Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

What did you think of the digital dash? With all that bright sun, could you read it at all?

I'm definitely not a fan of the fuel gauge being larger tha the tach, and the tach being a strange shape. The new 650R is the same way. I'd be really interested to hear from the taller people- and the guys. Since there are... special considerations

Funny to see that one lonely green Versys
Old 02-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #12
acalliste
Canyon Carver

Moto: gsx-r750

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Loved the review. I sat on one of these recently and wondered. So glad that sport bikes can be made in different styles now. Seems like in the good old days, standards handled like standards, sportbikes like sportbikes, and budget rides like budget bikes. Nice to see well designed bikes in a variety of styles.

Thanks, and yes I agree.

The Kawi guys mentioned how they were so glad the Z1000 was there, because they were getting to the age where they couldn't ride a full on race-bred sport bike all day anymore. While I don't think this bike is an "old man's" bike at all, I do appreciate the performance in a more comfortable package. There will come a day when I can't ride my 750 across the state and back.
acalliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
acalliste
Canyon Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
What did you think of the digital dash? With all that bright sun, could you read it at all?

I'm definitely not a fan of the fuel gauge being larger tha the tach, and the tach being a strange shape. The new 650R is the same way. I'd be really interested to hear from the taller people- and the guys. Since there are... special considerations

Funny to see that one lonely green Versys
I didn't have a problem with the gauges, except sometimes I had a hard time focusing on the numbers for the tach (6 vs 8 mostly). But once I got used to it, I knew where it was without actually needing to read numbers, just by position.

I did notice in my video that the camera couldn't always read the display. If the gauge was in sunlight, you can read it. If it's in shade you can't. But I didn't notice any difference in person, and didn't struggle to read the display while I was riding at all.

I would imagine the bike would be better for taller people. Better than a supersport for sure.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
acalliste
Canyon Carver

Also keep in mind that the gauge is adjustable without any tools. It can be pivoted, so if you have a hard time seeing it, it's possible to adjust it to where you can.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #15
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Too bad they dont make a fully faired version
Old 02-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #16
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by acalliste View Post
Thanks, and yes I agree.

The Kawi guys mentioned how they were so glad the Z1000 was there, because they were getting to the age where they couldn't ride a full on race-bred sport bike all day anymore. While I don't think this bike is an "old man's" bike at all, I do appreciate the performance in a more comfortable package. There will come a day when I can't ride my 750 across the state and back.
Thats the crux of it. I CAN ride a 600 or 750 all day. BUT i wont enjoy 60 pct of the ride. The moments that are most often occuring are the ride to a from the twisties, the ride to the gasp pumps and cafes.

Modern supersports are so racetrack ready that they are uncompromising. Having a bike that works all the time is worth sacrificing that last 10 pct of performance and handling for. And for the other there is still the supersport category.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #17
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

That's awesome and a great write up!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #18
acalliste
Canyon Carver

Thanks Kell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Thats the crux of it. I CAN ride a 600 or 750 all day. BUT i wont enjoy 60 pct of the ride. The moments that are most often occuring are the ride to a from the twisties, the ride to the gasp pumps and cafes.

Modern supersports are so racetrack ready that they are uncompromising. Having a bike that works all the time is worth sacrificing that last 10 pct of performance and handling for. And for the other there is still the supersport category.

It's not as much of a sacrifice as you might think. The Z1000 can do the 90% better and the 10% just as well for the level that most people ride on the street, so it's not really a sacrifice or a compromise. The Z can hold it's own there. It can take you to the same level of law-breaking as a 600 or 750 supersport. lol And obviously, it's not a race bike.

The compromise for some people will be because it doesn't look like a race replica.

However, I bet the insurance will be less.... to have that handling and performance in a comfy bike and low insurance rates? Hmmm....

I am not planning on trading my 750. But I'd like to have the Z1000 as well, and have the choice. But I can see where the Z would probably take over most of my street ride time.

Last edited by acalliste; 02-15-2010 at 09:55 PM..
Old 02-15-2010, 10:17 PM   #19
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Nice writeup....I ride the Ortega (where the Lookout and Hells kitchen are located) every weekend. You should have let us know when you were going to be there.

I just bought an 09 ZX6r...Kawi is def. getting their act together.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #20
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

Great review. That must have been a great time. I love the looks of that bike.
ontwo is offline   Reply With Quote