Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Well if we're really talking wanting to be warm you should go for a heated vest over grips or gloves because it sends out warm blood to your extremities.

But I think the grips are much better since you can wear whatever gloves you want AND heated gloves are cumbersome.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Well if we're really talking wanting to be warm you should go for a heated vest over grips or gloves because it sends out warm blood to your extremities.

But I think the grips are much better since you can wear whatever gloves you want AND heated gloves are cumbersome.

My hands are the only thing that gets cold. Wearing a heated vest wont help me if I'm already warm. I'll just be hot. Your heart will only pump as much blood as it's told to at a specific rate. I have less than stellar blood flow in my hands and my arteries aren't that big.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Apparently I'm not the only one who can't read...

have you considered glove liners? They are cheap and actually do a very good job of keeping your hands warm.

Heated,
http://www.brookstone.com/battery-he...ve-liners.html

Non-Heated
http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...ve/1006610-002

Silk-very thin but effective,
http://www.amazon.com/Terramar-S491-...ef=pd_sim_sg_4
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #14
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Heated grips are okay... But they only work as well as you can keep the wind off your hands. Down through about 35 degrees, heated grips and insulated gloves are great. Below that, I've tried insulated leather gloves, uninsulated leather gloves with the silk/wool/UA liners, and either combination with grip heaters. After a while, the cold wind always bleeds through. Those battery powered liners look great (and reasonably priced at $50), since I DO NOT want to be wired to my bike.

Gerbings does have some battery powered gear, but it's not meant for riding- it doesn't have as many heating elements. If you had the right battery pack though, you could run their moto-specific stuff without wiring to the bike.
Moto Glove Liners: http://gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/liner.html
Moto Jacket Liner: http://gerbing.com/Products/Liners/h...cketLiner.html
Battery Jacket Liner: http://www.gerbing.com/coreheat.net/...%20Jacket.html

There are also Hippo Hands (http://www.hippohands.com/Hippo%20Hands.htm) and bark busters...

Last edited by Phenix_Rider; 02-20-2010 at 12:40 AM..
Phenix_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #15
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

I'm in the same boat that you are. I rode to work the past two days with the temps in the high 20's, and after 30 minutes, the tips of my fingers were numb. I spoke with a dealer who rides year round, and his preference was heated grips. I think I'm gonna buy a pair just to see how they do. I hate the idea of heated gloves being attached to the bike. I'm so scatter brained, I would rip the cord out the first time I used them.

That is unless I can find out where Tigger got the hand warmers in his pic. I don't know how they would look on the bike, but I'm willing to try
Old 02-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #16
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Personally I think electric gloves would be stupid. They wouldn't have enough "feel" as regular race gloves, and they'd have a wire hooked up to them. Nobody I know uses them. Heated grips are enough. The back of your hands don't get all that cold, that part of the glove always has more protection anyway.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #17
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

I have heated grips on 3 of my bikes. As noted even with insulated gloves at 30 or below the backs of your hands get cold. The upside particularly here in New England where we have WIDE temp swings through the course of the day is that the heated grips are always on the bike. Nothing extra to carry or plug in. So if I ride starts in the morning before sunrise you can wear a light pair of gloves and a low setting you are good later in the day you shut the grips off and no extra baggage. If a trips stretches into the evening and it gets cool or cold again turn them on and it is great.
I would recommend the Oxford product. Their base package has 5 settings for heat. I installed those on the B King. I have Hot Grips ($69) on the Busa they have a Hi Lo and off. That translates to not quite enough or Damn that is hot. So when I ride that bike I wind up switching back and forth not really a problem and for another $39 they will sell you a variable controller. Vs The Oxford Grip Package (not the wrap) which was $70 for the package.
Again for me because I am a bit lazy and don't want to carry a bunch of extra gear the heated grips are the right choice.
I am also considering for the B King http://cozywinters.com/shop/heated-motorcycle-seat.html
Say what you want the heated seat makes all the difference on the Goldwing

Last edited by nhgunnut; 02-20-2010 at 12:00 PM..
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #18
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Personally I think electric gloves would be stupid. They wouldn't have enough "feel" as regular race gloves, and they'd have a wire hooked up to them. Nobody I know uses them. Heated grips are enough. The back of your hands don't get all that cold, that part of the glove always has more protection anyway.
Yea that's why I always used silk liners and they are get super small when it warms up during the day... To be honest, I LOVE to ride but as I've gotten older, I've decided that there is such a thing as "quality" of ride and I'm not feeling it when I have to be terrified of every shimmer on the road and I'm bundled up, barely able to move freely... Of course, that's just me but I can always ride another day if it's below about 50 degrees...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:52 PM   #19
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

new first gear thermaflex gloves are good to about 45

heated grips with above gloves are good to about 35-40

moose racing paw gauntlets with above are good well below 25, I haven't taken the bike out below that because my other gear gets a lot colder first
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #20
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Hell, I used race gloves with nothing else for plenty of 35-40 degree rides to work........Is it optimal, no, but I don't see the big deal unless you're riding longer than half an hour. If you are, then just add some grip warmers. Fuck thick gloves, they suck.

Last edited by Homeslice; 02-20-2010 at 11:53 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote