Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #11
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I like it

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
D&D. The worst exhaust a person can pay money for. LOL

I'd like to see her face before seeing her ass.
Not on a Duc.

Nice bike, OTB.

I really love the SS bikes.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Hey OTB, what you think you'll ask for that Benelli?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Hey OTB, what you think you'll ask for that Benelli?

Book is around $8600, I see them listed with 8-10k miles for $10-11K but I think that is California Dreamin' money. I figure with the Leo Vince and the extra CF bits + originals that I'll list it for $8900 and be happy with $8500.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...tornado&hl=en#
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Not on a Duc.

Nice bike, OTB.

I really love the SS bikes.
I love the 904/944 two-valve motors....buckets of torque, light and compact but easy to work on with enough HP to make things exciting, with a great feel and virtually no "issues" with the exception of too-small gauge wires from the alternator that causes some toasting of rectifiers; and some 95-97 motors had stretchy cylinder studs (fixed under warranty, usually) but if you address that wiring issue, change the oil and keep the belts current, they usually will run forever...

Smooth, even power delivery and hotted up Hi-comp pistons and a little flow work on the heads, Nichols flywheel and you have 100+ hp with 80-90 ft lbs of torque......in a package with a full tank of gas that can weigh in the 375lb range.....
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #16
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
I love the 904/944 two-valve motors....buckets of torque, light and compact but easy to work on with enough HP to make things exciting, with a great feel and virtually no "issues" with the exception of too-small gauge wires from the alternator that causes some toasting of rectifiers; and some 95-97 motors had stretchy cylinder studs (fixed under warranty, usually) but if you address that wiring issue, change the oil and keep the belts current, they usually will run forever...

Smooth, even power delivery and hotted up Hi-comp pistons and a little flow work on the heads, Nichols flywheel and you have 100+ hp with 80-90 ft lbs of torque......in a package with a full tank of gas that can weigh in the 375lb range.....
you forgot that they sound TITS
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #17
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
D&D. The worst exhaust a person can pay money for. LOL
Which confuses me, because they make the best snowmobile exhausts (and performace parts) in the world, hands down, but for bikes, they seem happy to make underperforming crap that is extremely loud, with horrible sound.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #18
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Which confuses me, because they make the best snowmobile exhausts (and performace parts) in the world, hands down, but for bikes, they seem happy to make underperforming crap that is extremely loud, with horrible sound.
They pretty much make empty cans and the sound just echos inside them. Every bike I've heard with one sounded bad. I'd rather them just run straight pipe.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:19 AM   #19
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
For sportbikes yes. I have heard some nice D&D pipes on a HD before. NOt recently though...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #20
Scot
Kneedragger

Moto: varies

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
You don't have to wait to grow up...just do what I did and do today:

I am just another working stiff. I teach at a private school and make less than public school teachers; so I'm not 'zackly rolling in money.

Ten years ago i was bikeless and all but broke. I convinced my wife to let me use $1000 of our scarce cash to find a bike, rehab it and flip it; I had to repay the household fund from that first bike sale, but the cash I made over and above I got to use as my motorcycle fund.

I found a 10+ year-old bike with low miles in excellent cosmetic (but carb sit-itus non-running) condition for my budget. I spent hours but very few dollars getting it running and pristine as possible; sold the bike in two days and doubled my cash. Payed back the bike fund and never looked back.

For those of you who say "Sure, but a grand won't get you ANYTHING now"; I say BS. I just picked up a low miles, neglected but running Buell Blast for $500, cleaned it, tuned it and put it through inspection (total cost of parts and inspection $110) and delivered it yesterday for over twice my cash layout.

I post the snazzy, unusual or fun finds that I get , ride and flip, but most of the bread and butter stuff I never post on here; It's cleaned up and resold in a day or two; I often never ride many of the bikes I sell...

And I don't bat 1000: About 1 out of 10 or so I may break even or actually lose money. Sometimes it's because of hidden mechanical issues, sometimes it's because I've misjudged the market for that particular bike; sometimes I forget and buy based on what I like rather than what is best for a quick turn (Like that snazzy Benelli; it's going to take MONTHS to move that, and I might take a bath; ...but what a COOL bike!).

I am just an average joe...if you want to do this, it's just takes time, a little patience, some research and a little bit of startup cash......

I do the exact same thing. However, I have the inside track and score bikes @ wholesale or less. I pick up basket cases and non-runners over the winter to flip in warmer weather. You bat a little better than I do. I make money on 2/3rds of what I take in. The bikes I buy are all bikes I've wanted in the past...so even if I lost a few bucks, I still have the fun of wrenching and riding them for however long I choose.
Scot is offline   Reply With Quote