Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #11
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrant View Post
Every time I see an insurance agent drive a nice car, I can't help but think " I wonder how bad he's fucking his clients?" I give out insurance agent / bonding agent shit about that every time he comes to our office.
Independent agents are essentially middle men. No fucking here.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #12
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrant View Post
Every time I see an insurance agent drive a nice car, I can't help but think " I wonder how bad he's fucking his clients?" I give out insurance agent / bonding agent shit about that every time he comes to our office.
I agree, get the Nissan or something else reliable and not give off the image of "I am fucking you in the ass when you sign with me."
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
t-homo
WSB Champion

Anyone have experience with other vehicles on the same level as the Murano? I am more interested in foreign than chevy, ford or dodge.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #14
CasterTroy

If you decide to go with a BMW/MB/Lexus know that you MAY be able to afford the vehicle, but you DO NOT want to own one unless you know what it costs to own one. AND you want to KEEP it.
Trip knows.....ask about BMW maint for a bike
No different for the cars. If you can afford what it takes to properly maintain one, they will last 400k. But you HAVE to be diligent in the maintenance, and be willing to spend the money when and where it's needed.
This is why you don’t see many younger people driving those cars…it’s usually the 45+ crowd. They’re done with buying disposable cars and would rather invest in something long term.
IMHO this also will speak to your potential clients.
Hydrant and Trip are exactly right….whether you’re raping clients or barely making it, the IMPRESSION will be you’re squandering their money.
I’m an engineer, and I don’t make what people perceive engineers to make. But my WIFE does pretty well. As a result we have 2 decent cars, and an explorer. Whenever I go to meet a client or an architect, I ALWAYS drive the explorer. Because if an architect saw me driving a nice car they’d assume our ridiculously LOW fee is WAY too high, and we’d get screwed even harder. So I drive the explorer. Same with a client. I go meet them in the explorer so there isn’t any pretentious impression.
Image is more about how you carry yourself and not what you drive. You can be classy in a pinto
Old 02-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #15
t-homo
WSB Champion

I had thought about that some, didn't realize it was as bad as it is.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #16
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-homo View Post
It is. This is another reason I have the Kia when I pick up clients at the airport.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #17
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
As bad as it normally is, it's a 1000000000000x worse right now cause of the economy. People are saving and insurance is something a lot of people think is a luxury, don't give them any little reason you can control to not sign with you. You can still get a decent car without having one of those fancy logos on it. Get a decent used car and then when you got the cash, get yourself a second car for your off hours.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #18
Bluestreak
What?

Moto: Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
As bad as it normally is, it's a 1000000000000x worse right now cause of the economy. People are saving and insurance is something a lot of people think is a luxury, don't give them any little reason you can control to not sign with you. You can still get a decent car without having one of those fancy logos on it. Get a decent used car and then when you got the cash, get yourself a second car for your off hours.
This is very good advise.

My brother in law sells life insurance. He also gets a new car every year. This is something he takes into consideration when he makes a purchase. He currently drives a Ford sedan.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #19
CasterTroy

BTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Image is more about how you carry yourself and not what you drive. You can be classy in a pinto
Does not apply to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I have the Kia .
You just can't polish a terd

Old 02-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #20
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Started as an insurance agent late last year. Going to be having a lot of evening meetings that I'll be driving myself to and image makes a big ass difference when you live in a small town. I don't have a wife or kids or anything so I don't have a ton of extra expenses.

P.S. the insurance agency is owned by a bank and I have decent credit so I can get cheap ass rates.
That old gag.

Guess what...a Buick is your ideal car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote