Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 09-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300
Default 190/50/17 Dunlop Roadsmart Tire Review

Well I thought I would give a review of my experience with this tire for those maybe looking for additional mileage from their rear tire. This was mounted on my CBR 1000 at 4897 miles and replaced at 10523 with the center section just shy of the cords showing. That’s right I logged a total of 5626 miles on that rear. I was pleased enough that the replacement was yet another Dunlop Roadsmart.

I will not cite any specifications on the tire as you can find that info on Dunlop’s site. I did some research and experimentation with air pressures and for regular commuting I kept the rear at 42psi and for weekend twisty rides 38psi. This tire seemed to hold air pressure very well.

Given the way I ride, use of my bike and considering my budget I wanted to try a sport touring type tire for better mileage without sacrificing grip. I use my bike to commute daily to work 60 miles round trip on the highway so I wanted something with a harder center section. This tire also needed to be able to withstand our weekend jaunts to the GAP, US421, and our other secret NC back road twisty wonders, and it needed to be confidence inspiring in the rain given it’s commuter status.

Out of those 5626 miles the rear stepped/slipped only once and I blame that on road conditions because the guy in front and behind me slipped in that same curve during that ride. I have gained complete confidence in this tire. As far my riding style, I like a decent/face pace, I’m not the fastest or even close for that matter. I don’t ride at the ragged edge all the time so perhaps that is why I was able to obtain this type of mileage. I did not have a chicken strip at all on the left side of this tire, but the right side had say a 3mm strip left.(I never seem to get that right side completely gone on the street) I loved this tire in the rain, very confidence inspiring, so much so that I’ve gone 143mph in rain on this tire.

So I just thought I would pass along what I find to be a good tire that for me has excelled at all I’ve asked it to do. I bought my first for $143 shipped and second for $148 shipped. For what it’s worth I run a Dunlop Qualifier on the front. Makes me wonder how long this tire would last on our F4i, guess there's only one way to find out.

(Mods if this should have been placed elsewhere)
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Thanks! I've been considering some sport touring tires for a while and was wondering how well they would work in the corners. I was thinking Pilot Road 2s. It's a shame I can't get them in 190/55, but 190/50 will work just fine.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

If you do let me know how you like them.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
Thanks! I've been considering some sport touring tires for a while and was wondering how well they would work in the corners. I was thinking Pilot Road 2s. It's a shame I can't get them in 190/55, but 190/50 will work just fine.
The little bit I used mine in the corners they stuck well... I didn't get much of an opportunity to really use them though, so my opinion is slightly less worthless than normal.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
jtemple
Geek

How much of a mileage increase are we talking about on rear tires, anyway? If it's only a 4000 vs. 5500 mileage thing, I will probably just stick to supersport tires. I also like the handling of the 190/55s better than the 190/50s. If I can double the mileage running sport touring tires, I'd be for it.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
How much of a mileage increase are we talking about on rear tires, anyway? If it's only a 4000 vs. 5500 mileage thing, I will probably just stick to supersport tires. I also like the handling of the 190/55s better than the 190/50s. If I can double the mileage running sport touring tires, I'd be for it.
I don't think you are going to double your mileage with the sport touring on the rear of a liter bike. I could have gotten 62-6500 out of mine I'm sure but did not want to push it since I knew we had some mountain rides planned. I just fall into the camp of most of us don't ride at the level of needing a supersport tire or our style of riding does not need a supersport tire.

I think it's funny to see riders with supersport tires with ultrasoft compounds on basically street commuters with 3.5" chicken strips on both sides talking about getting those tires cause they needed grip.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
I don't think you are going to double your mileage with the sport touring on the rear of a liter bike. I could have gotten 62-6500 out of mine I'm sure but did not want to push it since I knew we had some mountain rides planned. I just fall into the camp of most of us don't ride at the level of needing a supersport tire or our style of riding does not need a supersport tire.

I think it's funny to see riders with supersport tires with ultrasoft compounds on basically street commuters with 3.5" chicken strips on both sides talking about getting those tires cause they needed grip.
Hey- I resemble that comment!

Actually, I get about 5,000 out of supersport rears and 10,000 front, and only 7,500 out of the harder stuff front and rear. Not really worth it to me. I found a tire I like, so I'm sticking with it.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
jtemple
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post

My chicken strips are about as small as they can get in my area. I'm probably not riding outside of the limits of a sport touring tire. But, if the benefits are minimal, why sacrifice the grip? That's my logic.