'll be happy with basically any tires you choose for the bikes you own. You can't really go wrong IMHO. Let us know what you discover. Thanks.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

winters coming, even in Texas the roads will be cold. Go full soft. Lets go full soft. I'd like to know if the 003s could be budget track day tires...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

My vfr can wear down a Qualifier as if it was made out of marshmellows.

I want to try out the "new" tires, but I've got this going on another forum. I can wait a few more days before making up my mind.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

VFRs are kinda porky arent they?

I bet if 'ridden' a good rider could do a set of anything in a day or two of 'spirited' riding???

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote