Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-30-2009, 04:38 AM   #1
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600
Default Proof that I have lost my mind (Crazy Trip)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,28.564453&z=6

What do yall think?

Tent and a sleeping bag most of the entire trip and avoid highways for the most part.

I have people to visit and I have decided I am giving up on Atlanta and going back to Alaska. Gonna do it via bike. Wanted to do it in under 30 days but I would rather slow down and enjoy the journey.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.

Last edited by Quick281; 01-30-2009 at 04:42 AM..
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:46 AM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

from indy to denver you're gonna wanna kill yourself.

and do yourself a favor... fallow the coast all the way up to seaside... or pacific city (your choice) THEN head back in to I5 in portland...

I5 south of portland is boring... the drive up the coast will be much better... you can stop in Tillamook and go to the cheese factory (seriously good cheese)

I take it your driving as you wanna go to barrow... just watch your self... the truck drivers OWN that road... they will not slow down... they WILL RUN YOU OFF THE ROAD... happened to a friend who was driving up there... trucks run 100mph+ up and down that road in the summer...

also expect to distroy your tires on that road. same friend went through three brand new BFG A/T... lucky he had two spairs and the third tire was only a nail and was fixed with a plug
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:52 AM   #3
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Yeah the long straightness will kill me so I may look up plenty of cool things to do along the way.

The route is my rough draft, I figured I would go coastal on the west coast.

I was going to do barrow on the bike if it is remotely possible but I already know it is nuts in a car. Just figured I could take my time but I know the road is narrow and truckers could less about my existence. Just sucks to go all that way and not get to the end.

Figured I can hustle through the flatlands and have the Rockies to look forward to. And the Alaskan highway will be fun again.

I am going to start working on tools/equipment I should start gathering.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:09 AM   #4
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

How ironic, I finalize something like this on Escape Day.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

I've been planning a similar trip for a long time. 48 states in 7 days!

I have a suggestion or two for you though.

Find a different route east to west than I-70. BORING.

Secondly, *when* are you planning on doing this trip? The Haul Road (north of Fairbanks) is barely passable in the heat of the summer. It's not really *paved*, they just call it that. It's overlaid with gravel every year, but because of the permafrost, yeah. You can do the math. In the summer, the high in Prudhoe Bay/Barrow is generally 32 degrees. Are you prepared gear-wise for a trip like that? Heated gear? Also, bear in mind that riding your bike up that 400ish mile stretch of road will do alot of damage. Be prepared for that. You also will want a buddy along on that stretch of road. It's pretty difficult and definitely not one to do by yourself. If something happens, you're stuck. There's very little traffic up there, and a wrecker will cost you $5 per mile if you have to call one. Oh yeah, be sure you rent a satellite phone, as there aren't cell towers up there, so your cell phone will be useless. Do you have 280 miles of fuel range? Once you leave Fairbanks, the first services are 280 miles north. You'll need to take fuel with you.

Basically, what I'm saying is alot more research is necessary before just saying *I want to ride to Barrow.* I've done it, as I fully intend to ride up there one day in the near future.

You might want to start googling the Haul Road, Prudhoe Bay, etc. to get info. Also, if you go to the bookstore, you'll find a book in the Travel section called "The Milepost". It's sole purpose is to detail road conditions and services each year on all of Alaska's roads.

Yeah, you are a little crazy. I am too, but I've been accused of that for a long time and I fully embrace the craziness.

Last edited by G-Rex; 01-30-2009 at 07:34 AM..
G-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
cuttle
now available w/o fish

Moto: DR650, Morini, 1/2 M900ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

Find a different route east to west than I-70. BORING.
that's was my first thought too!

Why would anybody ever take I70 through Kansas on a bike

- R. K. Milholland
cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

To get all the way "up" that haul road I believe you need permission. You might want to check into that. By "permission" I mean from the oil companies to get into Prudhoe Bay.

There is a book called "Walking my Dog Jane" about a guy who walked (most of the way by himself) with his dog for the entire pipeline road. Great book with great details of the road itself.

Whatever you decide, there better be TONS of pictures...
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
. Also, if you go to the bookstore, you'll find a book in the Travel section called "The Milepost". It's sole purpose is to detail road conditions and services each year on all of Alaska's roads.

The Milepost is a terrific resource. I wouldn't travel in Alaska without it.
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

If it were me, instead of going straight down the middle of Florida and returning the same way, I'd go down one coast and return up the other side.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
Lucky3623
Official Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post

What do yall think?

Tent and a sleeping bag most of the entire trip and avoid highways for the most part.

I have people to visit and I have decided I am giving up on Atlanta and going back to Alaska. Gonna do it via bike. Wanted to do it in under 30 days but I would rather slow down and enjoy the journey.
Nice distance... I see you are going though WY... my Aunt and Uncle own a liquor store in Douglass... Good times!
Lucky3623 is offline   Reply With Quote