Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R
Default Ticket to Ride

No video, but I just went to the Media, PA Kawasaki demo day and had a blast. Got there before 7:45 and still had to wait 30 minutes in line to sign up. No real problems- insurance waiver, license, pick your bikes.

The Ninja 1000 is a great bike. I actually got two rides on that, and one on the Z1000. Scheduled my two rides, then just kept hopping on whenever they had an opening. Rode the Ninja 1000 first thing, then the Versys, Nomad, Ninja 1000 again, and finally the Z1000.

The route was about 70% back roads and 30% short bits of highway. Good ride by the guys in green.

First ride on the Ninja was weird. The clutch is extremely touchy, two of us riding it in this wave stalled it leaving the demo tent. Power is good, but I was a little preoccupied with the blind corners and not running into the schmuck in front of me. All the bikes today, except the cruiser, had the shift lever set WAY too far down. So that took a lot of getting used to.

The Versys isn't as good as the hype. I definitely burst one dude's bubble when I told him it's cramped, the mirrors suck, and it and makes less power than my bike. The rubber pegs and rubber mounted handlebar don't do anything for the vibes. It's really strange stepping UP over a bike, and down... DOWN to the ground. The suspension might be a little better than mine, and the engine definitely revs smoother.

After these two, I signed up to ride the Z1000 at 3pm. The first two rides were at 9:15 and 10. Asked for a map of the route, and rode my bike around it. Stopped at Wimpy's in Media for a burger and onion rings. Not bad. Had to wonder if somebody was making a comment by decorating the bathroom with Corvettes After lunch, I headed back to the demo tent, and decided to kill some time in the mall. Came back out to the tent just in time to hear them call "We have two bikes open for the next ride."

So what do I do. Duh, grabbed one of course. Rode the Nomad just for the hell of it. The Nomad sucked big hairy, ugly, stinking donkey balls. I almost turned that beast around and told them to keep it. It has a windshield that would cover my entire bike, and I was stuck behind that monster in 85-90 degree heat. NO airflow. AT ALL. I was melting. Beyond that, it's a cruiser. No balls. It was supposed to be a 1700, but felt like less guts than the Versys. Revs out way too fast, has no power, too much weight, the usual. Cushy seat and mushy suspension. Though it doesn't handle quite as badly as I expected. I can't get used to looking at my crotch to attempt to see my speed (gauge on the tank), heel-toe shifts and floorboards can kiss my ass, and there's no tach. Basically, it's the perfect ride for going slowly in a straight line and staring at the scenery.

Got back from that experience in one piece. Waited around a bit more, then heard "We've got a Ninja 1000 open." No shit!? Of course I'll take it! Even better this time around. Was behind a couple on a Concourse 14, and some other loser that had no clue. He was afraid to do anything on the second Connie. The two of us on Ninja1000s passed him on a highway bit. Got up to about 90 before we had to turn off again. Soo smooth. Awesome mid-range, but never had enough room to get far up. Only things that are off- the looks and eccentric chain adjusters. I have no experience with them.

Finally 3pm came around, and I got to ride the Z1000. All the good stuff from the Ninja, plus much better looks. More vibes in the bars- a lot more. My right hand was hurting after the 25 minute ride. Mirrors are pretty much junk unless you squirm all around, but I'd plan to install bar-ends anyway. Only things I don't like are the all-digital dash and vibration through the bars.

Great day all in all. Riding my bike home, I realized I need to do a tune-up. Need to replace the brake fluid, clean the air filter, inspect the spark plugs, adjust the chain, all that.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Nice review. I also liked the Ninja 1000. I didn't ride the Connie because I like to think my CBR is still a great sport tourer. They couldn't pay me to ride one of those cruisers.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

no zx10?
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

We went yesterday. BF rode the Z1000, ninja 1000 and the Connie. Lines were long, even in the 100 degree heat. I was too short to reach the shifter on the Vulcan 900, so no test rides for me.

And will agree with the vibes on the Z1000, even from the passenger seat. Felt pretty good back there on my butt and and sore feet, but it can't be good on the rider.

Last edited by Fleck750; 07-18-2011 at 12:03 AM..
Fleck750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
We went yesterday. BF rode the Z1000, ninja 1000 and the Connie. Lines were long, even in the 100 degree heat. I was too short to reach the shifter on the Vulcan 900, so no test rides for me.

And will agree with the vibes on the Z1000, even from the passenger seat. Felt pretty good back there on my butt and and sore feet, but it can't be good on the rider.
I have heard the ninja 1000 is a little buzzy too withthe vibrations
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote