Old 02-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #21
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
new first gear thermaflex gloves are good to about 45

heated grips with above gloves are good to about 35-40

moose racing paw gauntlets with above are good well below 25, I haven't taken the bike out below that because my other gear gets a lot colder first
Yes anything thing that Keeps the wind off the back of your hands is going to greatly improve the performance of gloves or heated grips. For Suzuki riders you can adapt the Hand protectors from a V Strom pretty easily to any of their sport bikes. I am sure that Dirt Riders my have some other suggestions,
Old 02-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #22
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

The Moose gauntlets work good... But the hippo hands work better. They're the same idea... Just hippo hands are larger... Both in how much of your arm they cover and how much of the handle bar or clip on they cover.

They can make using the controls difficult but you get used to it... Or atleast I did
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:25 AM   #23
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Personally I think electric gloves would be stupid. They wouldn't have enough "feel" as regular race gloves, and they'd have a wire hooked up to them. Nobody I know uses them. Heated grips are enough. The back of your hands don't get all that cold, that part of the glove always has more protection anyway.
You live in California.

Your views on heated anything, are pretty much useless.

JC
Old 02-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #24
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
You live in California.

Your views on anything, are pretty much useless.

JC
FTFY

I use Gerbings heated gloves for anything less than 38 degrees on the BMW's or below 45 on the motard (no protection)

Heated grips are GREAT for slightly chilly weather, but the wind hits the OUTSIDE of your hand and not the inside. I've found that regular racing gloves with heated grips feel good...but below 38 the inside of your palm maybe toasty while outside of your hand is damn near frost-bitten.

The Gerbing gloves are thicker than my gauntlet gloves, but nothing like cold weather gloves, so they are manageable. I recently bought some heated pants and socks and hope to give those a shot on the ride to Barber in the next few weeks.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #25
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
You live in California.

Your views on heated anything, are pretty much useless.

JC
I'm quite sure we get more cold nights & mornings than Georgia ever does. The whole "Mediterrenean climate" thing is only true within 2 miles of the beach. Go beyond that and you're fucked.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #26
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Yea that's why I always used silk liners and they are get super small when it warms up during the day... To be honest, I LOVE to ride but as I've gotten older, I've decided that there is such a thing as "quality" of ride and I'm not feeling it when I have to be terrified of every shimmer on the road and I'm bundled up, barely able to move freely... Of course, that's just me but I can always ride another day if it's below about 50 degrees...
You and me both! I don't need some stupid "I rode in "winter" award" like a lot of people seem to need.

I don't enjoy anything about a ride where I spend more of my mental energy focused on staying warm than on enjoying the ride.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #27
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post

I don't enjoy anything about a ride where I spend more of my mental energy focused on staying warm than on enjoying the ride.
Hence why I (personally) HAVE heated gear. WITH it...there is no fatigue associated with shivering, or mental drain. The RIGHT heated gear can be as comforting as an electric blanket. As a matter of fact, the days I commute on the bike in the cold weather, I arrive at the office a great deal warmer than the days I take the cage. And I typically STAY warmer thruout the day, where I'm normally a little chilly in the office.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #28
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Hence why I (personally) HAVE heated gear. WITH it...there is no fatigue associated with shivering, or mental drain. The RIGHT heated gear can be as comforting as an electric blanket. As a matter of fact, the days I commute on the bike in the cold weather, I arrive at the office a great deal warmer than the days I take the cage. And I typically STAY warmer thruout the day, where I'm normally a little chilly in the office.
Meh. I don't live in a locale that offers year round ride (despite what others might say). It's a fact of my life that I have to put the bike away in the fall and get it out in spring.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #29
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Meh. I don't live in a locale that offers year round ride (despite what others might say). It's a fact of my life that I have to put the bike away in the fall and get it out in spring.

True.....and that would drive me NUTS. use too...(before Al Gore sent us into a polar nuclear winter) we would get the occational 70 degree day in Jan/feb and it'd be on like donkey king, so the bikes are always ready...but this year it's been 50's that bring all the bikes out
Old 02-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #30
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Before I had heated grips I didn't like to ride below 40. After the heated grips I can comfortably ride down to 30, with my winter gloves on of course.

Another thing I LOVED about heated grips is that getting caught in the rain isn't so miserable. Even in the summer, I don't have rain resistant gloves so even temps in the 60's with rain they really made a difference.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote