AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Where are the pics!
Old 05-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Of......?

Just been doing test pics, so far. Nothing worth posting yet, as I'm trying to find the limits of the E-M5.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Straight out of the camera, with resize only. No tone correction, sharpening, noise reduction, white balance, or cleaning of the bike.

12-50mm F3.5-6.3 @ 16mm, F4.1 (wide open)
ISO 800
1/3200 sec.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Q5280086.JPG (214.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Papa_Complex; 05-29-2012 at 06:38 AM..
Old 12-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #14
Flexin
AMA Supersport

I'm looking at getting a Nikon 1 J2 this month. I want it mainly for taking pictures of cars/bikes at shows for a site. I have been thinking about a Nikon 1 for a number of reasons and now with the price of the J2 I feel I have to give it a shot. If it isn't to the job then I can return it.

What I'm wondering is if the lens that will be good for what I want to do? I will at times want to use it with the kids and for taking pictures of boats while one the waterfront.

Here is the specs for the included lens. 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30 mm f/3.5-5.6 Interchangeable Lens (3x optical zoom / 27-81 mm equivalent in 35 mm format).

Here is the other lenses available for the Nikon 1 line. http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...ses/index.page

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #15
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

I wasn't sure about the range of the lens but, after checking the sensor size on the Nikon 1 series cameras, it looks OK for what you want to do. I had thought Nikon had gone with an APS-C sensor in their mirrorless system cameras, but they seem to have used a new smaller 1" sensor instead.

You might want to check out the DPReview Nikon 1 forum and see what they're saying about focus speed. I'm not familiar with the system but you might be surprised how important focus speed is, when shooting kids.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1058?...t&ref=mainmenu

Old 12-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I wasn't sure about the range of the lens but, after checking the sensor size on the Nikon 1 series cameras, it looks OK for what you want to do. I had thought Nikon had gone with an APS-C sensor in their mirrorless system cameras, but they seem to have used a new smaller 1" sensor instead.

You might want to check out the DPReview Nikon 1 forum and see what they're saying about focus speed. I'm not familiar with the system but you might be surprised how important focus speed is, when shooting kids.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1058?...t&ref=mainmenu
I did check some reviews on it. I remember reading that the focus speed was pretty good. And kids make you realize how important it is really quick. I like my old camera but it was lacking in how long it took to take a picture. I missed soooo many shots it isn't funny.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #17
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

I recently picked up the new Olympus E-M1 mirrorless system camera. I'm hoping to use it to replace my Oly E-5 DSLR for trackside work, since it's got both PDAF and CDAF. The phase detection sensor is built into the imaging sensor, so I can use my Four-Thirds DSLR lenses on it with an adapter, with hopefully sports level focusing speeds. It's no slouch with the Micro Four-Thirds lenses either.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I'm looking at getting a Nikon 1 J2 this month. I want it mainly for taking pictures of cars/bikes at shows for a site. I have been thinking about a Nikon 1 for a number of reasons and now with the price of the J2 I feel I have to give it a shot. If it isn't to the job then I can return it.

What I'm wondering is if the lens that will be good for what I want to do? I will at times want to use it with the kids and for taking pictures of boats while one the waterfront.

Here is the specs for the included lens. 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30 mm f/3.5-5.6 Interchangeable Lens (3x optical zoom / 27-81 mm equivalent in 35 mm format).

Here is the other lenses available for the Nikon 1 line. http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...ses/index.page

James
I used to have a Nikon J1 with the 10-30mm lens, I bought it for the built in intervalometer. It was a good little camera but I mounted it on my multicopter last year and it died in a crash. 10-30 mm is a good gerneral purpose range but its a lot more pocketable with the 10mm 2.8 lens.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #19
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
I used to have a Nikon J1 with the 10-30mm lens, I bought it for the built in intervalometer. It was a good little camera but I mounted it on my multicopter last year and it died in a crash. 10-30 mm is a good gerneral purpose range but its a lot more pocketable with the 10mm 2.8 lens.
All my experience is with traditional SLR/DSLR lenses, but isn't 10mm a pretty extreme wide-angle? I don't know how the crop factor with the sensor affects that, and if the 10mm focal length designation is arbitrary with those cameras or not.

I only bring it up because I wouldn't recommend a wide-angle lens for shooting portraits. You get a lot of distortion (read: alien head syndrome in your subject).

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #20
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
All my experience is with traditional SLR/DSLR lenses, but isn't 10mm a pretty extreme wide-angle? I don't know how the crop factor with the sensor affects that, and if the 10mm focal length designation is arbitrary with those cameras or not.

I only bring it up because I wouldn't recommend a wide-angle lens for shooting portraits. You get a lot of distortion (read: alien head syndrome in your subject).
That was my thought at first, also, then I checked the sensor size. It's a 1" sensor, which is even smaller than the Four-Thirds sensors in my E-5 and E-M1, so that's more of a 'normal' than a 'wide' zoom.