Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage
Default Salvage Titles/bikes

I've been looking into a company out of Cinci that deals in salvage bikes for awhile. Some of them are absolute no-nos, but a couple of them look really good. I found a 2006 Suzuki GS500 with 8000ish miles for $1800. Just some scratches on the pipe and the edge of the side fairing, but a new pipe would clean it up. I am really interested to go eye check it.

Anybody have any problems with insurance companies and salvages???

http://www.racersedge411.com/
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

The bike may look good but remember its a salvaged bike. Could there be something you aren't seeing?

I bought my Gix back from the insurance as a salvage bike but only because I knew exactly what happened to it.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
The bike may look good but remember its a salvaged bike. Could there be something you aren't seeing?

I bought my Gix back from the insurance as a salvage bike but only because I knew exactly what happened to it.
I would always mill over it with eyes and hands, have them start it and get it up to temp, look for fluid or leaks, they allow test rides with cash.....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 02-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I've been told either it works out or its a nightmare. Salvage title is still a title. It just means that it was damaged more than its worth. Does not mean the vehicle/bike is worthless. Depending on your state you can rebuild the title to a normal title. Takes time and money.

I dont know about getting a salvage insured but being legal to ride on the road is fine. Just don't expect a good resale value. People see salvage and look away. There's a guy here the sells salvaged bikes. Mainly plastic damage and he replaces and they look brand new again.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

If you're lookin for a 500 or similar, you can get them all day for that price without a salvage title. Prolly a bit older with more miles, but I've seen really, really clean bikes go for that coin.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

an 06 GS500F with a salvage title is worth less than that frankly. $1800 will get you a GOOD used GS500F with a clean title. if its salvage, I wont spend more than $1000 at most unless absolutely everything checks out, I can hear it running, and know it rides straight.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Interesting.... it seems like all of these bikes are going for around $2300-2800 range here on CL. Even in the dead middle of winter!!! Unless you want a bike from 1991 thats had like 6 owners....

But yes, under my current financial situation... a 500 is about what I can afford. I'd be happy with it.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 02-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Understandable, but the number of owners isnt a HUGE deal. honestly, I've never given a shit how many people owned a vehicle, just how many have taken good care of it, and fixed issues it may have.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #9
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
Understandable, but the number of owners isnt a HUGE deal. honestly, I've never given a shit how many people owned a vehicle, just how many have taken good care of it, and fixed issues it may have.
Is that the same with your women?
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

JMHO, but: There is nothing wrong with buying a salvage titled bike, as long as you know what you are looking at. If it won't run and ride when you buy it, you have no way of knowing about strange handling, lack of shifting (that's what happens when you bang the shift lever over with full load; shifting drums gall, internal springs break, or shift forks bend) or new and exciting leaks.

Understand that a decent salvage bike with simple cosmetic issues can be a cheap reliable ride for many years.

A. I'll NEVER buy a salvage titled bike from a dealer/salvage house. They are marked up 100% over what is available from private parties on CL and Cycletrader.

B. Low end bikes can be had for nearly the same price with or without a salvage title; it just takes a little patience and shopping.

C. The big money to be saved is in the higher-priced bikes...that RSV or 09 GSXR1000 that just needs a new set of plastics....

D. If I'm not in a hurry, careful shopping can yeild almost as good a price as bottom feeding for salvage. http://www.searchtempest.com/results...ch_string_neg=
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote