Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 07-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
Full Throttle
~Italian Stallion~

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF-R6
Default Brake Light Is always on.

So I've torn my bike apart since i cant ride it at the moment since i have no teeth on my sprocket. And I've noticed that my brake light is always on as if i'm holding the brake lever. It doesn't get any brighter when i hit the brakes either. If anyone has an idea as to why my bike is doing this LMK. Also my sprocket has 50 teeth on it what do yall recommend i get as my next sprocket? Same or smaller?
Old 07-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle View Post
So I've torn my bike apart since i cant ride it at the moment since i have no teeth on my sprocket. And I've noticed that my brake light is always on as if i'm holding the brake lever. It doesn't get any brighter when i hit the brakes either. If anyone has an idea as to why my bike is doing this LMK. Also my sprocket has 50 teeth on it what do yall recommend i get as my next sprocket? Same or smaller?
Check your brake switches, look at the rear one first, see if its out of adjustment by loosening it. Then check the front one. My bet is that it is one of those two. They seem to be by nature adjusted so that the slightest touch of the brakes turns them on, so a small vibration adjustment throws it out of whack

Also maybe the brake isnt on, the dual filament bulb could be damaged and only showing the normal tail light
Old 07-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

^ what he said. If you've adjusted the rear brake pedal at all at any point in the past or if you've just plain never touched the thing it may be making just enough pressure on the switch to trigger it (I had the same problem recently... over time it just turned and tightened itself. I've not added adjustment of said switch as a regular maint. item).

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
derf
token jewboy

I had the problem once on each bike Ive owned, but once adjusted I never thought of it again
Old 07-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Full Throttle
~Italian Stallion~

Yea i messed with th front switch last night and it seemed fine. I haven't looked at the rear one cause by that time it was already past midnight so i just called it a night. But ill look into the back break when i get home and see if anything looks like it needs adjustment.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
Full Throttle
~Italian Stallion~

I checked the rear brake switch and the spring was just really rusted on it and wasnt releasing when i let go of the brake so the button staid pressed i took it off and soaked it in WD-40 and scraped all the rust off and put a rubber sleeve over it and now its fine.
Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
derf
token jewboy

you might want to just go ahead and replace that spring. Its prolly going to rust much quicker now that it has been rusted and cleaned.