Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 01-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville
Default Summer Michigan Tour

I haven't taken an overnight motorcycle trip since 2004. This is unacceptable.

With the new year I'm given two weeks paid vacation and two weeks unpaid personal leave from work. Probably not practical to use up an entire month on the road-- though that would be amazing-- or even two full weeks, for that matter. I'm thinking one full work week plus the weekends that bookend it.

Slab it home to Flint on a Saturday and slab it back to Georgia two Sundays later. Nine days on the road, with seven available for my tour. May cut the tour to five so I have a couple days to spend with family and friends.

Obviously, I've seen a lot of Michigan already, but it's been years and I'd like to retrace some of my old routes. That said, I would also like to see some places I've yet to ride. Open to suggestions from others in the area.

There are a few routes I remember riding, but can no longer locate on the map. There is a road on the eastern side of the state (lower peninsula) that undulates up and down like a roller coaster for miles and miles, through towns and trees. Never seen anything quite like it, even in the mountains. There is also a 15-20 mile stretch of twisties somewhere north of Trout Lake (???) that I had written down for some time, but I've lost all my old notes. With very few homes, its runs along an inland lake with a little gas station in the middle (awesome venison jerky, and the fuel tank is above ground). Probably lots of others, because I used to spend many weekends wandering aimlessly. Those were the days...

I'm hoping to have some sort of standard by the summer; I currently have a guy semi-interested in trading his low-mileage ZRX1200R for my Miata. If I can't come up with anything by then, the SV will probably get the nod over the Triumph. The drone up I-75 will suck, but it will be fine once I slow it down inside Michigan.

Basic plan thus far: ride the east coast of the lower peninsula up, spend some time riding wherever between Mackinac and Keweenaw Counties (really want to make it back to Copper Harbor), ride down the west coast along Lake Michigan, and cut east from the Muskegon / Grand Haven area back to Flint. Camp as many nights as possible.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Irish Hills.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Irish Hills.
An ex-girlfriend (who was living in Lansing and spending a lot of time in Ann Arbor) once suggested I ride through Irish Hills. Never been there, good suggestion. I could hit it on my way back into Flint.

Assuming this is the area to which you're referring:

Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Rider
Moto GP Star

Stockbridge, Pinkney, Hell, Whitmore Lake is a great area.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Probably not practical to use up an entire month on the road...
Blasphemy! I average 3-4 weeks every year on my trips, and it is very therapeutic. If I can't get at least a week away from home, then vacation isn't long enough!

I'm not super familiar with Michigan, other than to say I want to ride over the Mackinac Bridge still! If you happen to ride over it, I want pics!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Yep, all the towns in this area are cool, with quality peeps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tight.jpg (314.5 KB, 63 views)
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Blasphemy! I average 3-4 weeks every year on my trips, and it is very therapeutic. If I can't get at least a week away from home, then vacation isn't long enough!

I'm not super familiar with Michigan, other than to say I want to ride over the Mackinac Bridge still! If you happen to ride over it, I want pics!
I only get four weeks off MAX per year, and two of those are minus pay, which I typically can't afford. Taking one week on the road leaves me one week paid for individual days off throughout the year as I need them.

I've been across the bridge many times. Riding on the metal grate is an experience, especially when it's windy (when isn't it..?) and wet. Look down and you can see the water, 100+ feet below...

The upper peninsula is travel heaven to me. I haven't ridden in Alaska (yet), but parts of the U.P. are just so desolate and wild. Just me and the trees. I love my Appalachians, too, but it's different up there... no place I'd rather ride.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Default Memories...

Received a birthday greeting this morning from a forum I had forgotten. Searched my old threads and came up with this: Big U.P. Ride Next Year

I had a business plan, I was in contact with other touring agencies, I had routes mapped out, I was beginning to organize with motels and restaurants... and now I don't even remember why I quit.

It was more complicated than I had originally anticipated, and the business may not have made any money, but what a fun way to fail...
Old 01-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
I only get four weeks off MAX per year, and two of those are minus pay, which I typically can't afford. Taking one week on the road leaves me one week paid for individual days off throughout the year as I need them.

I've been across the bridge many times. Riding on the metal grate is an experience, especially when it's windy (when isn't it..?) and wet. Look down and you can see the water, 100+ feet below...

The upper peninsula is travel heaven to me. I haven't ridden in Alaska (yet), but parts of the U.P. are just so desolate and wild. Just me and the trees. I love my Appalachians, too, but it's different up there... no place I'd rather ride.
I agree the mighty mac is awesome! The UP is just that. desolate with nothing but a piece of pavement and trees. Probably just as many bears as people.

Quote:
Received a birthday greeting this morning from a forum I had forgotten. Searched my old threads and came up with this: Big U.P. Ride Next Year

I had a business plan, I was in contact with other touring agencies, I had routes mapped out, I was beginning to organize with motels and restaurants... and now I don't even remember why I quit.

It was more complicated than I had originally anticipated, and the business may not have made any money, but what a fun way to fail...
LOL I use to post on that site... too funny.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra

If you go sometime near the fall leaf change time frame the "tunnel of trees" (google search just that). I think its highway 131 up by Petosky. Not sure about the run on the east side of the state. Let Gas and I know when you come up we will have to make a day trip somewhere.

We were thinkin bout a couple day trips to "Copycat" cities, Brooklyn, Michigan. I know that there a few more but I can't think of them all off the top of my head.

Caveman

caveman is offline   Reply With Quote