Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300
Default Ruff or bumpy pavement turns me into a biatch!

Ok, we have some roads we ride pretty regularly, one of which is pretty darn rough, my buddy Travis will take these corners just as he would on a smooth as a baby's bottom surface. For the life of me, I have yet to have that type of confidence in a corner on that road or similar surfaces. Two questions:

1) How do I increase my confidence level on ruff/bumpy pavement?

2)Does it affect you the same way? If not how did you get over that hump?
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
Ok, we have some roads we ride pretty regularly, one of which is pretty darn rough, my buddy Travis will take these corners just as he would on a smooth as a baby's bottom surface. For the life of me, I have yet to have that type of confidence in a corner on that road or similar surfaces. Two questions:

1) How do I increase my confidence level on ruff/bumpy pavement? Check your suspension settings...

2)Does it affect you the same way? If not how did you get over that hump?Yep and by adjusting my suspension settings...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post

1) How do I increase my confidence level on ruff/bumpy pavement?

2)Does it affect you the same way? If not how did you get over that hump?
I can understand your pain on that. Ever since I low sided in some gravel, I choke up hard on the handle bars any time I see pebble like debris. I practically lose all focus and worry about the small pebbles on the ground. I tried ridding a couple more times on those roads and ended up getting rear ended by a lady on her cell phone. Now I am just paranoid!

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Just take every ounce of weight off the bars, and onto your pegs. Let the suspension do its work instead of fighting it.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Just take every ounce of weight off the bars, and onto your pegs. Let the suspension do its work instead of fighting it.
I do fight the natural tendency to tense up and will mentally tell myself to stay loose, I think it's a mental roadblock I need to burst though I just unconsciously slow down, not a chop the throttle type of slowing though.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

As you would say, but coming from me...

"move north grasshopper"

very rarely does a nice road stay nice around here... salt eats them up and if not the salt, then amish buggy tires.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
I can understand your pain on that. Ever since I low sided in some gravel, I choke up hard on the handle bars any time I see pebble like debris. I practically lose all focus and worry about the small pebbles on the ground. I tried ridding a couple more times on those roads and ended up getting rear ended by a lady on her cell phone. Now I am just paranoid!
There is so much gravel around here that it does not bother me really unless it's a broken patch of road that's now gravel-like...
Old 10-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

As said previously, good suspension that is properly setup will do wonders for confidence.

You cannot ride faster on a bumpy road vs. a smooth one. You can, however, be slow on both. lol

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
It's like riding dirtbike in the sand. Relax and let the bike do the work. ( as particle man stated, your suspension has to be working WITH you )
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:23 AM   #10
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

One of the best things to do is practice with limited traction situations.

Ride your bike IN GRAVEL. Your tires will slip, but you will get used to the feeling and how to control it.

I ride with a buddy who HATES limited traction situations, rain, gravel, sand, bumpy road surfaces.

I don't mind them because I used to ride dirt bikes. I kind of like the feeling sometimes of breaking the rear loose.

There are plenty of gravel roads in NC. Find one that has a minimal amount of large rocks in it (likely to puncture a tire) and work on it.

--Erik Buell

FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote