Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #1121
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

SBR is short barrel rifle. Any barrel shorter than 16" is an SBR and is taxed.

The lower is the only thing that has a serial on it and it redistered. You can buy as many uppers you want and have shipped to you. Not sure on SBR uppers though. Never owned one.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #1122
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Here here to Bruce Willis.

http://wtop.com/?nid=893&sid=3219352
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #1123
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
From what I understand, the lower is the only part of the gun that is legally considered a firearm and as such, you can order all kinds of variations for the rest of the gun. So, is a stripped lower functional or does it require modification to work? By that I mean, if you add the upper assembly, barrel, etc. will it function?
STRIPPED lower is JUST the machined body of the lower. No "guts" (trigger, trigger guard, safety, hammer, buttstock...NOTHING.

here is a lower with the trigger, hammer, safety and trigger guard

What you HAVE with a stripper lower though is a NUMBER that's sent to ATF to register that weapon in your name. This is why a lower can not be purchased and shipped to your house. It has to go to a dealer. EVERY OTHER PIECE of an AR can be sent directly to you.

Many people order a stripped lower to BUILD a gun the way they want it.

A mil-spec lower will have a trigger that many feel is inferior and want a custom trigger.

Here is the stock configuration

Many people like a "drop-in" that doesn't require chasing springs all over the place when you disassemble it

I have this one in my AR-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
if you add the upper assembly, barrel, etc. will it function?
No...you will need in addition to the stripped lower, the above mentioned items, plus a butt-stock and grip. THIS is an assembled complete lower:

as far as upper, it's several pieces as well.

Stripped upper:

And inside the upper is the bolt and carrier

Then the charging handle...etc

Then you have the barrel and tube

Like Scott said SBR is short barrel.

You can buy ANY upper you want for that complete lower. But if the barrel is shorter than 16" you have to register it as an SBR. The lower then has to be engraved with ownership information to comply with ATF. City, state and owner. Most people will draft a "trust" so that their information is not directly attached to the weapon.

This trust, as well as ownership information has to be kept with the weapon at all times or you're facing $10k fines, 10 years and permanent revocation of firearms. This goes for suppressors or ANYTHING that can be used as suppressor.

As far as purchasing a shorter than 16" barrel...you can do that all day long, and have it sent to you, but unless you have a registered AR-pistol lower or no lower at all (going to BUILD an SBR eventually) if you have in your possession a shorter than 16" barrel upper, and a AR lower that was originally registered as a rifle, then you better hope to God the ATF doesn't come knocking or you're ever caught with the two anywhere near one another. $10k/10yrs
They're fookin serious about that shit! But DahRELL can have 25 stolen guns in his car and get slapped with a misdemeanor

I'm currently putting together paperwork for suppressor and SBR. And should have both by summer. So this should be fun

Last edited by CasterTroy; 02-07-2013 at 08:00 AM..
CasterTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #1124
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

DAMM ^ that looks like alot of work.........lol

2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #1125
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
DAMM ^ that looks like alot of work.........lol
The AR or the post?

I USE to think the AR was too complicated to bother with. I owned AK's and SKS's out the wazzoo before I ever owned an AR.

To ME, the AK (russian....not the mass produced Afgan model you see blow up in everyones face these days) was the honda CB 750 FOUR of guns. Great outta the box. Don't dick with it, and it'll run forever at it's assigned pace.

The AR was more like a Harley. Simple, yet no one EVER left it alone. And the second you do ONE thing, it's a domino effect and you have to have everything custom, and by the end...you don't have a single piece that is stock, and you're constantly having to dick with it to make it work "right"

But now things are different. One piece drop in triggers, bombproof bolt carrier groups, direct gas kits.

Once you understand an AR it's almost stupid NOT to build one the way you want. But just like a harley you really need to own a few before you realize what you DON'T want or like about them.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #1126
RACER X
AMA Supersport

SBR, if you buy a complete built rifle (thats my plan) you don't have to have the lower engraved

daniel defense mk18 10.5" barrel
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #1127
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
SBR, if you buy a complete built rifle (thats my plan) you don't have to have the lower engraved

daniel defense mk18 10.5" barrel
True....because it's registered under it's assigned number AS an SBR. But not many people want to drop $3,000 or better on the purchase at once. It's MUCH more affordable to do so over time.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #1128
RACER X
AMA Supersport

list = $1709

https://danieldefense.com/rifles/car...sbr-black.html

local place has these in stock

solid weapon too
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #1129
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

So realistically, how much could you build an AR yourself for? Seems as if that could be the cheaper route... especially in the long run...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #1130
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
So realistically, how much could you build an AR yourself for? Seems as if that could be the cheaper route... especially in the long run...
Current prices and if you can find the parts? Who knows.

I put mine together for ~$775, not including magazines, 2 years ago(?).
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote