Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Around the World > Southeast Riders > Florida Riders

Old 01-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #3301
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angee View Post
I had one at her age and they had to put a "wick" in my jaw by the tooth to drain it. Sounds horrible, but it was far better than the pain of the infected tooth. It didn't bother me except for the fact that it was something sticking out of my gums that wasn't supposed to be there. I'd definitely give the dentist a call...is she drinking lots of water? Fluids might help her system flush that crap out, I would think...

Besides, you're supposed to drink plenty when you're on antibiotics anyway.
Dental abcess and peri tonsilar abcess are 2 different animals. I dont think they put a wick in a PTA, at least I havent seen them do that, I don tknow if I would want a dentist poking around back there. Either a good ER guy (ok I am biased) or an ENT doc. You mess up back there and yo uhave problems. The internal carottid artery is right behind the tonsils. You go too far and hit that and its game over.

Best thing she can do is keep hydrated and see how it goes later. I have seen patients with a case of what looked like strep and were given antibiotics and a day or 2 later return with a whopping abcess. Hopefully thats not the case here, and would like ot be wrong on this one but given the info I have been I dont think i am.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #3302
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Let's hope it doesn't...for her sake and mine. I'm hoping the dosage given isn't strong enough for her system or maybe it's taking a while to show improvement because it's so bad. I'd rather hope for better instead of having to hold her down for a "not fun" procedure. I've been there, done that before when she got burned by boiling water. Trust me, it wasn't fun holding a 10 year old down for them to scrub burned skin.
if it is a PTA the pennicliilin she was given will no tbe sufficient, its like spitting on a forrest fire to put it out. if I were susoicious of one in m ypatients I would give either augmentin or clinda as well as an IV loading dose and hope for the best.

I agree that I hope I am wrong, but its my job/mindset to look for and worry about this sort of stuff.

I should be here till around 5 and will be in the ER tonight so keep me updated.

Tom
Old 01-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #3303
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
if it is a PTA the pennicliilin she was given will no tbe sufficient, its like spitting on a forrest fire to put it out. if I were susoicious of one in m ypatients I would give either augmentin or clinda as well as an IV loading dose and hope for the best.

I agree that I hope I am wrong, but its my job/mindset to look for and worry about this sort of stuff.

I should be here till around 5 and will be in the ER tonight so keep me updated.

Tom
Will do. Of course I've only been relaying to you what she's told me. The only thing I've noticed that's different is the slight swelling. I've felt of her glands and there's none that are swollen (mine swell anytime I get the least bit of infection ). I'm not saying you're not a good doc...err.. PA, however sight unseen and only going by word of mouth, without a true examination, I hope you're a little off base. I appreciate all the help and advice. If anything, you've prepared me, at least, for a possibly bigger problem. And that really does help me alot. Especially with her. You wanna come help me hold her down if they have to drain it? I don't think I'm big enough to anymore.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #3304
Angee
Dutch's PITA

Moto: I ride Dutch...and an 09 Kawi 250

I'm running on the assumption that it is a tooth...didnt know about the PTA issue...

I didn't know it was that far back...mine was the 3rd molar. The PITA is that most dentists wont or cant really pull the affected tooth until the infection goes down and that doesn't seem to be happening here...hopefully it's just slow and starts to subside today. I've had every kind of oral surgery (yeah, insert smart-ass comment here :P) known to the dental world and they all sucked, but the relief I got from that abcess made that particular surgery worth it. That WAS in the 80s too, so not sure they even do that any more.

Rogue, is she doing the warm packs? it seemed to help me, but not sure what you're dentist says about it...I'd ask him if moist heat might help, if for no other reason than to relieve some pain...I feel so bad for her...
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Those things are awesome. We gave out the clap and syphilis last christmas.

Last edited by Angee; 01-20-2009 at 09:24 AM..
Angee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #3305
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Quote:
I'm running on the assumption that it is a tooth...didnt know about the PTA issue...

I didn't know it was that far back...mine was the 3rd molar. The PITA is that most dentists wont or cant really pull the affected tooth until the infection goes down and that doesn't seem to be happening here...hopefully it's just slow and starts to subside today. I've had every kind of oral surgery (yeah, insert smart-ass comment here :P) known to the dental world and they all sucked, but the relief I got from that abcess made that particular surgery worth it. That WAS in the 80s too, so not sure they even do that any more.

Rogue, is she doing the warm packs? it seemed to help me, but not sure what you're dentist says about it...I'd ask him if moist heat might help, if for no other reason than to relieve some pain...I feel so bad for her...
Mini-Me's is the 2nd molar, bottom right.

I've had an abscess so bad it landed me in bed for days until the infection finally went away. Stupid teeth and my vitamin difeciency, along with heredity issues.

Heat seems to help her (dry heat). Putting some pressure on it helps too. I also used the little cotton trick you told me about last night on her this morning and it seemed to help it. It took a little while though and we changed it three times, I think, before she got some relief.

She's still asleep and so far this is the longest she's slept in the last couple of days. I'm letting her sleep and checking on her. I have a stupid meeting at work today @ 12:30, but if she wakes up and it's not any better, I won't be going and more than likely I won't be making it to work tonight. I've already got it cleared with my manager if I need to take off.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Myspace
Old 01-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #3306
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
and 3 gameas of bouwling lather

I prefer shaving lather, but to each his own.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #3307
Angee
Dutch's PITA

Moto: I ride Dutch...and an 09 Kawi 250

Hey Rogue, how's mini-me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Those things are awesome. We gave out the clap and syphilis last christmas.
Angee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #3308
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
10 shots of jack... and 3 gameas of bouwling lather and I'm OUT! nihgt!
drunk boy, have another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #3309
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Quote:
Hey Rogue, how's mini-me?
She seems to be doing better, right now. I told her that if she wasn't showing an improvment by this evening, she'd be going back to the ER. That may have had something to do with it.

Quote:
Myspace
Old 01-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #3310
tommymac
Moto GP Star

I am screwed tonight, maybe see yall in several hours.

tom