Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
That was my thought at first, also, then I checked the sensor size. It's a 1" sensor, which is even smaller than the Four-Thirds sensors in my E-5 and E-M1, so that's more of a 'normal' than a 'wide' zoom.
Makes sense, I just wasn't sure if the focal length on the lens took that into account like on the cropped sensor DSLRs. Either way, I'm sticking to my D800. It's just nice being able to buy vintage prime lenses on the cheap that will still fit on a modern camera body.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #22
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
Makes sense, I just wasn't sure if the focal length on the lens took that into account like on the cropped sensor DSLRs. Either way, I'm sticking to my D800. It's just nice being able to buy vintage prime lenses on the cheap that will still fit on a modern camera body.
Adapters do wonders

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #23
Archren
Sham WOW

Quote:
Adapters do wonders
Yes, however can't use Canon lenses on Nikon bodies, but vice-versa you can (Nikon lenses on Canon bodies), so there are no Canon-lens-to-Nikon-body adapters. Something about the Canon lenses doesn't jive with Nikons (I read about it somewhere a while back, when my Architectural Photography instructor recommended I look into it, since the school only has tilt-shift lenses for Canon). Not sure if it's possible to find other manufacturer lenses that would work with a Nikon body with an adapter (Olympus, etc), but it's neither here nor there right now. I don't see myself investing in a tilt-shift or any other specialty lens right away, and for the time being I have prime lenses that suit my purposes (28mm, 50mm, 105mm and 165mm). Shooting architecture with the 28mm meant having to photomerge frames together when shooting tight spaces and then having to correct lens and perspective distortion after the fact, but I got a 95 on my final project, so it worked out.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."

-Dr. Seuss
Old 12-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

The only tilt/shift stuff that I've done, I did in software. Like macro work, it just isn't my thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4242073_blur.JPG (53.9 KB, 20 views)

Old 12-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #25
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
The only tilt/shift stuff that I've done, I did in software. Like macro work, it just isn't my thing.
I would love to get a real tilt shift lens but they just cost too much. I like doing the software effect from time to time.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #26
Archren
Sham WOW

Those kinds of tilt-shift photos aren't my thing either, but I have a 4x5 Toyo film camera with which I do some tilt-shift stuff (outside of correcting perspective distortion). My inspiration with that comes from one of my teachers who does a lot of work with camera movement distortion: http://pollychandler.com/

-Dr. Seuss
Old 12-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #27
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

I'm more of a documentarian than an artist, so doing the specialty stuff doesn't really appeal to me. I have friends who do everything from corporate portraiture to abstract. Back in college I knew a guy, who went to the Ontario College of Arts, who would take pictures with a Polaroid and then mess with the emulsion, while the picture was developing. He came up with some pretty cool looking stuff that people struggle to recreate these days, using software.

I do like occasionally using legacy glass, like the OM 50mm F1.8 that I snagged as a 'lens cap' for the OM2000 I bought, but it's less and less these days after having bought a great 45mm F1.8 Micro Four-Thirds lens.